TCG Card Hall of Shame. Celebrating the useless and/or the bizarre.

Discussion in 'Games: TCG' started by Loyal-Guard, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling

star 1
    One of the things Ive been considering lately about the TCG is that since it's a given that the pro decks are kept to a minimum of cards, a lot of the weirder, lower powered unit cards, or more esoteric battle or mission cards, often fall by the wayside to make room for the more dependable standbys like Jedi's or what not.

I dont have the access to the same ammount of cards that a lot of people who post here do (I've never been able to get a hold of either ANH or BOY sets), nor do i really strive to make killer decks. Personally, I just enjoy throwing together some cards (with a modicum of stragegy), and just seeing what can happen. But I can understand how any unit can be of some use given the right handling. That's part of what makes the game work so well.

Still, I've encountered a handful of cards I've tried and failed to make much use out of for various reasons. Im hoping this thread will be a place to name some of them, our experiences with their percieved lousiness and how they may have lost some games for us, and maybe, debate as to how they can be saved from the eternal discard pile. So if there's a unit here that someone likes, hey, stand up for it. Let your voice be heard.

Ill start it off. Keep in mind that as of this writing I only have ATOC and SR cards.

1. Taylander Shuttle (Space-ATOC). I used to call this one the "Space Cow" since it existed to only get slaughtered. I would still put one of these in my decks just as a stalling tactic. Belive it or not, once I played a game that ended up hinging on this unit surviving aginst a Republic Assult Ship. I honestly believed it would make it. It didn't...

2. Rickshaw (Ground ATOC) Yeah, this one is something allright. I cant recall ever being able to use this one with any luck either. Although it's exactly the same as the Taylander shuttle, I've never used it for the same stalling reason since I imagine that anyone who rides to battle in a rickshaw deserves what they get.

3. Tyranus's Geonosian Speeder (Ground ATOC) This is one of those units I want to use since it can snatch important battle cards from your deck into your hand. But it's got the duribility of a paper airplane, and it's build cost (6) is a bit too high.

Well, that's it for now. Hope I've given everyone something fun to bat back and forth.

later,
    loyal-guard, over and out.
  2. Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 2
    What about Cliegg Lars.........he doesn't seem too useful.
  3. Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Oh yeah, I got a Clieg in a booster pack over x-mas. Yeah, that's a good one, and im not quite sure why he was saddled with the force drain thing.

I mean i know why because of how the ability might tie into the story (like the Tantive IV unit) but what did Clieg do that was so bad? Why is he a harbinger of doom? He married and freed Shimi, and his kids would later take care of Luke during their formative years. Yeah, yeah, so it dosent turn out all that good in the end, but cmon.

I keep waiting to play somebody who has like four of this card in their deck. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants.
  4. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    IMO, the lower BP units catered to early swarm decks. Get out a lot of units that would last a long time against an opponent's fewer, larger BP units. This worked early on, but later releases brought about significant changes to this strategy.

Cliegg Lars (A)has always been an oddity since he first came out.

Tyranus's Geonosian Speeder (A)is only there for you to deploy to draw a particular battle card that you're hinging some strategy on. ANH allowed a unique strategy to be built around this unit.

Can't remember where I saw it posted, but later releases make previously unused cards more viable. BoY's Death Star makes Twilight of the Republic a usuable card now. I've discovered that the combination of DS Ion Cannon units in Ground and the Death Star/TIE strategy in Space can be thwarted by the LS simply retreating their Space units until the Death Star arrives, or comes out of retreat. Making the LS decide whether or not to retreat first is to the DS' advantage.

Admiral Motti (A) is another seemingly worthless card, as he MUST be atttacked by ALL Jedi Characters, including your own.

R5-D4 (A) has a rather piddly Overload ability of +1 power for 2 damage to itself. It's only marginally saving grace is that you can pull an Astromech Droid from your deck when R5-D4 is discarded.

Rebel Marine Squad gets -1 attack dice (the antithesis of Accuracy). 6 BP for a 30/7/6 unit is excellent, but that -1 lowers your hit % from 50% to 33%.

Benefits of Training gives all your Soldiers in the Ground arena Accuracy 1 for 4 Force. For the LS there is 1 Ground Soldier unit in ANH & BoY combined, 10 total for all sets. For the DS there is 1 Ground Soldier unit in ANH & BoY combined, 5 total for all sets.

Tapping Chariot Light Assault Vehicle gives another Ground unit Accuracy 1, when that unit attacks. However, CLAV has 40 speed, and will be one of the first units to attack.

X-wing Squadron is a rare BoY 6 BP unit with 50/6/5. It has a high Intercept cost (3) and 2 Force to Retaliate 2. While it has a lot of options, I think it pales in comparison to X-wing Attack Squadron... a common ANH card for 5 BP 50/5/5 Critical Hit 3.
  5. SithDooku Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Mouse Droid stinks
    Three build points for....

