main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Season 2 Retrospective Thread (np: S02E20-22 The Boba Fett Trilogy)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I sense Padme's life will be endangered once again. :oops:

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    My problem rumblewagon, is not that Padmé is under-utilized but the the fact that she's right down poorly handled and misused. Next to Chuchi, Satine or even Lolo, she looks like complete idiot! Not the Padmé I'm a huge fan of.

You can't be serious! Look at Palpatine & Chuchi! I actually thought Senate Murders was quite solid but the two MAJOR mishaps with Padmé really put me out.

Senate Spy could have given us all that...

I know this this OT but, is Padmé any better in the new CW books??

3. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    [face_laugh] No, I don't beleive they would Padme in danger. This is TCW writing staf we are talking about, they are better than that.:p

4. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    hope not![face_sick]

At least someone finds it amusing. :p

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Moving on to Voyage of Temptation, try to get this retrospective thread done before season opener.

Written by Paul Dini and Henry Gilroy, boy I'd like to see more of that combo. Shame Gilroy wasn't rehired.

Definitely one of my favorite TCW episodes of all time. We get great dialogue for once, Obi-Wan gets ribbed by Anakin for having a girlfriend, Tal Merrick (Greg Proops!) is outstanding.

The "horror" action with the clones didn't always work; I couldn't believe how long it took them to figure out something is wrong, but that's what happens in these shows all the time. [face_laugh] They're trained troopers - if somebody doesn't check in, and you're in a dark storage unit, they're probably dead.

Like the tiny spiders coming out of the giant spiders.

The climax was pretty epic with Satine declaring her undying love for Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan saying he would have left the Order! And then we get Anakin ending the standoff, and I absolutely love his "what? He was going to blow up the ship!" Wish we had more of that Anakin in the PT.

I remember when this episode came out, when Satine kinda makes a face at Obi-Wan after saying she loved him, I thought it was arguable she was trying to distract/disgust Merrick.

Also, we got some phenomenal icons from Humble_Jedi, love the one with Anakin holding the martini glass.

6. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Pretty good episode. One of my favourite quotes: "Senators, I presume you are acquainted with the collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi?" The scene when Satine pulls out the blaster and Obi-Wan says I tought youwere a pascifist, to which see responds Just because I'm a pascifist, doesn't mean I won't defend myself. Anakin and Padme should be more like them. The action was pretty solid, and the little spider droids were cool. This episode had some good things. The one scene were Anakin tells Obi-Wan to go protect your girlfriend, and Obi-Wan agrees shortly realising afterward what just happened. Overall, good epsode. This is one of the episodes I like to re-visit.

7. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Definitely a fun episode for me. I'm not as big on the Satine Obi Wan romance that was in this episode. I much prefer their bickering for some strange reason. It just felt more consistent than Satine's declaration of love for Obi Wan. But this one was made long before the other two episodes, so its not really their fault.

While I do like many aspects of the episode, I felt that the action sequences were a little rushed. While the tension and buildup were good, the payoff was concluded far too quickly in each circumstance. The spider droid is made out to be a terrifying menace, only to be killed off quickly. Same with the mini probes. When the attack pods smash into the ship, the SBDs are finished off in around thirty seconds.

Don't get me wrong, I like the episode, but the editing could have been a bit more balanced. Though I enjoyed the buildup to each encounter, I would have sacrificed some of it had it given a better payoff. Its finding the balance between tension and conclusion that makes these scenes work.

7/10 from me.

8. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    My favorite of the season perhaps. Loved Merrick getting grossed out by Kenobi and Satine.

Anakin's killing of Merrick and Obi-Wan's reaction were just perfect.

Satine and Obi-Wan's romance is better than Han/Leia and Padme/Anakin IMHO.

9. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    The best Clone Wars episode in the first two seasons. The Anakin and Obi-Wan relationship at its best, and as others have said the romantic relationship of Kenobi and Satine really is the best in Star Wars. The Tal Merrick standoff was just great.

