main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TCW episodes with battles suck!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Calgmoth, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    I understand that, and I don't expect every writer to know the Art of War or the Thirty Six Strategems by heart. But really, it takes very little effort to understanding that modern weaponry and formation battles don't go well together. In fact, it's more like a quick trip to wikipedia and you'll find at least the basics.

I agree the tactics in the film aren't logical: example, Geonosis, 200,000 clones charging a fortified position guarded by many more batle droids is a bad idea. But TCW shouldn't be limited by the flaws of the PT.

As for Jedi Generals fighting on the frontlines...they are superhuman magic knights capable of cutting through lines and lines of enemy soldiers, all the while barely running the risk of being shot due not only to plot armor, but well...you know, because they're psychics. :D

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Have you ever read history of Soviet union's military tactics? There we have completely idiotical real-life generals using strategies like (it's just fortified position let's run straight towards it- there is so many of us that someone will get through) so portraying stupid decisions of generals leading to the massacre is realistic enough- of course it's more great to see military strategist in work- i would imagine that someone of TCW writers would know their military history- LAPR really portrayed quite a realistic battle considering it was star wars after all.... I would like to see someone in TCW like Erwin Rommel- Thrawn was inspired by him- too bad Trench probably died but there was potential character for them to use- jedi seem to use clones like bad chessplayer uses his pawns (or should i say Dejarik player?:p ) well i lost one but i still have 7 and so on.... I would like to see Kota in TCW- his soldiers are not clones so i would imagine he would use them better to spare lives....

Warfare in Star Wars is inspired by ancient era so that's why there is formations, armors and shields (even though different ones) so it not realistic- it don't have to be- sometimes more realistic style works though....

3. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I beg to differ, I thought that the Malevolence, Ryloth and Geonosis archs were some of the best episodes of the series. I mean the are usually referred to as the high points.

4. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    With the battles it's worth remembering that Star Wars battles aren't based off modern warfare, they're based on WWII movies (not even W£WII actual battles). Military tactics were starting to break ut of the nightmare of the Great Wars suicidal approaches, but they weren't as sophisticated as you have today.

I enjoy a mix of political, personal and battle episodes. Though I do agree it would be nice to see some more CIS victories.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    There is:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodTactics

6. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010
    Blitzkrieg was all about avoiding full frontal infantry engagements, opting for an integrated assault of infantry, armor, and aircraft to cut off enemy armies, encircle them, and quickly capture important points. A general that won battles in WWII wouldn't have thrown soldiers needlessly into a meatgrinder without attempting at least to flank the enemy.

7. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010

8. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999

9. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    I agree. I rewatch these kinds of episodes more than episodes like Lightsaber Lost, Senate Spy or The Academy as they are more enjoyable.

10. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010

11. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    Where did you see roman style formation battles?

12. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010
    A lot of the Christophsis episodes had columns of droids marching in close files, for one. I have to rewatch the episodes, but that's one that has come to mind. It's not as blatant in more recent episodes. Maybe the animators are trying to avoid Hollywood Tactics. :D

13. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010

14. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Just a bit of in-universe info regarding Christophsis: In Hidden Enemy, Slick wound up destroying most of their heavy weapons and artillery except for the long range cannons, which they DID use. They were likely lacking for choice in that situation.

I know there's a place for closely examining logic, but my view on Star Wars has always been on fun, adventure and entertainment. Or, in other words, it's just a show. I should relax. It's Star Wars, but (or, should I say, so) I should relax. :p

15. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010
    Koonfan, nice to see someone frequents TVtropes around here. You're okay in my book. [face_peace] But I'm too much of the nitpicker. It comes naturally to me, like breathing. Asking me not to pick apart everything possible about this show is like asking water not to be wet.

With that said, it's obvious the writers forgot that hyperspace travel effectively makes the logistics of transporting heavy weapons form an offworld depot much less of a hassle than it would be in any real life setting. Even if their original stuff was destroyed, they couldn't ship in more? Are they really that over-extended that they're battling far outside any supply lines? That brings up other questions. If they can't ship in heavy weapons due to the isolation, how do they maintain a siege? The food, water, medicine, and ammunition necessary to hold the line has to come from somewhere. What about their fleet? Assuming A Hidden Enemy takes place after Admiral Trench bites it, shouldn't the Republic have the space and sky around the planet? Why don't they jut bomb the Separatist positions from above? And if that is ruled out for fear of collateral damage, why not start airdropping troops around the Separatist base and encircle them, rather than fight them in a bloody, needlessly drawn out face to face engagement? I find it hard to believe Obi-Wan - a true to form "father to his men" - never once tried any of this before having his clones zerg rush the enemy lines like drones.

16. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Nice to know I'm okay in your books. I may disagree with how you look at things, but I respect your opinions and fully understand how some things come naturally to people (like me and optimism :p). [face_peace]
    Certainly, I would love to see more logic and less chances to infuriate the fans. More happy viewers is just good business! [face_laugh]

As to Christophsis, well, since I do like trying to figure things out, perhaps:
    -Hyperspace travel, at this point in time and given the position of Christophsis, was difficult. My guess is this: Christophsis is in the outer rim. Even using the shortest number of hyperspace routes necessary, it would take a heavy toll on the supply ships and carriers involved. Christophsis is in the Outer Rim, which is still very much contested, so there might not be many resupply bases around. Therefore, any relief efforts and reinforcements would have to make extra certain that they didn't overexert themselves or expose themselves to territory that might still be unclaimed. I'm not sure how big a toll hyperspace travel is on a hyperdrive, but I imagine that it's not exactly cheap either.
    If we're likening them to supply lines, it's sort of like your army is deep in enemy territory, and there are only a handful of routes (maybe less) that can support a convoy/shipment. They've got nothing on the planet, and there are only a few 'roads' the ships could take. That is, unless they want to go through the hassle of negotiating with the Hutts and planetary systems for more military outposts, and we all know how NEGOTIATION turns out on this show. [face_laugh]
    Oh, and given that Christophsis is BEFORE the treaty with Jabba that allowed them greater access into the outer rim, their supply route options were possibly narrower, too. XD

-Following the movie, there was still a Separatist blockade which prevented Admiral Yularen's fleet from bombarding the planet or landing reinforcements close enough to make a difference. Perhaps they were the remnants of Trench's fleet or reinforcements were shipped in. Again, at this point, the Outer Rim was still 'Separatist turf' and the Republic would still have to negotiate their way into the fight.

-There might have been enough relief supplies to support a siege (though at this point they were stretched thin) because of the relief supplies sent to Bail Organa. Even then, Obi-Wan 'negotiates' a surrender with General Loathsom and asks that adequate supplies be prepared for his men.

-Perhaps the time taken to transport troops landed at safer areas of the planet was too great, and by the time reinforcements arrived within the planet, their position would be overrun. If they wanted their troops to be useful as quickly as possible, they'd have to take a route that was closest to their position, while having to watch out for the blockade's field of fire. Get out of the field of fire, you run the risk of being too late. Take the shortest route possible, you risk getting gunned down by the blockade's turrets and starfighters.

-I was also under the impression that they were not quite 'zerg rushing', but instead, were 'zerg rushed'. To me, General Loathsom's droid forces were the ones launching an attack on the Republic position, and they were holding out for their reinforcements and supplies.

-Basically, my views would be summed up by this simple fact: They couldn't travel through the outer rim so easily back then. :p

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    First of all - When did battle droids were used in WW2?- i must say i missed that part of war history [face_laugh]- using droids in formations is actually quite effective- because casualties can be enormous and who cares about the losses?- droid army is 1000 times bigger and factories make thousands of droids all the time.... Actually charge may be only effective way to use b1 battledroids- if seppies would have tactical geniouses as commanders (which they apparently lack) they could use a blitzkrieg tactic- concentrating artillery and aerial bombardment to the one area of enemy lines and then breaking through with droidcharge aided with several tankunits....would be cool to see seps winning that way.... still i find hollywood style formations very enjoyable to watch (i think battle of Malastare was exact example of roman style droid army) so i don't care- too much realism in SW simply sucks....

But as said before i have read about real life commanders in WW2 (soviets) using similar tactics with real soldiers(naturally)- they didn't use roman formations- but they charged towards enemy positions- only being slaughtered by machine gun fire... and i'm not talking about their battle against Germans in eastern front- but about soviet attack to Finland- the Winter War- casualties of soviets were so huge they lied about them- but they used following logic "There is nearly thousand times more of us- so if our soldiers charge at the same time- someone will eventually get through" Seppies seem to use similar logic.... i am not saying that all soviet generals would be idiots- no way- there were good generals but they received stupid orders during that war.... just as a reference about real-life warfare during ww2- i am not expert in history or anything but I'm sure that story is at least -near the truth...

18. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    I'm fine with battle droids using the very worst tactics. I can see the tactical droids thinking in very straight lines and just marching them towards the shields. At least the heroes and clone tend to try and set more ambushes, work around the flanks and use cover.

The other element to consider is that most real world battles are fought to rout or break the enemy - but neither the clones or droids are going to run in fear - so battle tactics would be quite different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.