main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Season 2 Retrospective Thread (np: S02E20-22 The Boba Fett Trilogy)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    It was a bit funny given the lecture he gives Anakin in AOTC about how a Jedi's lightsaber is his life.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    That's going to be a problem. :p

3. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010

[face_laugh]

Well, you know what you like.:p

4. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Hey, everyone knows what he likes. "Rookies" and... "Rookies". :D

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    And 'Cargo of Doom'. ;)

This is probably one of my favourite character story arcs. As a whole, it does a lot for Obi-Wan and Satine, and there are quite a few tidbits in each episode. It might have trouble keeping up momentum, but then again, its pace helps with developing the relationship.

This episode was an enjoyable set-up, as we get a pretty good picture of where they Obi-Wan and Satine left things. She's imperious and strong willed in politics, but later on has a quiet moment with him. I also especially liked how INNOCENT they made Tal Merrick look. Honestly, if not for the season 2 trailer, we probably would have been surprised, even just a little bit. :p

I liked the design and abilities of the Death Watch, though I do think that occasionally the prowess of the enemies varies a tad much. Then again, it's the simple conservation of bad guys law: When you have a group of bad guys, the hero is likely to take them out. When it's only one or two, they're likely to capture him. [face_laugh]

Satine's pretty resourceful when she has to be, and it's nice to see Obi-Wan at his daring best. Pre Viszla was an interesting opponent, though the Darksaber tests our willing suspension of disbelief. I guess it might have been nice if he fit the regular depiction of Mandalorian leaders, but hey, if they gave him that, he'd be edging towards Cad Bane levels of hypercompetence. Besides, he's voiced by Jon Favreau and reveals that Mandalorians (or just the Death Watch) are New Yorkers. :p

Not a bad episode. I enjoyed it. However, the one following it would have to be one of my all time favourites. :D

6. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    i also enjoyed the part where Satine was talkng to Pre Visla and Obi-Wan at the same time. I thought it was a bit comical. I chuckled the entire way through.

7. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    As one might guess, I am a pretty big fan of Mandalorians. Since I became a fan, I saw Boba Fett's history get completely rewritten, and I believe this is the third time the whole race has endured significant rewrites (original stuff->KotOR/Episode 2->Traviss->This). As long as the element of Mandalorians being supersoldiers capable of going toe to toe with Jedi with some semblance of honor isn't lost, I'm not inclined to freak. I don't find it unreasonable that the Mandalorians would eventually get so fed up with violence most of them would want to experiment with pacifism, and I think it's clever of Dave or George or whoever it was to try to get the fanbase rooting for the bad guys here, as they represent our view of Mandalorians. The bit where Pre Vizsla said Satine "tarnishes the very name Mandalorian" was straight out of some fan's mouths :p

Now that that's out of the way, I thought this was a pretty strong episode. The Obi-Wan/Satine thing is brilliant, and the terrorist bombing/suicide was one more example of this show pushing boundaries I never thought star wars would - nevermind this show. I liked that they made a point of showing that the Death Watch was fairly inexperienced - I'm hoping that mean we see their growth into full-on Jedi-killers as the series goes forwards. Darksaber or no, I'm glad Lucas nixed the vibroblade idea - everyone in KotOR having "cortosis laced vibroblades" was almost as ridiculous as the Felucians in force unleashed with the lightsaber resistant bone blades.

8. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    To me it felt like a "the villain is paralyzed moment". Surely Vizsla would have seen her ear thing.

9. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, that did bother me a bit.

10. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    How old is Satine? I guess maybe 40ish?

11. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Around that I would guess.

I was told to post here so, I shall.

