main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tatooine: the impossible planet

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Blinded, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blinded

Blinded Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    okay, why does tatooine have oxygen when there is no plant life?

2. allenj456

allenj456 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2002
    You dont know there is no plant life-- in TPM lil anakin give qui gon some sort of fruit...

3. Pimpleyone

Pimpleyone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    I always assumed that if there was no surface vegetation on Tatooine there must be a series of great caverns or caves below the surface containing oceans and plants or even a forest, which periodically release Oxygen to the surface.

4. ImDaBudge

ImDaBudge Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Nothing is impossible in the SW universe. For all of you who are into the EU, the Yuuzhan Vong have living machines that do everything, including provide oxygen. How do you know that someone hadn't bioengineered some micro-organism to produce air for them to breathe.

Or there could be a small amount of plant life at the poles. Tatooine is so sparsly populated that a large amount of oxygen renewal is needed.

Did you ever think about Coruscant? There isn't enough plant life there to keep billions of people alive, so where is the oxygen coming from? Artifical means, that's where.

5. Blinded

Blinded Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    i would stand by the not enough renewal thing but i do not beleive that someone would waste a bunch of money for an oxygen machine when there isnt any reason to be on the planet in the first place.
    i mean what does tatooine have to offer other than moisture farming which isnt going to get you very far.

oh and the fruits, they were hydroponically grown but they wernt even plants those were pallies. 'pallies' were some sort of bread

6. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Couriscant has air filters that filter the air and keep it breathable and there is also the fungus that grows in the underlevels that helps.

7. ImDaBudge

May 2, 2002
    I'm sure that there are enough planets that are perfect for life, save breathable air, that someone would come up with a machine or something to provide it.

Maybe they stole the air from Duidia... (like in Spaceballs) :D

8. Blinded

Blinded Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
  9. bamm

bamm Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2002
    Did you ever think that is what the moisture farms are for???

10. Blinded

Blinded Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    nope think about this, they only process the air! they dont make oxygen... how would they get moola from making oxygen! there is no governmant... and the hutts arent going to pay you they could care less, the moisture farms have nothing to do with it!

11. YodasLightSaber23

YodasLightSaber23 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    I am going to stick with ImDaBudge on this one. He has some excellent points about the oxygen being made, and how there isn't a huge need of recycling. Also, there is that huge plant/animal that they tried to throw luke in(can't think of the name sorry). I think that would be classified as a plant, so there has to be other plant life there. Sides, it is Star Wars Universe, for all we know they could have stolen air from Duidia...heh.

12. Blinded

Blinded Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    well first its name is the sarlacc and and it is more of a worm than a plant it goes through space as a 'seed' or 'pod' and if it gets caght if definate gravity it will germinate its self and start to grow and it only needs food ever thousand years so its not like it is in demand for oxygen cause oxygen is actually a corrosive gas so it would have to not breath or not breath often

13. Pichilingi

Pichilingi Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    Lack of water could be explained away by pockets of desert plant life and fungi and such. However, I believe I read somewhere that it couldn't exist because of the twin suns (or is it three?). The gravity well produced by binary suns is such that a planet can't stay intact.

14. YodasLightSaber23

YodasLightSaber23 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    It can in the star wars universe.

15. ImDaBudge

May 2, 2002
    For prosperity, I need to mention that I mistyped. I typed "Duidia" when actualy the planet in Spaceballs is "Druidia."

16. Blinded

Blinded Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002
    yeah it turns out that studies say that there might be about .03% of all the planets in the galaxy are hibitable by life, that like by jupiter's europa with just water and the posibility of life now thats another .03% of those habitable may have animals and .03% of those may have sentient life. and then divide that by the ones that we may possibly get to in say ten lifetimes (800-900) years and we have a grand total: of two

so that comes to about 2 in a billion planets that can sustain life and that we can do anything about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.