"What? He was going to blow up the ship" may be the most memorable Star Wars line in a long time.

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    All right, my review:

I know I skipped The Mandalore Plot for many reasons. Some of which include the brand new "pacifist" Lucas approved Mandalorians, which, to me, are weak. If anyone had noticed, they did change the Mandalorians by saying they no longer seek violence, but peace. To me, that's not right. I'm not a big fan of the Mandalorians, (No, I will not say the fandom word; Filoni horribly used it in an Insider interview) but it's not right of Lucas to dismantle canon that's been around since the first film in 1977. Granted, it's Lucas' galaxy, but there are times where Lucas doesn't have to "shoot" the fans' interest. This is not new of him, but it's getting ridiculous now with TCW. Mandalore Plot introduced numerous of continuity issues, most of which have to do with Mandalore the planet and the Mandalorains themselves. I've said this in the past: TCW is never consistent with planets. Movie planets, yes, but not EU planets. To counter the new Pacifist Mandalorians, the old Death Watch has entered with a brand new leader -- Pre Vizsla. And do I have problems with that guy. Mandalore now has a Duchess, the Duchess was once in love, and most likely is, with Obi-Wan. Ugh, I'll get to that, too. Also, let's not forget the new Dooku and Pre Vizsla pairing.

All right, now going into Voyage of Temptation, I had very low expectations because of Mandalore Plot. Things were not going well for me in this story arc, as you can tell by my intro above. The one thing that came off as "ugh" was, yes, Satine and Obi-Wan's love story. How many times do we see this Jedi in canon have love interests. He's like the Jedi whore, in most cases. Honestly, if there's any Jedi that is going to fall in love with someone, it's going to be Obi-Wan. That story is getting old. There's also the Jedi Code and how Jedi aren't supposed to be attached, be compassionate, have possession, ect, well...Obi-Wan is doing a poor job of not following those codes. I don't like Obi-Wan turning into Anakin, in terms of wanting to fall in love; he's supposed to be a wise Jedi Master, not hooking up with girls around the galaxy. That's a new side of Obi-Wan, which I don't like at all. Satine, in my opinion, is a decent character. But there's one flaw that I don't like about her and has been drilled into the audience's mind in this episode: her ignorance and annoyance.

Satine was definitely annoying in this episode. Her dialogue was grating and her voice did get to me during that brief argument her and Obi-Wan had in front of Anakin. So much for Obi-Wan keeping the peace and negotiating. He whined and complained like he's actually married to Satine. Moving past this odd Satine/Obi-Wan relationship, there's one thing that I liked about this episode. Yes, we had two episodes that didn't feature Ahsoka, but we also got an Obi-Wan and Anakin episode. In my past reviews, I liked seeing those two together, and I still do. I think out of all the Jedi pairings we see in canon, I like the Obi-Wan and Anakin dynamic a lot. Seeing them interacting with each other brought some good moments into this struggling story arc for me. Qui-Gon's mentioning was a decent touch. We saw Cody and Rex together again as well. I'm going to ignore that whole scheme of destroying the ship for one moment (that bothered me the most, and you'll see why), and talk about the clones. Good clone moments. I'm glad that Rex isn't this invisible being that we all got used to seeing. His Gary Stu traits had dissipated a bit since The Deserter. But the clones took waaay too long figuring out what was going on.

Besides those obvious Indiana Jones references in the dinner scenes, I knew that Tal Merrik was going to be this evil guy that wants to do something bad. They didn't do a good job covering up his "sliminess." When Obi-Wan was pointlessly using that assassin probe to find the traitor, the camera kept looking at Tal. So you knew he was the guy. Whenever someone mentioned about the probes or a traitor was onboard, the camera kept going to Tal. It's like they're saying "Look! There h

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. They only created a new faction. One that doesn't seek violence, and got support from the people because they saw what the war had almost done to them.

