main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion TCW & Rebels Now Officially Canon, EU Not Canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    That is an interesting point. How do they go about avoiding that? Would seem unlikely they would just never let a previous author write a new story. But you're right, it must be hard for an author to have invested so much time in to a certain character or story and be told they aren't allowed to use any of those idea.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Here is the thing I have to ask, are they just putting everything from before as Legends? Or are they going to systematically look at everything and work things into their new canon universe? Discarding everything is a bit extreme you know. I was looking at my collection the other day and man we have a lot of stories told between novels, short story fiction in the magazines/internet, comic books, children/young adult juvenile books, some of the video games, of course the movies with all its additions and subtractions, and what not. That's just hard to write everything over you know. You know that Dark Horse came out with a strong 23/24 year run of excellent story driven EU tying stories that are hard to just throw away regardless of what era were talking about. Even to this day, their Star Wars on-going series is kicking butt and that involved the original characters. What can Marvel do that's different?

3. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Ugghhhhh, all these what ifs, what nots, what should be, what shouldn't be, what about this, what about that posts about canon are giving me a headache. Maybe an official thread about what is canon and what isn't canon should be made and people who genuinely do want to know what stories are canon can resort to that thread.

And all the people who are just looking to create controversy or gripe about what they think should or shouldn't be canon can continue to talk on threads like this. Reading through posts about canon on this thread would confuse anyone.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There should be no confusion since it's said in the very first post of this thread what is and is not canon.

Canon: films, Rebels, and TCW, as well as future books, novels and games going forward that are overseen by the Story Group.

Non-canon: All previous books, novels and games, as well as previous TV series.

5. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Yes but unfortunately many many posters I believe have a habit of not even reading the posts in a thread. They just jump right to the end in order to state their opinion.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    You say that as if anyone who wanted to post in a thread should be expected to dig through a thread with tens of pages and hundreds of posts, and read every one, before being allowed to post.

There are few who would have the time or the patience to always do this.

That said, I certainly think one should always read the OP, and probably should read at least the first page of replies too, to get an idea of where discourse is going.

7. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I don't expect anybody to sit through and read the entire thread if it is really long. However the last several pages I think people should read before posting. In regards to the OP comment you made by the time a thread gets to about page 5 or 10 the OP is often no longer involved in the conversation and the topic currently being talked about often has nothing to do with the OP. So reading the last few pages in a long thread would be better than reading the OP and the first few pages. If many people would do that they could get their questions answered and there would be no need to add all these extra posts and make something pretty simple seem so confusing.

In my opinion if people aren't willing to put in a little bit of effort and read so they can try to figure out what is going on maybe it is better for them to stay out of the conversation entirely.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if we'll see comics that tie-in Vader and Rebels. For examples, maybe we'll see comics about Vader training the Inquisitor or about what Vader's doing during the events of Rebels.
    I would absolutely prefer that they leave Sith history a blank page and keep it mysterious. All the details and dates made things way too rigid for my liking and got in the way of many of my theories.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    edit: double post

10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

At the rate they seem to be releasing material I would imagine we will see all kinds of stuff like that.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    I'm done. Just done. Walking out. Getting very drunk. Just...can't even. "Story group" no bueno. I miss Lucas already. Hurts to say it. But I do. Period.

Oh wait, I don't really care because I can make my own personal canon. #freewill
    (Sad part is I'm probably still going to abide to their choice of canon *sigh *)

12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Anytime you find yourself upset that Lucas is gone just pull up youtube and watch this scene

13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The sad thing is I share the nostalgic sentiment for GL, yet at the same time have to recognize that's not even the worst example to show I shouldn't...

TheMDOSS1313 and rdhight like this.
  14. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

It's a problem that contains its own solution. The writers are free to canonize their old planets, ships, and so on, but if all they do is drop a name, then nothing's canon except for that name.

It's like in the new Star Wars movies, where they mention a Mudd incident. In the new timeline, all we know is that there was a Mudd, and there was an incident, and a shuttle was confiscated. It doesn't draw the events of the Mudd original series episodes into the new timeline and canonize that those events happened before Into Darkness (if that's even possible). In the same way, if they want to validate their own work, they'll need to get those actual events into the new universe, not just a sly reference.

I think if an author went on a mission to take his old stories and "read them into the record," the Story Group would put an end to it. There are big, history-of-the-galaxy-sized blank areas to play in, and I don't think they will stand for someone essentially upending the canon trash can all over their clean canvas.

Justrec likes this.
  15. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    It's not like the authors are being told that they have to hand over the income that they made from writing said books. As long as they are still being asked to work in the Star Wars universe I think they will be perfectly happy.

rdhight likes this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Just stumbled upon this thread, but the question Force Smuggler was getting at, I believe, is whether or not TCW is part of the "Legends" continuity. The answer is that there is no "Legends" continuity. Basically you've got two categories now: the canonical SW story (i.e.,eps I-IX, TCW, Rebels, Son of Dathomir, A New Dawn, etc.) and apocrypha (i.e. everything else).

Think of "Legends" as being Infinities--a bunch of "what ifs" that all exist in isolation from each other. As soon as you look at it that way, asking what counts in "Legends" makes no sense.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Legends Sources like The Illustrated Fact File (ongoing) seem to take the inclusive approach - everything is part of the same continuity.

So they don't exist "in isolation from each other".

Joanne2108 likes this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    No doubt the Fact Files were produced when the EU was still part of the canon. But to clarify my point, TCW existed as part of the EU continuity, and still does in that continuity. "Legends", however, is not the old EU continuity but rather a catch-all term for everything outside the canon.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They're still being produced even now. Hence "ongoing".

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I mean they were written, or at least planned, prior to the new canon scheme. I've never looked at a copy, but I'm assuming it'd be based on the old EU continuity.

But I think you're missing my point. "Legends", i.e. the apocrypha (which is how Heddle was using the term) includes both the Thrawn trilogy and Infinities: A New Hope. Those two stories can't be reconciled no matter how hard you try.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Infinities have their own continuities - but the rest of Legends tends to assume they're all taking place in the same world.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    except when it's written by Denning

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even Denning books mention events that took place in books before them.

24. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Sure, that's how they were written, but--and this is the distinction you still seem to be missing--"Legends" is not synonymous with "EU continuity". "Legends" appears to be a catch-all marketing term for anything they choose to publish which falls outside the current SW canon. There was an EU continuity, of which TCW was included; "Legends" as a category has no inherent continuity associated with it.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    At the moment - yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.