main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion TCW & Rebels Now Officially Canon, EU Not Canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    First impressions from the fuhrer bunker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Good. I love TCW and its great to have it officially canon.

FRAGWAGON, klooney, TX-20 and 3 others like this.
  3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    It's really more like a New 52 situation in DC comics. The 150 novels that were released from '77 to '14? Yeah, they pretty much all fit together. All that past stuff is still canon together, in the "Legends Universe", we're just getting a new one.

I don't know. I guess I see the benefits of having a fresh universe where anything can happen, while also appreciating that I can now actually read the Legends Universe from Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void to Crucible.

In my mind, this is much better than them insisting everything still exists in one universe, and overwriting a bunch of stuff every time a new film or episode releases.

Dra--- and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013

Brilliantly said!

It is for this very reason of so many fantastic stories and era's, and such a broad and deep historical cohesive timeline that Star Wars has always been my absolute favorite fictional universe.

Losing the EU is a great loss to all of us. Even if there are some who didn't like most of it, chances are that every Star Wars fan that's of an age to have been a fan since before The Clone Wars has likely read and likes at least one or two novels, and so we are all losing out. Even though i completely agree that we can all still enjoy the novels regardless of whether they are officially recognized - which they never had been anyway, but know they are officially nonexistent in the eyes of Disney's Star Wars universe going forward!
    The one thing i would just have preferred would have been to have the new movies exist between any existing works. I mean the new trilogy is supposed to be about 35 years after ROTJ, by which point all the New Jedi Order series, and the Dark Nest trilogy has already taken place. Surely they could have just kept that as a back-story, having taken place between Ep 6 and 7. That way they could have still made new storylines that don't interfere with existing ones, and still keep what we know as the EU as canon. Sure some things might have had to have been taken into account, such as in that case, Chewbacca would be dead and no longer able to appear in the sequel trilogy, but that is a sacrifice i would have made to retain nearly 4 decades of literature and more, i mean god knows i love Chewie as much as everyone else but its not like we would be losing Han! Then any EU stories that still took place after the new movies time-slot could have just been left as potential future unless they actually intended to revisit them in new movies/tv shows. Although i guess like others have said and this will probably sound contradictory to what i have just been saying, but at least for the time being it only seems like post ROTJ material is being rewritten, and everything else seems in the status-quo for now. And as much as i love it, the post ROTJ material isn't as strong as most of the other era's. Things i wouldn't want to see ruined or overruled are The Old Republic era and other great novels like Darth Plagueis and Labyrinth of Evil. I'm glad they will be keeping James Luceno on for future novels as he is probably my favorite Eu writer.
    One of my absolute favorite era's is the Legacy Comics era. Darth Krayt and his One Sith, and Cade Skywalker are some of my most beloved factors of that era and i would love to have seen that brought to life on the screen one day. Though i realize that's waaay ahead of when the sequel trilogy would take place, and probably beyond where the movies would ever catch up too, but still would be cool to see.

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I never got much into the EU outside of the games, but it was a really divisive love-hate thing I had with the EU. I'm sad to see some of my favorite aspects of the universe get swept away, unless they are cherry picked by future canon stories as something worth preserving. But there were so many - IMO - terrible ideas, like Palpatine getting clones, Lord Vitiate, Sith Empires arising every millennium, yet people don't seem to care when it happens again, the idea that Palpatine is just kind of anti-alien for no good reason, when many of his supporters were aliens, etc.

Still, I'm excited to have a blank slate and have no idea where the story is going to go, moving forward (at least from ROTJ) or should pre-TPM material ever make its way into films. The idea that post-ROTJ tales are in no way restricted to the stories now branded as "Legends," means that I have no framework with which to really anticipate where the story will go. And that's exciting. And should a tale ever be made chronicling the origins of the Sith and not being constrained by the stories involving Naga Sadow and the pseudo-Egyptian Empire of red-skinned aliens, that too is exciting to me.

6. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    So...does this mean Korriban is no more?

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yes, along with myriad other things.
    We have no founding of the Rebellion, no end to the Galactic Civil War, and no founding of the New a Jedi Order.

8. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Actually, it's possible the GCW ended in 4 ABY, with the Battle of Endor. The EU explained the celebrations on Coruscant in the SE of ROTJ were merely a temporary riot/uprising, which was quickly quelled. That's no longer the case.

9. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    That is true. Perhaps I'll rephrase: we don't know what became of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Did it restore the republic and then dissolve itself?

07jonesj likes this.
  10. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012

But Morriband lives!

11. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012

Guess we'll find out in December of 2015.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm confused. That sounds like Mortis. Is that the same planet?

13. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    Y'know, one thing I gotta say about the whole EU not being Canon anymore. Well, was it ever really canon? Wasn't it always just a book series people just decided to take as Canon?

14. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Lucas said it wasn't, but some fans declared it canon.

15. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    It wasn't just fans. Lucasfilm (owned by Lucas) marketed it as canon (though it was a lower canon then G-canon, the films, which means if there are contradictions, G-canon takes priority)

Trebor Sabreon and Robimus like this.
  16. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    This. This needs to be broadcast on every single tv station.

17. Josh_the_Sith

Josh_the_Sith Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2014
    Welll, it really didn't say about the old republic stuff.
    Morriband is another name of Korriban in TCW.

And I'm gald about that Darth Bane is still a canon character ;)

18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    One inspiration for Star Wars was old serials with their cliffhanger-laden plots. I'm glad to see suspense and that "What will happen next?" anticipation return to the main Star Wars storyline.

19. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    I enjoy the EU. In fact, there are parts of it (the Thrawn trilogy) that I absolutely adore! Am I angry that It's not going to be considered canon? Nope. I'll tell you why. Just as a previous poster said, I am excited about the possibility of what we are going to get in Ep. VII and other canon sources. I am glad they aren't "tied down" to previously established stories. I think it's cool they are going to keep the idea of taking inspiration from these stories around. But if anyone has ever tried to create a story using already crafted material, let me just say that from my experience, the creativity is completely stifled by that and you don't end up with nearly as high quality of a product as you could have unhindered.

Vialco, The Shadow Emperor and Mange like this.
  20. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    No. It was once canon, like they're saying this new EU will be. Until they say the new EU isn't official, which is too a possibility.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I must say that I don't really see why people think that the SW universe was so large before this and now it's small and tiny because the EU was lost. The old EU is tucked away and not deemed canon, yes, but it doesn't really mean the galaxy itself has shrunken. It's still a big, large and expansive galaxy, it's just that it has a lot of new characters, creatures, things and aspects to be discovered and built upon; there's so many new things that lies ahead (that's at least the way I see it).

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Probably because they basically have said everything we know outside the visual content is invalid. Thus, they basically hit the reset button and say what came before doesn't matter except as a play box they cherry pick and change from. The galaxy has indeed shrunk because now basically nothing is 'canonically' known. I feel bad for the fans of the old stuff. However this falls for whomever it effects, hang in there. [:D] No matter what the Mouse says, they can't erase the Universe we have known from our memories. For me, 'cannon' is merely a label anyway. Each individual determines what speaks to them. Ultimately, cannon doesn't matter. I do however fear this will indeed not only cause Disney to lose fans but make the lame fandom fissures worse. I'm basically glad I gave up when I did. I *might* read Tarkin but I doubt I'll accept it as the history of Sir's character regardless what the Mouse says.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  23. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    That is correct, but to judge how big the galaxy is just because of how much is canonically known is not the way everyone see it; from a certain point of view, what is known has shrunken considerably but not the size of the galaxy itself.

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    *Language Warning*

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I know. That was sarcasm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.