I still have a little to go but I gotta say, caching up on Seson 2 has been a real rollercoaster ride for me. I've been pleasantly surprised & highly disappointed by the season all the same. The animation is stunning, some great new characters(Admiral Trench, Tera Sinube & Satine even though I haven't seen her yet, but from what I read I really like her)Good character development in regards to Ashoka, Anakin & the Jedi; how the war is corrupting the Order itself...Palpatine is really sneaky.[face_skull] I feel that his character is one of the few that has been kept consistent in almost every throughout the Series; the only thing I'm not really thrilled is the voice, too monotone for my taste but it could be a result of watching three to four episodes in a row.[face_hypnotized] I enjoy intertwined stories more than stand-alones; the one on Geonosis was awesome! Not only did I got to see Luminara Unduli & Barriss Offee again but the story was so good that I completely forgot how angered I was by the prospect of a second "Battle of Geonosis." Same goes for the Holocron Trilogy...seeing Anakin almost fall in the lava at Mustafar actually gave me goosebumps! If only the whole Series were like this, it would give me less of headache... I didn't really care for the Grievous/Rex episodes, as it often happens with CWS my brain was totally fried by the end. Aside that OW confronted Grievous yet again, I didn't like the idea of him being a deranged Jedi killer; Since season 1, I've always thought that his hatred for them and perhaps the republic itself was related to what happened to his planet(depicted it the CW online comic) somehow and not completely irrational as it now seems. Now, I'm not against Clones having personalities but I just felt that in The Deserter it was taken a bit too far after all, Lama-Su specifically told OW "they will fallow orders without question" or something to that effect in ATOC so that deep level of morality in the Clones considering their actual superpose & their future it puzzles me to say the least. Of the stand-alones I have seen so far, I really enjoyed Lightsaber &Bounty Hunters because of the amount of character development & stark contrast of what the Order was and what it is now. My BIGGEST problem with the CWS are the Skywalkers. Taber and Lanter really need to go. While I agree that Lanter brings out the heroics aspect of his character, his voice lacks that child like flair along with the mild accent. I hadn?t noticed until this little marathon but Anakin in general is a bit too mature for a young man who his greatness is still trying to find his place in the galaxy sort of speak. I wish they could bring Lucas back to voice Anakin; I thought he was great in the Micro Series. Also, it would be great to see Anakin trying to teach Ashoka about things he himself is unable to understand and struggling to be mentor because of it instead of having Asoka just a becoming a mimicry of him. His relationship with Padmé has no real development what so ever?.Senate Spy could have given so much depth to their marriage had the producers decided to make it an arch since there are interesting elements in the Notorious[\b][\i] romance that could have easily applied to them with a tweak here and there to go according to their situation as well as bringing but, alas all we got was immature bickering?so much for a young woman mature beyond her years! :oops: Padmé ?s character was mutilated this season and so off character it makes Season I look golden. For starters, the politics on her end don?t make much sense(I was able to understand the neutrality thing better after reading the web-comic but it still BS because of the stupid explanation Dave gave after no hints of it were given in the episode), as do her stances. Is like the writers of show don?t even try with one of the most important females in the Saga

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Whoa, that's one big block of text. :p

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Lady_Skywalker, I'm curious to see your thoughts on Satine once you watch the Mandalorian episodes...she's really what I had wished Padme would have been in the PT.

I'm not a huge Portman fan, and I think Taber's problem is that she is trying too hard to imitate Natalie Portman's intonations. I think she should just do what Matt Lanter did and make the character her own.

On Lanter, I much prefer him to Hayden Christensen. The PT needed the older (but still growing) Anakin, more than the kid in TPM, where they basically waste 1 film, and then the annoying teenager in AOTC.

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I agree with that, Garth.

I'm the opposite. :p

15. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I prefer RotS Hayden over Lanter. Anakin is way too cheerful, but oh well.

16. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    I second that :D My whole beef with TCW Anakin is that suddenly he's American. LOL

But back on topic, The Mandalore Plot was a strong episode. Satine's character stole the show... but I could have done without the Moulin Rouge reference in her name. At some point I actually expected that she and Obi-Wan would start belting out tunes ;D

17. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    What can I say? I had a lot bottled in me! :pPerhaps a bit too long though, because there are lots of grammar mistakes.[face_blush] Hope it was was understandable enough.

You shall G_M, I like her a lot already... just look at my Sig.:p To me, from what I've seen, Satime seems to be on par to what Queen Amidala was but older and hence more mature and regal...(assuming) Royal by birth(?) BTW, I thought you might piece of Trivia interesting.

From the
    The Clone Wars Episode Guide: The Mandalore Plot at SW.com:

Duchess Satine and her royal guards were inspired by abandoned design concepts for Episode I. Satine was based on a Queen Amidala illustration by Iain McCaig, while the guards were a Sith exploration also by McCaig.

I still prefer Lucas & DeLisle?s voice work over Lanter and Taber's any day because they maintained the essence of the characters while adding their own touch. I agree with your points Humble_Jedi & apotampkin .

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I want to see GG's review, always fun to see different viewpoints.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm skipping Mandalore Plot for different reasons. For one, the review might be too big. :p

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Now I'm even more interested on what you have to say GG!

Think you could beat my post?:p

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I think the result would be a million voices crying out in terror and then suddenly silenced. [face_peace]

22. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
  23. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    That's quite a review of TCW, Lady_SkyWalker87! I also think that Padme's character is under-utilized, but the context of her character (politics) doesn't mesh well with an action-based series. I'd love to see an episode that goes in-depth on some of the political wrangling, corruption, and inner-workings of the Senate.

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    We've already had Senate Spy and Senate Murders, I can't wait for Senate Seduction in Season 3.

25. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Part of the reason I hate Padme's character in TCW so much is they keep thinking of absurd ways to make Padme take part in the action. Just let her be a senator for pete's sake!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.