main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TCW Grievous' character development, conspiracies, suspicions, and otherwise unfortunate comparisons

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Only-One Cannoli, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I've always been a big Grievous fan, at least back in the day. I mean during the whole ROTS thing and the 2d cartoon. He was always super cool. But I just sat down to watch all the CW and am about 3/4 through Season 2. And I think Grievs is quite a bit different from the previous Grievous that I thought I once knew. So here, let me just throw the evidence out to you -

[image=http://www.invaderzim.tv/images/pak_legs.jpg]

Zim has 4 mechanical arms/legs that he crawls around with like a spider. Up walls, down walls, etc. etc.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/img/kids/do/crafts/f20100106/1.jpg]
    In case you forgot that Grievous has 4 mechanical arms that he crawls around on like a spider, here's a pic to remind you.

The stupidity of Grievous' battledroids and his interactions with them. Compare it to Zim's interactions with his robot, Gir. I would link to a youtube video of their interactions here, but to be honest I hate that show with a passion and will not sit through 20 million fan vidoes of Gir dancing to latin music. So you must search for it on your own. But it's the same annoying crap.

The laughing. They both laugh maniacally followed by a cough or clearing of the throat. Obviously Zim's bronchitis is not as painfully obvious as Grievous', but he still does it quite fair bit.

The generic horrible statements and shouts of wiping out the enemy and destroying their existences and taking over the world. That one is a given.

Now I'm not going to straight out say that the people developing Grievous' character copied Vasquez. I'm just going to say, it's a little weird that the 4 major characteristics that define both of those characters happen to be...the same things. I mean, if you don't believe me - go rent some Zim episodes, and imagine Grievous in his place saying his lines. One just happens to be in the form of a badass robot, the other a horribly drawn cartoon.

And yes I think this will lead to uncovering great conspiracies in the underground mythical land of Filoni and his mates.

2. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Isn't there already a Grievous thread?

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I'm sorry, you lost me at the Invader Zim comparison.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Since this topic seems sufficiently removed from the previous conversations in the Official General Grievous [fanclub] Thread, I don't see why it can't stay... for now. It's also, ironically, more lighthearted than the other thread topics currently on the main page. Even though it's about... Invader... Zim...

So does Gir have any relation whatsoever to Gor? Or since he's a robot, The Good Doctor?

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    How about a thread where SLG goes through GGrievous's character development through TCW?

6. CadBane

CadBane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    I'd be down with that

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Invader who now?

8. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Can you define what this means using a pie chart.

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    [image=http://crujonessociety.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/claw_inspector_gadget.jpg]

Next time, Gadget... next time!

10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    General Grievous is a combo of the top-hatted, caped, moustachioed, villian: Snidely Whiplash from the The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show and Dr. Octopus from Spider-Man.

Interesting fact: actor Alfred Molina has played both characters.
    Additional interesting fact: Snidely Whiplash liked to tie up the "damsel in distress" to a railroad track. Grievous in the 2-D Clones Wars tied up Shaak Ti (not to a railroad track, but there was a high-speed railtrain going through Coruscant at the time).

11. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Yes and there's also a clear nod to the Barca brothers who had an uncanny gift for escaping after almost every defeat in the 2nd Punic War.

We've almost got the whole thing pieced together now.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  13. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Oh god it never gets old.

14. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    lmao, EPIC win

Well I tied my baby to the railroad track
    Cannonball down the line
    Givin' that woman just one more chance
    To give it to me one more time
    Engineer wishin' he was home in bed
    Dreamin' 'bout Casey Jones
    Wide eyed woman half a mile ahead
    Thinkin' 'bout broken bones

It's your love that I want
    It's your love that I need
    It's your love gotta have
    It's your love

Heavenly body flyin' 'cross the sky
    Superman was outta town
    Come on honey gotta change your tune
    Cause it's a long way down
    Clark Kent lookin' for a free ride
    Thinkin' about Lois Lane
    It's a bird, it's a plane, it's suicide
    And that'd be a shame

It's your love that I want
    It's your love that I need
    It's your love gotta have,
    It's your love

But what's next to the moon

Long arm lookin' for a finger print
    Tryin' to find a mystery clue
    Hittin' me with the third degree
    Working on the thumb screw
    All right officer I confess
    Everything's coming back
    I didn't mean to hurt that woman of mine
    It was a heart attack

(Young/Young/Scott)

15. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I would also like to open this thread up to discussion on the fact that I don't believe that Boba Fett is really a clone of Jango. I think his appearance is merely a hoax. Why else would Aurra Sing mother him so? Why else would Hondo ask if it was his child? We never saw the face of Boba Fett in the films when he was older. Perhaps his true Weequay traits revealed themselves in his face later on.

16. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    You mean those Wookiee braids on his armor are actually his own Weequay braids?:eek: :p

17. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I can't view that from either my phone or work PC (sad).

So instead I did some research on SLG's theory and watched some Invader Zim and while seeing no evidence of an influence on the good general, I did find it quite amusing (probably more so because I'm at work).

18. CadBane

CadBane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2009
    while I have yet to concoct a Grievous conspiracy theory or want to touch the potential Mrs Robinson nature of Aurra and Boba's relationship, I would like to see clone wars take on Grievous' history with a visit to his homeworld and flashbacks to his pre-droid days....

[image=http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6918/grievousg.jpg]

19. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Dream on. We're not getting any flashbacks, I'm afraid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.