main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW bonus material episode discussion (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Wasn't their already mention Rebels would be 3D? A different visual style is a little scary. Most animated shows seem to cost around a million these days. No sure about "Beware the Batman" however which does have a look like a modernized version of Reboot's animation. I've been imagining the animation will remain top notch as it goes but have a sort of weathered look like the concept art.

and I dearly hope that slim chance for a resolution to Maul pans out.

2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

How could I forget about Dooku? [face_dunno]

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Filoni made a comment about seeing McQuarrie's work rendered in that fashion, yes. Beyond this, though, I don't know if anything else has been said, as far as the question of 2D/3D is concerned.

Personally, I'd like to think the basic style of TCW will be retained, but updated, where appropriate, with considerations made for the new age the show is to be set in. A more radical change in style (such as the clip I posted) would certainly take some getting used to. We'll hopefully know a lot more come next month!

4. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    I keep hearing about how Rebels will be based on McQuarrie concepts, but isn't all Star Wars, including TCW, McQuarrie-ish? I'm hoping Rebels style is different enough to look new, but not so radical that there is no visual continuity from TCW to SWR. Also, it makes sense for them to retain some of their assets for re-use from TCW, such as non-human models, terrain, certain vehicles, etc.

5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I wonder if their way of lowering the budget but keeping the quality will involve giving the environments a more painted, impressionistic style. That's becoming a relatively common thing in gaming graphics, and it would fit with the idea of adapting McQuarrie stuff.

6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, but still better it would be if the Yoda arc is a better version of that. I mean it will be an exploration into Yoda's character and not Anakin. We need some Yoda stuff, Anakin was done way too much by Mortis's airing.
    Time will tell...

I hope they are not. They are done.

If anything, I would bet Disney would lower than low and use Maul if they make an Obi-Wan movie. Like in that What if story...

Yeah, Dooku did evolve visually... little, not too much so it would be distracting. It was not as drastic like the Ahsoka growth or Yularen growth so I dug it.
    But I will always love anything that came out in Season in terms of models. That is where it was a miracle when we got such awesome character models like the one of Gunray or Tambor, and the show was still not sure how to proceed with the process of making characters models faster. I think that TCW crew just could not re-do models fast enough back in the day so we were stuck with the rigid Dooku for a while.

PS: Speaking of models being made faster, it is a shame all the missed opportunities for cameos since they could make models quite fast by the time of Season Four. Think of all the stupid Mandalore models that got made in Season Three and think of how Oppo Rancisis or Tikkes are still not in the show by the end of Season Five.

It should not be radical so it could be its own thing, but also connect enough to TCW. Maybe...

7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's pretty much what they did in the first two seasons of TCW isn't it? The majority of things not in the immediate foreground were matte paintings. (Or at least appeared to be.)

8. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Did you notice the change at a certain point? I never noticed a concrete change, unlike the big three. Until mid S3, Dooku had two major appearances: the film and his capture by Hondo. I can't imagine the crew would use the old Dooku model during the Nightsisters trilogy.

9. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

They were painted, but not super impressionistic. I do remember some beautiful stuff like that from the Blue Shadow Virus arc, but I'm thinking something pretty different, more textural, with that McQuarrie signature "canvas cross-hatching" effect.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, certainly, by it's very nature, the look of SW is, to a large extent, thanks to McQuarrie's realization of Lucas' vision, and yes, Ralph's work has been made use of many times over, throughout the history of the franchise (and SW has been the better for it, too).

What people are referencing is the Filoni video where Dave alludes to making use of some specific, unused McQuarrie designs from back in the day, which, if all goes to plan, will serve as the foundation of the look of Rebels. Maybe "foundation" is too strong of a word. For all we know, just a design, here or there, will crop up. The truth of the matter is, we don't know anything, so far, other than what was mentioned by Filoni.

As I said, we've been promised more next month, and those fortunate enough to attend CEII personally, will be able to witness these events, first-hand.

Somebody get me Mark Hamill's autograph, please! :D

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Whatever Rebels looks like there needs to be a transition from ROTS to ANH.

12. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    This is usually around the time we've gotten at least a teaser trailer for the next season and were deciphering every single second and frame of it. Now were just waiting around for a release date or any news at all about the "bonus" episodes.

Man I'm really going to miss this show. Two more final seasons would of been perfect.

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

True words. And Dooku did appear for most of the time in hologram form. He appeared too much, but the point is that he was usually in hologram form - that kinda allowed for TCW to get away with any model problems with him. Heck, the TCW crew got away with other problems by using Hologram form of somebody.
    Dooku appeared mainly in hologram form from S1 to S3 with the Mando saga of S2 being the only flesh appearance of him in a while. But even when he scolded Pre Vizsla, he was mainly in the shadows of a bridge. The rest of that arc had him in hologram again.
    So the hologram appearances are the main reason he did not get a new, but subtle upgrade. Until he had to be shown on screen for the majority of an arc and he had to look nice, detailed in all sorts of locals - from Dathomir to Serenno. The old model would have been a problem and looked even odder.
    In the end, the way Dooku was handled during the entire run of the show. I mean the visual part since he was overused and took too much screen time that deserved to be given to Grievous and Grievous should have been the General that commands other Generals. Dooku even had his beard move and flex in the final appearance he had in S5 and that was when he got back at Hondo.

I doubt Dooku will have some major change for the final arc he is in.

Two more seasons of 22 episodes would have been a blessing....

Wasn't there a giant REBELS thread for discussions like this?! Weren't we supposed to talk Bonus Content here...

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    You got me there, Dan (I still need Mark's autograph, though)! :)

15. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    Me too. It ended before it's time... But at least we got some sort of resolution to Ahsoka. Even if the Maul thread is never picked up, we can just assume Sidious kills him. At least we are still getting something... It's the little bit of light we have. At least production on the show isn't finished yet. :)

Talking of Hondo, his character model in the Onderon arc just looks so out of place! It really jarred with me there.

16. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    The thing is that eventually like in the Onderon arc, TCW started doing more and more realistic models with less things like Kenobi's beard or Dooku's face. Even if Onderon as a whole is filled with characters that are really stylized like Dendup and Saw.

17. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I wish they had done away with Dooku's stupid rectangular face long ago. I don't see how there's any room for a brain in that tiny forehead of his.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Could you be onto something there? :p

The Shadow Emperor and eht13 like this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Yis.

Would have liked more Mace too, but like that's going to happen.

20. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Maybe that's why he was so surprised Sidious wanted Anakin to kill him in ROTS? :p He didn't think his Master would ever betray him :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I want to see a episode where Dooku cuts his beard short :p

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Sad, but true. The show could have been very diverse and interesting even more if we had deeper episodes about other main Jedi like Mace. If somebody says that Mace is too obscure for his own arc then that somebody is truly lost.

We did see him in his pijamas so why not a little shaving too. 3 years is a long time not to maintain your beard.

PS: TCW has really managed to show some aspects of life not seen before in the movies like villains sleeping or drinking things.

23. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    ...for charity...

24. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

[face_laugh][face_rofl]

25. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Speaking of Jedi, I just love that Dave saved Eeth Koth from dying at Grievous' hands because he thought he'd be interesting to use later on down the line. Three seasons later...and Koth's done absolutely nothing ever since. :rolleyes: