main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW creating inconsistencies with the Films

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 31, 2011.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    In Episode 3 when Obi-wan encounters General Grievous, which turns out into that lightsaber duel, Grievous says to him, "You fool, i have been trained in your arts by Count Dooku", he then proceeds to pull out a bunch of lightsabers. Now while watching this scene, it seems to imply that this is the first time that Obi-wan has encountered a lightsaber wielding Grievous. After all, that quote from Grievous above can also be stated as "O look Obi-wan i know how to use a lightsaber, let me show you".

Now why would Grievous mention that to Obi-wan if TCW has shown, that they have been in several lightsaber duels before? Grievous should already know Obi-wan knows about his lightsabers, there is no point in calling him a fool and telling him that he can use lightsabers to.

Another inconsistency that TCW has created is the encounters between Dooku and Anakin in TCW, and how its related to their encounter in Episode 3.

Now at the time when Episode 3 was released, the previous time we saw Anakin encounter Dooku was in Episode 2.

So when Anakin and Obi-wan first see Dooku in Episode 3, they mention that they will take him together (referring to how they didn't do that in episode 2).

Obi-wan then says "You wont get away this time Dooku". This is obviously referring to how Dooku escaped from their duel in the last episode.

Anakin then says "My powers have doubled since the last time we met Count". Which makes sense, because Anakin seems alot more experienced in this duel then he did with Dooku in episode 2. Makes sense because 3 years have passed.

Dooku responds to that by saying "Good twice the pride, double the fall". He is referring to how Anakin was to pridefull when he attacked him alone in episode 2 which led to his fall.

When Anakin chops of Dooku's head, Palpatine mentions that Dooku chopped of Anakin's hand, and it was only natural that Anakin wanted revenge.

All what i stated above in dealing with this duel, heavily implies that this was the 2nd time Anakin encountered Dooku and fought him with a lightsaber. Even after watching TCW, and going back and watching Episode 3, i still get that vibe.

Now with TCW, Anakin has encountered Dooku before, and....

SPOILERS

Will be encountering him again in a lightsaber duel according to a season 4 trailer.

Now i know the real reason for these "inconsistencies" (if you can call them that), is that Episode 2 and 3 were made before TCW. However i do think something better could have been used in TCW to make that show make more sense with the films.

What do you think? Are the 2 examples i listed inconsistencies? Or is my interpretation wrong?

2. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Perhaps TCW should never have had Obi and Anakin ever meet up and do battle with Grievous and Dooku. And Anakin and Obi would only fight Ventress and other such Dark Jedi, etc.
    Or...perhaps GL should not have made RotS seem like it happened immediately after AotC.
    Or...perhaps Anakin's power will have only doubled since the last time Dooku and Anakin meet (the last time of which we have not yet seen.).
    Or...perhaps Grievous is only referring to his training by Count Dooku rather than his ability to wave a lightsaber around as Obi has obviously already seen multiple times before.

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Old news. This has already been debated countless times.

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Way to be welcoming guys.

Sad fact is, George has basically snared total creative control over the show, and I'm beginning to feel like he is just using TCW to indulge in his excess.

5. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    None of those are inconsistencies.

An inconsistency would be Anakin meeting Grievous in person. Anakin fighting Dooku, and Kenobi fighting Grievous aren't inconsistencies since there is nothing in the films that suggest it didn't happen.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, I think it's heavily implied on Utapau this is the first time they've dueled with sabers, and you can argue on Grievous' ship it's the first time they've met in person.

But I think for the purposes of the show, they felt they needed to be able to have Obi-Wan vs. Grievous on multiple occasions and Anakin vs. Dooku on multiple occasions to have the main characters involved in battles.....even though we know nothing will happen. ;)

7. sam_

sam_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2011
    Well, as a matter of fact those sentences in the movies by the characters make senses because we dont need TCW at all to well understand the Prequels.

The things you suggest with TCW and the movies I'll not call them inconsistencies because it's not clear without a doubt that the characters cannot have encounter each others previously. It is not impossible that those sentences can have another meaning, then. It can become some kind of grey area for the fans if you want it.

@GARTH_MAUL Personally, in the Grievous ship it is obvious that Grievous and Anakin have never met each other but nothing said without a doubt that Obi-Wan never met Grievous.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    There is no inconsistency with Anakin and Dooku because there is no clear mention about their "last duel" Obi-Wan-Grievous inconsistency is a small one as well- Grievous just tells about his trainer- even though it makes no sense it is still not impossible IU- it is not a bigger inconsistency than those minor internal inconsistencies within films....

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Still, implied is not stated. When an implication is contradicted, it just means that things were not what they seemed, it isn't a continuity issue.

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Knowing George Lucas- Grievous's lines may be redubbed in Blu-Ray:p ..... Seriously that's possible- It's really hard to defend that man anymore- like he would like to be hated by all fans.... these "almost inconsistencies" are small things really....

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    It really just depends on how strictly one chooses to define "inconsistency." The two examples that were brought up require assumptions to be made from the dialogue in order for there to be a contradiction, so in the strictest sense of the word I don't think it's inconsistent. Clearly we made certain assumptions from those Ep. III lines the first time we heard them that have since had to change due to TCW, but as MercenaryAce competently explains, that doesn't necessarily constitute an inconsistency:

I, for one, really hope that Anakin and Dooku meet for the last time in TCW at least one season prior to the final season so that bit of Ep III dialogue still makes some sense, and I similarly hope that we see Grievous training with Darth Tyranus at some point towards the end of the series to create a clear divide between pre- and post- Tyranus-trained Grievous. Even though these aren't technically contradictions or inconsistencies, they could still stand to look less sloppy.

