main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Recommendations

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Cushing's Admirer, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Hello, guys. :)

I've only seem a few episodes of the cartoon series and the animated movie. I've noticed that fan reactions seems pretty polarized: it appears you love it or hate it. I, myself, haven't liked what I've seen of it so far. I am wondering if I'm jumping to conclusions. Thus, I'd like to hear what story arcs/episodes people would suggest I see so I may form a more complete opinion of the series.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    It depends on what you're looking for. If you could tell us what you've seen already that would help us get started. There are so many different kinds of episodes in TCW. Do you want something ambitious that will be hit-or-miss for you, or are you just looking for war stories?

3. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I wouldn't say it's quite like that. Many people, like me, both love it and hate it.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Dark_Lord_Tarkas: I am disinclined to war stories. I much prefer something that will grip me and 'hit or miss'. I really don't know the titles of the eps or arcs I've seen parts of. I remember seeing the first ep that featured Tarkin (I believe), I saw what I believe is part of the Nightsisters arc (Ventress and some other members were shadowy wraiths and infiltrated Dooku's sleep chamber and shot him with a dart that temporarily blinded him, if I have it right. I believe I've also seen part of the Mortis arc (with Father, Son, and Daughter).

From the films I like: Obi-Wan, Dooku, Tarkin.

Gry Sarth: Interesting. I'd love to hear your reasons for both. *If* I get into TCW, I am likely to be the same.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    The key word is inconsistency.

As someone who's followed the show since pretty much day 1, I have come to just expect nothing. That way, it's very hard for TCW to actually disappoint me, although it can happen (see: Brothers).

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    If you're willing to take a chance with hit-or-miss, I'd watch the Holocron arc which is Holocron Heist / Cargo of Doom / Children of the Force first. Then, if you didn't watch the Mortis arc from the very beginning, I'd watch Overlords / Altar of Mortis / Ghosts of Mortis. The first and last episodes are better than the middle episode, it's probably still the most ambitious arc of TCW. Lastly, I'd recommend the Deception / Friends and Enemies / The Box / Crisis on Naboo arc, which doesn't have much to do with the war (in the sense of battles) but is probably TCW's only glimpse into the plotting of the Jedi Council. I think it makes the Jedi Council look as bad as anything since Ep. I. And there are some cool Anakin/Palpatine moments in the second and fourth episodes.

There are other ambitious episodes, but I'd recommend starting with these.

7. Jamit

Jamit Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2007
    My recommendation would be not to just watch the show, but to "get into it" as well. If you just take the show alone... in all honesty there is a certain element lacking much of the time. There are episodes that I love, and there are episodes I hate. But what really keeps me coming back each season is the community that surrounds it. I look forward to listening to certain podcasts about the show as much as I enjoy watching them. Then I listen to the podcast(s) and most times I'll go back and rewatch the episodes I disliked from a different point of view... When I introduced my younger brother to the ForceCast as well his enjoyment of the show instantly went up. So I'd say watch an episode, then hunt down the ForceCast's roundtable about that show and see what happens.

Even the community here is great. I've commented before about how Dark_Lord_Tarkas and others clearly loves Mortis, while to me that is the one arc I wish I had never seen.

As for episode recommendations, here are some episodes where I think Clone Wars is at its best:

Trespass
    Clone Cadets/ARC Troopers
    Hunt for Ziro
    Friends and Enemies

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I loved Mortis, but I recommended it because they said they wanted something ambitious that would be hit-or-miss for them. Even if you hate Mortis, you have to admit it fits that description!

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    ImNotAStarWarsFanboy: Your point on inconsistency is one that even I've noted glaringly in the handful of TCW I've seen. That's a large part of why I don't like it. It seems to make Obi/Ani/Co 'oh, so noble' blech. [face_sick] And my preferred 'Dark Grey Ones': Tarkin, Dooku absolutely *black* which I just don't accept. The PT especially shows that *everyone* is grey and flawed.

And Maul *died* on Naboo, end of story.

Jamit: Nice thought but I?ve found that ?getting into things? and interacting within any fandom I like is very hostile *including* here because I have very rare views. I?m attacked all the time and I?m not looking for more of that?that?s why I had seriously been considering leaving here tomorrow when TFN shuts down?I have some real friends here so I?ll come back if possible but likely not very actively. I?m sick of the ?prove it opr your view has no merit? and ?Jedi are just soooo noble and Sith/Imperials are utter monsters? arguments. I don?t want to fight.

Tarkas and Jamit: I appreciate the recs. Thank you. :)

Tarkas: I did indeed and I may like Mortis if I see it all. I enjoy philosophical/moralistic/religious stories. I find different ways of thought very interesting, even when I don?t agree with them. That?s partly why I?m so disheartened here that practically everyone doesn?t discuss anything because no one really wants to *listen*. Practically every thread is a massive argument that descends very quickly into ?unless you have proof you?re stupid and have no right to your opinion!? stances.

Thus, I?d like to personally thank each poster that has replied to me for taking me seriously and remaining civil. [:D]

10. Jamit

Jamit Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2007
    I take your point and agree with you. There are some threads I've tried to stay away from due to the pointless debate. Though you can always, with the context of a podcast, just be a listener and enjoy it as such.

I'm a lover of the darker side myself. Not so into the Separatists but defiantly Palpatine/Imperials. Dooku was a misguided but noble Sith who truly wanted to unshackle the Jedi from the clutches of the senate to bring proper justice and honor to the galaxy (perhaps a bit speciest as well?). In the end he opted to bring the whole thing down to rebuild it from the smoking foundations. He kinda lost his head before though! Clone Wars has put him in a very black-and-white view, but there was one moment in the night sisters arc, right after he was ordered to turn on Assaj where I was wondering what was going on in his head. The series has never explored that but it is moments like that where the series excels.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I would recommend Ambush, Clone Cadets / Rookies / ARC Troopers, the Malevolence arc (Rising, Shadow of, and Destroy), and the Krell arc (Darkness on Umbara, The General, Plan of Dissent, and Carnage of Krell).

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This show generally lacks an internal consistency from one arc to another. That makes it perfect for someone who maybe doesn't want to watch the whole thing. You can jump in right in the middle and not really be hung up on what was previously missed.

If I was to reccomend some episodes they would be Rookies, Bombad Jedi and The Mandalore Plot Arc. The Krell arc this season is very well done as well but since you said your not into the war aspects you might want to skip that one over.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Jamit: Your understanding is appreciated. Yeah, I?m going to be very selective where I post/whom I respond to post-move. A lot of posters seem to have pack mentalities as well as majority rules ones. Neither of which do I like much because the majority seem hostile.

It?s not that I enjoy the dark elements or condone them but I relate to individuals better than groups in RL and when reading/viewing something. I tend to find one (usually mature male and focus on his arc: I did this with Tarkin and Dooku in the films and Thrawn?s close Imperial associate/fellow officer: Gilad Pellaeon. Gilad is at least presently my reigning favorite character in all of EU. Though they are supposed on the ?wrong side? all three men have noble traits and are very human, which is why I like them. Though, I'm only now *seriously* attempting to read all of his and Thrawn's books. I gave up on EU five years ago and am just now returning.

Thank you, agreed, going solely from films, noble but misguided is exactly my take on Dooku as well and from hints I?ve heard about him, I think it?s terrible that the Jedi didn?t listen to Master Dooku and then condemned him when he left the Order. (If you're not wanted and ignored it doesn?t make sense that one be expected to stay in such an environment.)

Even as a Sith, he was very different from the other 3 we met in rather noticeable ways and it?s *awesome* in my book that he?s clearly an elder.

eht13: Recs noted. :)

Robimus: The lack of larger continuity will drive me *nuts*. Thanks for the warning. I prefer huge, sweeping arcs that are constructed and interconnected well, for myself. Though, I can see for those that are young, have a different mindset/approach to sagas like SW where that lack of greater continuity would be seen as the safer approach.

