main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit TCW in Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Apr 25, 2015.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Here is a silly thought.

TCW is now canon.

Legends is now not.

But Legends refers to TCW in several places. Does TCW exist in both universes? Do Jedi Twilight and FotJ thus exist in canon (obviously not but it's a funny thought), or does TCW exist in Legends as and when it is referenced?

Or will TCW forever be this horrendously blurry spot in Legends?

Sent from the World

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Exists in both universes, if The Official Fact File is any indication (with its accounts of a character's actions moving from multimedia project to TCW and back again, in many articles).

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Remember that... technically, the decanonization includes EU side story material that was created 'explicitly' for TCW.

The only canon TCW material as of now (again, by official stances, not by what could still make sense) is the TV show and all episodes + son of Dathomir. Every other comic or novel that came out in that era between 2008 and 2014 is now non-canon.

In short, yes, TCW was referenced in the EU. The EU was already making attempts to retcon it to fit better with older material. Plagueis and Apocalypse are 2 other examples of this.

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Ahsoka is everywhere!

YOU CANNOT ESCAPE HER!

MercenaryAce and CaptainPeabody like this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    For my part, TCW just reinforces why I don't really care what is "official" and just pick-and-choose what works best in my head.

But then, I'm a TOTJ fan, so have been having to do this for years each time Sith history got more retconned and convoluted.

On a broad level, though, I generally still try to work anything TCW-related into the Legendsverse, even if it's been released after the reboot (so, stuff like the Son of Dathomir comic, I still treat as straddling the two, and if ever they release some closure for the TCW stories, I'll still treat them as just as applicable for the EU as the NEU). But... yeah, it all just goes to show why I don't really put much thought into the official labels anymore and just go with whatever sounds best to me.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The same is true of the films.

Ulicus likes this.
  7. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    So true, I was just reading through the TOTJ Omnibuses again and boy did they retvon alot of that stuff later. I also loved Ulic ever changing lightsaber colors, going from Green(in the beast wars stuff everyone had green) to blue to yellow.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Though it does make how much the EU distorted itself for TCW a little more galling, now. :p

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    What about how much it distorted itself for the prequels? :p

10. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I thought they have made it pretty clear that elements of the EU would be getting pulled into the canon.

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. And conversely, elements of the Newcanon still seem to be getting put into Legendsverse media, like the Star Wars Official Fact File - which continues to use stuff from Multimedia Project material like the microseries, comics and novels - and is now putting in Rebels stuff as well.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Interesting.

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I like to think TCW is not canon in Legends, causes less issues and the multimedia project was better anyways. ;)

Riv_Shiel, spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    There is a spark of truth in every legend ;)

Sinrebirth and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    CWAS has been referenced all the way up through the latter episodes in FFG's material.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I still legends stuff as important as the new stuff and won't get rid of the old stuff just because the story group says its not so. I still re-read LOE and Pleguis. By far my favorite books. In fact, I have all my novels set by eras on the bookshelf. That was why I wanted an Episode 7 novelization. It is going to be there with Heir to the Empire Books and NJO etc etc. Old and new canon is the same to me, and now after this celebration...there is a possibility that The Sword of the Jedi books could eventually come out. We could have two universes going on at the same time like in star trek.

Zorrixor and Charlemagne19 like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Now it's time to forget the Prequels ever happened :p

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Prequels confirmed as Legends. :p

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    With all the retcons that have occured, you'd think that the history of the Sith is part of the Zelda timeline.

I love that Ulic and Exar never use red sabers. Good times.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    And KoTOR comics kept this, with Kun's saber still being blue despite having become a "Dark-side artifact" with some corruptive power of its own.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Before my time, didn't care.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    This is why we can't have nice things

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Even the prequel-era EU had to start twisting itself. Ki-Adi-Mundi's back story needed a retcon with each new movie...

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Well his Backstory did not make that much sense.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's something I long wondered -- the Prelude to Rebellion comics starring Ki-Adi and his weird marital status started in 1998, before TPM. Does anyone know if the Ki-Adi retcons were made as a result of those comics? I'm assuming the authors didn't know about the Jedi/family rule back then?

darklordoftech likes this.