main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TCW Newbie... help?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Freakizimi, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freakizimi

Freakizimi Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    Hi All,

Basically, I've only just found TCW and am really hooked on it - I know I get hooked on things easily, but this is ridiculous! I think I'm mainly just enjoying the chance to get to know Obi-Wan - I always wanted to like him, but somehow I never really got into Guinness' portrayal and while McGregor's was easier, it still felt like there were huge great gaping holes in the character that were just begging to be filled - and lo and behold, I've found them filled in TCW! Love the snark...

Anyway, back to my question, my problem is, I get the feeling that because I am not exactly hot on the Board searching and generally in the know when it comes to TCW, I'm missing out on the extras that I think people are talking about on these boards - I never even knew there was a comic! It took me ages to work out there was a tv series, and a film! This is how dire I am. Could anyone help point me in the right direction to find out this sort of stuff? Where/How does everyone else find out? I just seem to get lost, just a nudge in the right direction to look would be gratefully received!

Also, could anyone do me a huge favour and help me find any TCW fanfiction? So far I've found fanfiction.net, but you know how relaible that is for some really solid fiction (apologies, I know there are some fantastic writers on there, but equally, it is first port of call for EVERY new writer, whatever age and the few great writers tend to get lost I've found:) ). I'm not saying direct links to stories (I don't want to be a complete sponge), but idea of where to start looking would be VERY much appreciated. Is there a particualr board on this website for instance? I've tried to find one but I seem to be having difficulty.

I'm not sure if this is even the right place to post this message, but not knowing anywhere else, please do excuse me if it is not.

Thank you for ANY help you can give me.

Freakizimi

2. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    Hey there!

As for fanfiction, I know there is a thriving fanfiction section here. It tends to be a little more organized and less, um, terrible than FF.N. You can also look at posts here - a lot of people have their fanfiction and fanart links in their signatures, and the fanfiction forum has a big index of finished fanfiction right at the top with summaries that you can browse.

As for the rest of the stuff, I usually figure it out by browsing through the posts here or Wookieepedia.

Good luck and welcome!

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    There is no fanfiction thread in LACWAC as far as I'm aware of. The fanfic board is a different section of JC, unless that's what you were referring to. :p

4. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Freakizini, don't feel bad. I actually knew all about the show but didn't bother to watch it because some idiot told me that it was "a little kids show like the old Ewoks cartoon" and I took his word for it without checking. Happily, I found a clip of Cloak of Darkness while looking for other Neimoidian stuff on youtube. After I saw Gunray pwn Gree I was hooked. But I never saw any of the show prior to late 2009.

Cloak of Darkness is a great way to start out since the episode is, well, perfect.

5. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Rookies. :p

6. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    *laugh* Yep, "here" as in TheForce.net's forums. Sorry for that ambiguity! :)

(I also swear I wasn't trying to pimp my stuff with the signatures tip! I don't think Allecto is a CW story to be honest, but I have seen some excellent, excellent stuff. Xcell's artwork is also really worth a look on the fanart forum, it's gorgeous!)

7. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Keep these characters in mind:
    Kit Fisto
    Hondo Ohnaka
    Mar Tuuk
    Embo

They're the best! My opinion? Hardly. If your views are a little more different than mine, then keep these names in mind:
    Plo Koon
    Aayla Secura
    Luminara Unduli
    Nute Gunray
    Cad Bane
    Ziro the Hutt
    General Grievous
    Captain Rex

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Embo? Meh, not really.

9. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    Welcome to the boards.:) You can post your general TCW topics on these boards but fanfiction is in a differant section. I'm not sure if they write fanfiction or they just talk about it, because personally I've never been. On fanfiction.net you can find TCW fiction in the general Star Wars category in the movie section as well as TCW's own category in the cartoon section.

10. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    First thing Freakizimi, you must buy Season 1 on dvd or blu-ray.

11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Welcome to the boards of LACWAC! Here's a crash course of the show...

-Had a movie (really, three pilots stuck together) that didn't fare too well. Picked up pace with the current TV series
    -You can find a variety of merchandise about the show if you look hard enough, like action figures or guide books. Mind you, some of these things were made more for kids like the current TCW videogames
    -I'm not sure about comics based on the series, but with each season so far, they've released 'tie-in' webcomics. You can find those in the official site, or on the episode guides themselves, though sometimes they're slow to update

Things to watch out for:
    -The frequent usage of old movie catch phrases. :p
    -Occasional continuity errors or plot holes, though that depends on where you're looking
    -How bizarre Season 2 can get. It's all over the place. XD
    -The fact that the main focus is on Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan, rather than other characters most of the time

Characters to keep an eye out for:
    -Cad Bane. Just...Cad Bane. :D
    -Hondo Ohnaka, chief of the Weequay pirates
    -The Clones whenever possible. Even the little bits of dialogue add a lot of personality to them
    -Supporting Jedi seldom take or share the spotlight, but they DO get great moments you can take and analyse. XD

12. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    There are some comics by Dark Horse based on the Clone Wars: Crash Course, The Shipyards of Doom, The Wind Raiders of Taloraan, some others I think. They are available in trade-paperback.

13. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Oh, I know those are around. What I'm unsure of is if they're still making those. :confused:

14. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Here's a link to a handy thread in the Fanfiction Resource board where you can ask for recs for specific fics. Otherwise, this is the board for stories that take place at anytime during the Saga, when CW falls.

Some of the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics were written before the current show aired, so they might be a bit outdated, but they're still fun to read. Here is a link to their Wikapedia page. You should be able to find the volumes of comics easily; I'm guessing that most bookstores or comic stores would either have them in stock or be able to order them for you. Otherwise, try looking in your library.

For the comics, I would definitely recommend the ones published 2003-06. Some have a lot on Obi-Wan in them. :D

15. Freakizimi

Mar 7, 2003
    Hey! Cool thank you :) I remember there was loads of fiction on here from back when I was championing the original trilogy still and strictly a Han fan - I just couldn't work out if there was one board just for Clone Wars fiction or not, but from what I can see there isn't. Really surprised me actually - I guess it all gets mixed up in the rest of the Prequel series stuff :)

Thank you though - I'll head over to Wookiepedia at some point see if I can shore up the little nuggets I've picked up here and there with that :)

Freakizimi

16. Freakizimi

Mar 7, 2003
    Yeah, I think it all gets lumped in with Prequel stuff :) Damn it! :p

Thank you!

EDIT: Ah, didn't realise this page was going to get locked - just wanted to say thank you very much to everyone above who helped me out - I have now put in an order for series 1 on DVD and I have just enjoyed my first Star Wars novel, with a comic book on the way :D

Thank you again! :D

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thanks to my LACWAC street team for helping out Freakizimi. I've been otherwise occupied.

I'll lock this thread now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.