Thanks, added your recs to the list. Is Bombad Jedi a humor piece? I really dislike most of what others consider humor.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'll leave some arcs and standalone episodes for you:

(Season.Episode - Title)

3.01 - Clone Cadets
    1.05 - Rookies
    3.02 - ARC Troopers (you'll probably want to see this one after some episodes/arcs to give you a notion of time)

1.02 - Rising Malevolence
    1.03 - Shadow of the Malevolence
    1.04 - Destroy Malevolence

1.08 - Cloak of Darkness
    1.09 - Lair of Grievous

1.13 - Jedi Crash
    1.14 - Defenders of Peace

1.15 - Trespass

1.16 - Hidden Enemy (prequel to TCW movie)

1.19 - Storm over Ryloth
    1.20 - Innocents of Ryloth
    1.21 - Liberty on Ryloth

1.22 - Hostage Crisis

2.05 - Landing at Point Rain (if you want war, you'll love this one)
    2.06 - Weapons Factory
    2.07 - Legacy of Terror

2.09 - Grievous Intrigue
    2.10 - The Deserter

I don't know how far are you in the series, but if you've seen those, let me know.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    No problem, please come back and let us know what you think. :cool: The more people like you who are willing to discuss things in a nuanced manner, the better off we are. I definitely think Mortis is the most directly philosophical of any TCW.

I would certainly describe Bombad Jedi as hit-or-miss, but I don't know about ambitious. Unless the ambition was to make Jar Jar a Looney Tunes character.

Yes, it definitely is. If you're not looking for that, I'd recommend avoiding both Bombad Jedi and Evil Plans.

The man wants ambitious and you leave out Brain Invaders?!?! For shame, sir, for shame!

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Save for a scene, the episode was a filler and I didn't like it. But feel free to recommend it.

P.S: Misread his post. I thought he said he was inclined to war stories.

In that case, let me suggest:

1.11 - Dooku Captured
    1.12 - The Gungan General

1.22 - Hostage Crisis

2.01 - Holocron Heist
    2.02 - Cargo of Doom
    2.03 - Children of the Force

2.12 - The Mandalore Plot
    2.13 - Voyage of Temptation
    2.14 - Duchess of Mandalore

2.20 - Death Trap
    2.21 - R2 Come Home
    2.22 - Lethal Trackdown

3.12 - Nightsisters
    3.13 - Monster
    3.14 - Witches of the Mist

3.15 - Overlords
    3.16 - Altar of Mortis
    3.17 - Ghosts of Mortis

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That makes more sense. :p

18. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Haha, everybody is going to recommend different things.

I'm with Tarkas on Brain Invaders. Great episode, but it's much better viewed as part of the entire Geonosis arc.

I actually thought 'Altar of Mortis' was better than 'Ghosts of Mortis' because of all the great allegories. But yeah, better to watch the entire thing, definitely. Thing with the Mortis arc is that it takes a while to sink in though. You may have a very different interpretation upon repeated viewings, which is great IMO.

I loved the 'Holocron' arc as well, and I'd definitely recommend the 'Mandalore' arc.

I loved the Malevolence arc, classic Star Wars.... but mostly super-weapon/war and not exactly philosophical.

The 'Umbara/Krell' arc (war story) is great as well, but it might not have that much impact if you're not too familiar with all the named clones. It's sort of a 'Band of Brothers' type of arc.

I'm trying to think of more, but I can't remember all the arcs/episodes off the top of my head.

19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    And then there are the ones who love to hate it. They know who they are.

20. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm much like Gry.

I love some of it. I hate some of it. And I don't really care either way for some of it.

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The one thing that I have noticed of myself D-D is that I enjoy a show more if I start at the beginning and stick through it until the end. If you don't do that you'll miss character arcs like Asajj, Rex, and Ahsoka that they've been developing nicely the last couple seasons. You'll also miss call-backs like when they bring back certain secondary characters you haven't heard from in a while for a cameo appearance, like Sugi/Seripas last season, and Embo this season.

