main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN TCG Reactions?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth_TKD, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    So, what did everyone think of the TCG? Did we get anyone hooked on the game? Is anyone interested in playing regularly as a club, like after the meetings? If there's a strong interest, I'm sure we could get something going.

2. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    It was interesting to be sure.

I'd be willing to give it another shot at the next level.

3. Lord_Skywalker

Lord_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Deffinately interested went on a card binge bought a bunch of sith rising and aotc expansions plus a new hope deck and expansions built a couple decks need to reorder them has read the rule book alot.....and darn college is interfering with my obssesion

4. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I think it is something we can make a regular thing. I think the interest is there. I think the best time, initially anyway, is after the General meetings. Other times, too, if we just contact each other or whatever.

Sounds fun! :D

5. TC517

TC517 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    I would be willing to get into the TCG if we would play it regularly. I guess I should go and get a starter deck.

Any advice for a newbie?

6. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Come to the Dark Side! [face_devil]

:p

7. Darth_TKD

Jan 6, 2002
    Let's see advice for a newbie... Well, if you ever get a card called "Krayt Dragon," immediately give it to me because it's worthless. I'll gladly dispose of it for you. :)

But seriously, I'd start out by buying the two-player introductory game. They're all AoTC cards, but you get the play mat (which you can't get elsewhere), six dice, and well-balanced 30-card light and dark side decks. This set is really cheap now as it is old. It's a great way to start, and Wizards has not released anything like it from any of the other two expansions. After that, I'd buy equal parts "A New Hope" and "Sith Rising" boosters. "A New Hope" is the latest expansion with a lot of the best space and ground units and battle and mission cards, but the characters from it suck. The best characters so far, including Mace Windu A, Yoda C, Darth Tyranus D, and Darth Maul A, come from "Sith Rising." In "A New Hope," Luke is terrible and Vader isn't as good as the above-mentioned cards.

When building your deck, don't ignore build cost. Mace Windu is great, in fact many times he guarantees you the character arena, but he's also very expensive, as are all of the best cards. You'll also want some small, cheap units in your deck. I'd also caution against going too far in the other direction, i.e. you don't want too many small units, as they die quickly. I would use a lot of medium-priced units (4-6 build points), several expensive units (7+), and a few cheap units (2-3) in each arena. Don't ignore speed, either, because slow, powerful units can be great, but they can also die before they even get the chance to attack. In my decks, I have a few more character units than either ground or space units; I'm not sure why, I've just had better luck that way. Finally, try to keep your deck size as close to 60 cards as possible?I wouldn't go over 75 cards.

My final advice is the most important: Don't drink hydrochloric acid. Doing so will kill you, and seriously impede your ability to play the TCG.

8. TC517

May 14, 2001
    I went out and started my addiction last night. I bought the starter box, both light and dark AOTC starter decks (they were half price), and a few sith and new hope expansions. Comic Quest didn't have any of the intro packs and just a few expansions so I went to Book Broker where it was cheaper.

Oh, I didn't get the Krayt Dragon.

I would love to play as soon as possible.

9. TC517

May 14, 2001
    I picked up a few boosters after the speech meet, and I guess I got some good cards. I got a Foil "destroy Alderran" which was cool.

I got a few pilots too. How do they work?

10. Darth_TKD

Jan 6, 2002
    Pilots are deployed initially into the character arena, just like normal characters. They can be left there, and if they are, they function as normal characters. However, during your build step, you can move them into the specific type of vehicle listed on the card. It has to be the type of vehicle listed (example: a starfighter pilot can't fly a capital ship). While the pilot is in that vehicle, he gives to it the bonuses listed on the card. The down side is that, if the vehicle is discarded, so is it's pilot. Pilots can be moved back and forth between the character arena and any vehicle they can pilot, but only during your build step.

11. TC517

May 14, 2001
    The gaming master shows a padawan the ways of the TCG. :)

12. Lord_Skywalker

Jun 12, 2002
    Interesting this is I bought some ANH boosters and got a foil Aurra Sing from Sith rising in one of the packs........hehehe

13. Darth_TKD

Jan 6, 2002
    Is this card in Spanish? If it is, it's a common mistake with the ANH expansion. Call Wizards of the Coast, and they will send you a foil rare from ANH along with a free booster pack if you send them this card. Even if it's not in Spanish, it's still a mistake, and they'll probably make it worth your while to call them.

14. Lord_Skywalker

Jun 12, 2002
    It's in Spanish

Also at the big Hasbro Press Conference yesterday they showed shots of the new ESB TCG PAcks and The Jedi Guardians

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.