main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Bad Translations Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by EstarGuars, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    Here we are, after the offtopic in the Icons Forum. And the thread it´s for that. To express ours opinions of the translations of this series and how bad/good they´re.

For me they´re so bad. Not only that but the show gets here near a year after it´s released in the US. It´s just bad that I see one of my favourite shows by ways that make me feel embarrarased. I don´t like to "steal" this episodes, since I know that people works a lot for see them done. I don´t like to steal any Star Wars product, but internet it´s the only who brings me them, here they don´t exist. But back on topic...

The translations are just bad. I have to recap the episodes in spanish because I see them on english but one came to my mind...

Remember Lightsaber Lost when they went to the hotel. What do you think translators translate? Hospital. They went to an hospital. :oops:

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Deserter had best probs in finnish subtitles[face_laugh]

I already told the Grievous' creatures being "creations" according to subtitles[face_laugh]

Another one was interesting error in same ep- when clone warns about the incoming rocket and says "Port side" meaning left-hand side-finnish subtitles say "from the side of the gate"....

Good it's not dubbed subs are bad enough:p

I wonder how they managed to mess up Cad Bane's name in episode descriptions- it was right in subs but descriptions of episodes had "Bad Cane" [face_laugh]

3. EstarGuars

Mar 20, 2011
    In Hostage Crisis when Ahsoka was with the Council and...

AT: Guard duties? ...
    MW: Longer now

In spanish it was... "The time needed", in subtitles and audio.

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Hm, I couldn't tell you about bad translations in Dutch, because I've simply been following the original broadcasts all along. [face_whistling]

This does remind me of those Chinese RotS translations though... "DO NOT WANT!!!!" [face_laugh]

5. EstarGuars

Mar 20, 2011
    You´re not the only one following original broadcast :p. But I also whatch the episodes in spanish with my little sister, and give him introduction classes to the EU :p, seems like yesterday when I explained her who were Tholme and Quinlan Vos. :_|.

6. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Aw, how cute! :)

Would be interesting if Tholme made an appearance. Or K'kruhk!

7. EstarGuars

Mar 20, 2011
    Another translation that annoyed me was the Domino Squad. In Rookies they´re called with their english name, for except of Fives (Cincos in spanish). But then, when Clone Cadets was released they were all translated and it was horrible, you got Cincos, Pesado, Eco and Bufón. Pesado and Eco weren´t needed (Hevy and Echo), but if they would transalated Cutup in the original episode it would be better, my sister per example could´t undestand who Bufon was [face_shame_on_you].

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cincos? Pesado?

[face_laugh]

This thread has now made my day...

9. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Bufón? That's a clown or something, right?

Hm, Google Translate says 'Jester'...

That doesn't make sense at all! [face_laugh]

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    In Finnish subtitles nicknames aren't usually translated- in Rookies there were just Echo, Hevy, Fives and Cutup....

in Cadets, where names had bit more meaning they- for some odd reason- still didn't translate them all- Echo was still 'Echo' in Finnish- not 'Kaiku'- so those who don't know meaning of 'echo' don't get "Can you repeat that?!" sentence.....
    Hevy was just 'Hevy' damn that would have been extremely idiotical translated like 'heavy' : 'Raskas' or 'Painava'- sounds like an insult [face_laugh]
    like clone would be named Fat*ss:p

Fives was easy he was 'Vitoset' (just several number fives).... i dunno why it was translated it was not central in the plot and Fives works much better as name it doesn't even sound plural form when used as name.....

Cutup was 'Koiranleuka' literally "Dog's jaw" (term meaning someone who thinks he is funny by giving witty comments)- pretty much like 'cut up' used like that i think... also dog is one animal that exists in SW-universe so it kinda makes sense:p "die republic dogs"

Haha[face_laugh] 'Snips' must be even more irritating in Finnish 'Näsä'... 'Näsäviisas' means cheeky or snippy

that 'viisas' there means 'wise' or 'smart' but adding 'näsä' means cheeky....can you actually say cheeky-wise in english too?...

Anyway funny how there is cheek there, like you would have 'a lot of cheek' if you're cheeky.... in finnish you can say "Nenäkäs" meaning cheeky but literally i means well 'nosey'- 'have a lot of nose' but it has different meaning than nosey in english language which means too curious- yes? Of course in finnish you can also put your nose to other's businesses though and be nosey kind of- but then you're not 'nenäkäs' but 'kyylä' i have no idea where than word comes from[face_laugh]

damn hard these phrases- they are so cultural.....

it's better they won't try to translate those names if it's not central in plot....

11. EstarGuars

Mar 20, 2011
    [image=http://funversion.universia.es/enescena/foto/bufon.gif] :p

That scene was horrible, I nearly cried when I heard "Bufón", but "Pesado" was the worst :_|.

I will search for more of these...

12. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    I now live for the day when that name shows up in battle dialogue:

Rex: Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, move in! Shipshape, Fatass, Chromedome, cover their approach!

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    D'ya reckon they have a big list of nicknames for all the clones, and they cross off the ones taken?[face_thinking]So all the late batches get the crappy nicknames haha [face_laugh]

Back on topic, I'm kinda tempted now to see all these horrific translations for myself. Even though the last time I spoke a different language was 4 years ago.

14. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    LOL Yeah, I think bad translations are inherent to cartoons; Cartoon Network's anime translations come to mind. No, no, I don't want to watch cartoons that are 4kids. *ba-dum-psh*

15. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Boy, these Jelly filled donuts are great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Srh6pyyFs

16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Easily my favourite dub ****-up. At least in later episodes they edited in donuts or sandwiches over the rice balls.:oops:

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well this is bad translations in TCW-thread so bit off-topic:p but really what's so terrible about riceballs they need to be censored they're umm.. donuts... no not riceballs but donuts- jellyfilled donuts:p

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Finnish translation of Monster had few goofy lines (thank God in subtitles) Oppress was misspelled of course as well....
    funniest line- even though it was not wrong- just funny- was translation when Dooku says that old alliance of Sith and nightsisters could be restored- most usual finnish word for alliance 'liitto' is same as used when talking about marriage 'avioliitto' or just 'liitto'-
    in Dooku's line it was even in form with possessive suffix 'liittomme'='our alliance' it was totally unnecessary in that sentence to add that suffix, and because of that it sounded like Dooku would want to restore his marriage with Talzin[face_laugh] instead of old alliance of sith and nighsisters.....

19. EstarGuars

Mar 20, 2011
    Maybe they we´re trying to send you a message about Season 4: Marriages Restored, if in Witches of the Mist, Dooku mentions his master Darth Kowak all will make sense [face_skull]

20. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

And you know what if Dooku was married to Talzin, and then divorced her some years later? Well I can see this:

-Interview with Mother Talzin-

Galactic Access Hollywood: Ms. Talzin is it true that you were married to the Father?

Mother Talzin: Actually I was once married to Count Dooku.

Galactic Access Hollywood: Really?

Mother Talzin: Oh yes. Dooku was quite a handsome man, what with his rich baritone voice and that adorable beard of his. We were married secretly for many years. But then sometime during the Clone Wars he decided to run off with that General Grievous. I'd divorced him and Dooku had the nerve to tell me that Grievous was more flexible than I was.

Galactic Access Hollywood: o_O

And I live in America so I cannot comment on TCW in foreign languages. But this thread is certainly interesting so to speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.