They've also slowly been building up the stories of Mandalore and Satine along with Pre Vizla and the Death Watch since Season 2, so you'd miss that progression (you may actually want to try the Mandalore Plot to see if this storyline intrigues you). Some will be quick to refute my suggestion and say that they haven't been developing these very well, but the truth is we are in the middle of the series so we don't know how it will all play out. In my experience, if you stay with it for the long haul you get more out of your TV-watching experience. If that's not your thing, then I think these guys have given you some really good suggestions :cool:. I will second the Umbara arc, but add that the Padawan Lost/Wookiee Hunt episodes were great from Season 3, and the Asajj stuff from the arc that just ended was amazing for folks who like anti-heroes, especially Bounty. =D=

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Alexrd: This second list looks much more to my taste. Thanks.

Humble Jedi: I am very likely to be like you and Gry. Due to my analytical nature/moral sensibilities and such, it?s solemn indeed that I purely enjoy something. I really like to think, ponder, and *feel* for characters when I watch something. Though a thought-provoking story is also much sought but rarely found in modern film/TV offerings. Most of the time, it's high praise for me to say of something: 'This is interesting. It made me think.'

Watto: I usually prefer to watch all of a series myself, too. Cause then the progression/character relationships often make much more sense. However, if I don?t like something in the beginning that view rarely changes. Recently, I tried to watch Lost with my Dad and I couldn?t stand it. So I basically gave up after watching three seasons of tortuous material to see a few of S4 and 5 and the final two at Dad?s rec of major plot points for the three chars I cared anything for. I often do that too. I will follow an *awesome* character (ex: I did it with Master Bra?tac of SG-1) all through a series and ultimately solely like that lone character. That?s rather frustrating.

23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I myself say watch the whole thing start to finish or you'll miss something. There arcs and things that are connected it just takes the show a really long time to get back to those plot points. This show seems very polarizing, there are episodes the fanbase hates but others enjoy and episodes the fanbase agrees on but a few people just hate. I find it hard to get into more serious shows like TCW at the middle. If its something like the middle of South Park season 7 but if its something like Terra Nova absolutely not.

Now TCW is at heart a kids show on a network that aims at 8-12 year olds no matter what anyone says. But its trying to be written universally. Its also about the journey and not the end since we all pretty much know what happens at the end. Its more fun if you keep those things in mind. That said its not writen like alot of kids show currently on the air. There just aren't shows writen so episodic like this anymore.

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Just be warned on the continuity front. If your looking for continuity with the total franchise(as in the rest of the EU) be prepared to be very dissapointed. As for continuity with its self, it really doesn't have it. We get episodes in Seasons 2 & 3 that take place in the timeline before epsiodes in Season 1, which really makes linear viewing almost impossible. Its gotten much better on this front as of late I admit but those first three seasons are all over the place.

Its not so much a different mindset as it is a way to give multiple characters their own time to shine. Star Wars has so many characters. The Clone Wars in trying to give time to as many of these characters as possible doesn't act as one large stroy following one small group of characters.

For instance Season 1 gives us some character arcs for Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme. But it also takes the time to give us meaningful episodes centered around lesser characters like Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Ayala Secura, Asajj Ventress and more. If thats not you thing then I'd say you might want to avoid the series.

That depends. It is a comical episode, with some over the top humor between Jar Jar and C-3PO. I think its also one of the most well crafted episodes of the entire series and that Kevin Rubio's writing in it was very well done. If you find no humor that you enjoyed in the Star Wars films them this likely wont work for you. But if you are a fan of Jar Jar, or C-3PO or even Nute Gunray then I think you might find some enjoyment from it

Really, its a one shot thats 20 minutes long. Even if you don't like it you haven't made a major investment to it. Same deal with Rookies. If you can't spare 20 minutes to see if you like it then it might be best to avoid the whole series.

Yeah, unfortunatly I don't think your going to find a lot of thought provoking epsiodes in this series. Best to switch the brain off ahead of time:p

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, I misread your post the first time. Sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.