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought Grievous already was doing some training with Dooku. In 'ARC Troopers' didn't Ventress say something to the effect of; -- "Count Dooku may have taught you how to swing a lightsaber General but that hardly makes you my equal." -- Seeing Dooku Training Grievous to a little more perfection would definitely help along. A fact he has not yet but will reveal to Obi-wan in RotS. Then the line in RotS still sounds like Grievous is revealing a fresh secret.

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that in ARC Troopers. :oops: Still, you're right that unless they really ruin it it will be preserved that it was still news to Obi-Wan.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Off topic but after recalling that line I'm looking more forward to her duel with Grievous now. Lol, I know he's probably not going to win but I'm going to be rooting for him. Sock it to that biatch General.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I really like the character of Asajj Ventress and I've always been rather ambivalent about General Grievous, so I'll be on the other side of that one. [face_skull]

16. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Never liked Grievous, not in ROTS, not in CW, and certainly not in TCW. Go Ventress!

17. sam_

sam_ Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2011
    I think Grievous is not really a charismatic character but the fact is, from the story view, he is useful to lead the droids army and for the Separatist. Even if he often fail in TCW, he lead his troops to the combat and sometimes give a hard time to the Jedi.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    He's right, they should have never pitted Obi-Wan against Grievous. There are a ton of other Jedi that they could have matched up, instead. We didn't need to see Obi-Wan fight Grievous, and Lucas needs to stop thinking we need these type of duels to soothe the curiosities of some of us.

19. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    IMO, the biggest inconsistency caused by Grievous' portrayal in TCW has nothing to do with lightsabre combat with Obi-Wan. It has to do with his track record as Supreme Commander of the Confederate military.

He fails, far too often. I get the sense that the show's writers (or perhaps George Lucas himself) want to give the protagonists a dastardly villain to overcome, and they naturally default to Grievous.

As a result, he hasn't had a single decisive long-term military victory in TCW thus far. He fails to keep the Malevolence operational. He fails to eliminate a Jedi General in his captivity. He fails - twice - to invade Kamino. Grievous Intrigue was his strongest showing as he proves to actually be a reasonably competent commander of starships in battle.

A remotely ambitious tactical droid could probably usurp Grievous' position. Riff Tamson is probably going to be more successful than Grievous. How does this incompetent officer become the de facto leader of the CIS after Dooku's death? For that matter, why is he so feared by the Republic by the time of ROTS if a lone comet he failed to take into account could send his battle plans into disarray?

Come on. This is stuff related to the actual balance of power in the war, leading directly into ROTS. This isn't something they should be playing games with, and if they want to give the heroes a moustache-twirling idiot to defeat, they should bloody well create a brand new character - a tactical droid, a human, a Neimoidian, a jellyfish-woman - anyone but Grievous.

The next time Grievous appears, he should finish the episode arc victorious, with the lightsabre of a freshly-killed Jedi in his collection and the shattered remains of Republic star destroyers burning up in the atmosphere of a devastated formerly Republic-controlled planet... [/rant]

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This unfortunately is where the worst of kids show DNA is really in our faces in TCW. Grievous is a scary villain with cool weapons who can sorta match the Jedi when the script calls for it, but mainly he's neutered into an incompetent minion or worse a comic relief role exactly reminiscent of Goldar in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers right down to leading the puddies and getting beaten much more easily than the monster of the day normally does. Really TCW goes with a similar circular formula with 100% predictable results even over a 5 episode arc and the meat of the story is in the details of how the Jedi/Rangers arrive at the solution for how to defeat their enemy. This is not terribly obvious because TCW writing is no where near that bad and the characters are not what I'd call flat which adds depth most kids shows don't have. I agree this is something they should get away from and one positive of season 3 is it broke this formula. This would be fine for a stand alone show but is not so great for a show that has to eventually mesh with a much more mature film. As endearing as I find the campiness of it, I agree this formula is the main source of contradiction with ROTS and the old Clone Wars series rather than Obi-wan and Grievous crossing blades before ROTS.

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Grievous = Cobra Commander from the RAH cartoon.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, the way I see it the entire CIS chain of command is portrayed exactly like Lord Zedd's forces on the moon in Power Rangers.

Sidious = Lord Zedd
    Dooku = Rita Repulsa
    Grievous = Goldar
    Ventress (before nightsisters) = Scorpina
    Tactical Droid/Riff Tamson/Other one shot CIS leader = Monster of the day
    Battledroids = Putty Patrollers.

The whole thing goes in a circle, monster of the day is defeated. Goldar runs away after having his ass handed to him by the Megazord in a three minute battle where the first two were spent putting summoning it.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I have a question probably best answered by those familiar with the films' novelizations. To me, the prequels seem to put emphasis on the unique relationship between Padawan and Master. I always thought it was kind of strange that TCW likes to have what I tend to refer to as "Bizarre Ahsoka Team-Up Episodes," but I'm not sure if Ahsoka having random one-off adventures with people other than Anakin is a full-on contradiction with the films, or something less concrete than that. So, what say you, LACWAC loyalists? Is there anything in the films that make "Bizarre Ahsoka Team-Up Episodes" inconsistent with them?

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's what confuses me too. They made it seem that it was against their code to have more than one apprentice at a time, and so I assumed it meant that the apprentice was also bound by these rules and had to stay with his or her master until his or her advanced training was complete.

Let me get this straight. Yoda, and I'm sure there other members of the Jedi Council, train all Padawans in basic training, which is the mental aspects of the Force. After they have learned the first stages of the Force, they are given over to another Jedi Master so they can be trained in the physical aspects of the Force as well as diplomacy.