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    The Mandalorians in TCW are pacifists and the Death Watch splinter group is not. That's what they are trying to show us.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. What they've shown us was the pacifist faction was very recent, and was created to abandon the warrior ways from the past. The mandalorian people have seen the result of war and violence and support this new faction. That's all.

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Alexrd, you need to rewatch Mandalore Plot and read the interviews. :p The Mandalorians in whole are pacifists in TCW; and even their new prime minister and Satine said that. The Death Watch is not, however, and they is threatening the pacifist Mandalorians. New Mandalorians is what they're called and that's their group.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are now. During this recent time.

Exactly. It's a new faction.

16. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    The new faction is them as a whole group, not like a splinter group, i.e, Death Watch. During TCW, yes, they are pacifists. That's new and not good at all.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If they are the ruling faction, the other one has to be the splinter.

How is that bad then?

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    GG - not going to argue with you that they kinda telegraphed that Merrick was the betrayer, but I kinda figured it was him anyway, just based on who else was the room. Orn Free Taa? HIGHLY unlikely, although that might have been funny.

With respect to Obi-Wan using the droid, (a) it's a throwback to The Thing and the blood test (I assume), and (b) I think it would be easier for Kenobi to convince the stubborn Satine that her adviser is a traitor by physically showing her proof of the betrayal, rather than using the Force.

Man, I'm great at in-universe explanations!=D=

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Easily the best episode of Season 2 for me, and quite possibly the whole series. It was perfect in every way imaginable. The characters were spot-on, there was excellent action, and, even though we knew Merrick was the traitor, they still managed to make it suspenseful. :p Not to mention the incredible dialogue! This is perhaps the only episode of the ENTIRE series that doesn't have even one line of cringe-worthy dialogue. In fact, every line was extraordinary!

The animation was beautiful. I loved how they contrasted the opulent upper half of the ship with the creepy, gloomy lower level. I also loved the throwbacks to the movies, like Obi-Wan's ROTS defensive stance while protecting the Senators from the assassin probe and Anakin's awsome saber throw.

The assassin droids' design was yet another stroke of designing-genius for the show. They were creepy, threatening, and functional, all at the same time. And having the little spiders coming out if the dome at the top of the head was a very nice touch.

Obi-Wan and Satine's relationship was definately the highlight of the episode. It managed to interest me far more than Anakin and Padme's. The subtlety of it at the beginning was brilliant, notably when Satine reminds Obi-Wan of "dropping" her and Obi-Wan's remorseful and longing-filled "yes". =D=

A definate 11/10 (Not a typo!) for me. Why they let Paul Dini and Henry Gilroy is a wonder to me.

20. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Voyage of Temptation, bad title, but probably my favorite TCW episode.

21. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    I actually quite like the title. I would much rather have creative names like that than "Brain Inveders" and "ARC Troopers". And don't get me started on "R2 Come Home"...:p

22. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah, I guess it's not too bad. I don't think they give too much attention to episode titles.

23. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    I enjoyed this one quite a bit. "I presume you are acquainted with the collection of half-truths and hyperbole known as Obi-Wan Kenobi?" is my favorite line in this entire show so far. This is the best of the more character based episodes they've done so far, certainly it blows senate spy out of the water.

I find the equating of Obi-wan to Anakin overly simplistic. In my view, it's the opposite - Obi-wan found himself in the same predicament Anakin did, sure, but he made the opposite choice. Jedi may have non-attachment beaten into their skulls from a young age, but that doesn't mean they aren't human (or whatever species) and I find it entirely likely a good number of them would find themselves strongly attracted to people. What makes them Jedi is to feel that way but stay married to the job, as Obi-wan did.

24. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    And who doesn't love this exchange:

Satine: And yet, I'm still not sure about the beard.
    Obi-Wan: Why not?
    Satine: Because it hides too much of your handsome face.

Move over Siri Tachi, Taria Damsin, and ???Dex???, Satine and Obi-Wan forever! @};-

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    The saber throw is awesome.

Voyage of Temptation is misleading though, should have been "Voyage of Awkwardness With Ex-Girlfriend"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.