0 power
    1 health
    20 speed ?

6. Ketricel Jedi Youngling

Yo, dont even go dissing the Geonosian Speeder. That thing can wreck some havoc. Get it out with a Jawa Sandcrawler or 2 and you can basically control every single card that is in your hand. It works wonders in a Lockdown deck, and it also can draw the heat away from your other units once you are out of Peace's. I really like this card and in my current DS deck it works magic.
  7. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I find a lot of neutral space/ground are pretty weak and very slow. You pay the same amount for something with the same power and health but extremely slow. Like others have said they are good for sacrafice and thats about it.

Ohh I never liked the Clone Squad...I just like faster cards anything with a speed of 10 better have huge benefits (ie Death Star) otherwise it won't make the deck. Another one is Wuher from ANH - weak slow and make droids more expensive - if you are countering a droid deck this card would get killed before it really mattered.
  8. L-R-J-V Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'll name the ones I particularly dislike in each category.

Character - Cliegg Lars(he's a given, no reason to ever use him)

Ground - Coruscant Speeder(same build as a Swoop Bike for 20 less speed)

Space - Hyperdrive Ring(ugh)

Battle - Hard one..hmmm. How about War Will Follow and any other cards like it.

Mission - Twilight Of The Republic(has its uses but I still hate it, lol)
  9. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This card confuses me:
    A New Hope: Battle - Slipping Through:
    Pay 8 Force -> Choose an arena. Prevent all damage that would be done by units in the arena until end of turn.

I must be miss understanding this card otherwise its just really really wierd. How is this card different from such cards as Lull In The Fighting for Peace On Naboo - the only difference being that you pay 8 force for choosing the arena instead of paying nothing for the specific arena.
  10. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    and the fact that it doesnt say play only before any unit has attacked You can play after the high speed units have attacked to prevent slow units like the death star from attacking!
  11. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ooooooooh! Now that card makes sense! I knew something about this card was alluding me.
  12. Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling

star 1
    It's intresting that someone brings up Twilight of the Republic. I just got one of those in a booster pack the other day. I had heard the name of the card before, and the picture looked cool so i just assumed it was a wicked card. I read what it did, but i havent used it during a game just yet so Im not sure of it's usefullness.

What's so crummy about it? Should I even bother with using it?

Oh yeah, The Hyperdrive Rings? They are stupid, and I know that everyone hates them, but for some reason I keep using them, almost as if sooner or later they will prove usefull. One of my constant opponents seems rattled and confused everytime i unleash a horde of them.
  13. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have 2 twilight of the republics and don't use either of them and would love to trade one of them... I guess I don't particularly care about who goes first for build. Sometimes it would be nice but the chance that I would draw that card when I need it and then decide that it is worth paying 2 build points for....I don't know if its worth it to me. But I'm sure that this card could be effective if you have a good strategy. Also I can pretty much tell if someone will retreat or not so that part of the card dosen't matter to much.

This might fit into the bizarre even though its not a bad card. Whats up with the BoY Lukes Speeder having the same exact image as the rare Lukes Speeder from ANH?
  14. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Oh yeah, The Hyperdrive Rings? They are stupid, and I know that everyone hates them, but for some reason I keep using them, almost as if sooner or later they will prove usefull. One of my constant opponents seems rattled and confused everytime i unleash a horde of them.

Why use em, jedi starfighters are better, for the same build you get an extra 20 speed!! and thats taking that theres another starfighter in the space arena to boost its power!!
  15. Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hey, you're preaching to the choir on the starfighter rings. But something in me just cant give them up! You know how it is, everyone has that one unit that they know is worthless, but just aren't willing to give up.
  16. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Not me i have no worthless cards!!! Except poggle the lesser, but hes da man!
  17. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    Twilight of the Republic works great if you have Death Star (A) or (C) and Ion Cannons in battle.

When the retreat step starts, rather than the DS having to decide whether or not to keep the Death Star in battle, now the LS must decide whether or not to keep their Space vehicles in battle. Based on the LS's decision to retreat, the DS may now decide whether or not to retreat the Death Star.

If the LS doesn't retreat their Space units, the DS may retreat the Death Star and any other Space units. This leaves the LS Space units open for the Ion Cannons and any Space units the DS leaves in play.

If the LS retreats their Space units, the DS may use either of the Death Star's abilities to relatively good use, and may retreat their Ion Cannons in Ground to avoid damage.

Of course, this is all provided you're doing okay in Character, and you can afford BP-wise and game-wise to retreat your Ion Cannons.
  18. Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I never was a big fan of those space units that have a high power until they get a damage counter on them. It just seemed like too big a gamble.

Although I've come around on these, I've discoved that they work better in groups, but isin't that the way with most starfighters?
  19. Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan

star 4
    i dont use em, they arent good enough for the build, so not worth it
  20. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    Those units kinda make you think twice when given a brand spankin' new card like Refit on Yavin... although those units still kinda suck...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.