main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Season 2 Retrospective Thread (np: S02E20-22 The Boba Fett Trilogy)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. To me, it seems obvious that the only reason Bail is in the episode is to deliver that line. It could have been ANY other Senator on the planet, and it wouldn't have affected the plot at all.

And I think you're being a bit pedantic about Seven Samurai. Okay, "note for note" might be a little harsh, but they can't fit every detail of a THREE HOUR film into a 22 minute tv episode.

But villagers hiring samurai to protect their village from bandits who are going to steal their crop? In my opinion, it's going from homage to ripoff.

And part of the problem is, as I mentioned before, we got homage after homage after homage.

Senate Murders - whodunit
    Cat & Mouse - Hunt for Red October
    Bounty Hunters - Seven Samurai
    Zillo Beast - Godzilla

If they had mixed up the release schedule a bit, or had a couple fewer "homage" episodes, Bounty Hunters might have felt different to me.

2. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    The Zillo Beast started out excellent, then fell flat on its face. The opening battle was excellent, the sequence in the crater wa very well done. Then by the end it was just a poorly done and predictable Godzills reference.

6.5/10

3. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I liked that scene where they drop the bomb and it plays havoc with Anakin's hand. When he looked down at it, the way he looked at it was great. It had a lot of symbolism behind it. The episode was okay at times. Seeing a giant creature like the Zillo beast was a bit of a change, but the story was "meh" at best. Overall though I can't see myself re-visiting it for any other reason than it just happens to be on tv at the moment.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I would like both Zillo Beast episodes better if the creature hadn't flat members.

5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    As nitpicky as that sounds, I have to agree. Baaaad tapewormy design...

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Forgot to say episodes.

7. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    I liked the Zillo Beast's design. It deviated from the "generic" scary monster design.

8. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    "The Zillo Beast" was alright at best. I loved the opening battle, and when they first saw it. But once the scene were they found it ends, the episode went downhill. The following episode was slightly better. 6/10

9. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    I think that's a good bridge to The Zillo Beast Strikes Back, if that's okay with everyone. It seems like we've said all that there is to say about TZB, anyway.

TZBSB was good for me in the sense that we get to see something awsome that we couldn't see under normal cirsumstances, a gigantic monster raging through Coruscant. It's kind of like Resurrection. Having Vader fight Maul is great in the first read, but by the third you've seen enough of it. I was estatic about this episode while watching it, but just the other day I watched it on my iPhone and it wasn't nearly as good.

Anyway, into the details. I love seeing Palpatine being evil . Love it love it love it love it love it. In Season 1 I was watching him like a volcano getting reasy to erupt, knowing the evil was ready to come out but couldn't. It was great to see a little lava come out for once. Mas Amedda was great to see, I loved the detail in his teeth and the sound of his staff hitting the ground. Dr. Boll was a good one-off character that wasn'rt a "superhero".

The action sequences were pretty good. I especially liked Yoda and Aayla running on the Zillo Beast. Neccessary? No. Awsome? Yes! The Beast's rampage was done quite well, with awsome lighting and reactions from the citizens. I would also like to point out that the shot of the beast looking in Palpatine's window and casting an eerie glow made me cheer.

The ending was about the most emotional thing we've seen in TCW so far. I almost cried. :_|

Like I said, it was great, but not nearly as good the second time around. 7.5/10

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Can't argue with anything there. =D=

The animation was incredible.

11. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Alright episode. The one thing that bothered me though was why did they take it to Coruscant? I mean it's like "We've never dealt with this type of creature before, we're mostly just feeeeling around in the dark. I got an idea, leat's take it to a highly populized planet." Other than that, it was alright. Not great, but okay.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You can't say "Let's agree to disagree" and then continue to argue. It puts me in a Catch-22. :p

Right there was something else I meant to say Zillo beast...hmmm....umm...

Well, I like the various godzilla related symbols that show up throughout the episode. While very direct in their reference to godzilla, their blink and you'll miss nature makes them rather unobtrusive, and a good laugh when you see it.

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The episode name is just god awful. :oops:

14. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Agreed.

15. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010

Agreed.

16. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Also agreed. The only thing that bothers me more than simple names (Bounty Hunters, Clone Cadets) are ripoffs like this one. :oops:

17. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    For me the Zillo beast episodes were a pleasant surprise. I was expecting them to be wall to wall godzilla fanservice, but they were much more about Palpatine, I think giving him the largest role we've seen all series and showcasing what a manipulative opportunistic utilitarian he is even in his guise as the benevolent chancellor. Particularly loved his cheerful speeches to Dr. Boll and Anakin justifying cruelty. The endings, both for the Zillo beast itself and Palpatine's order to clone it were brilliant. The animation was also outstanding.

One issue that crops up frequently in tv/movies: Dr Boll was evidently a weapon scientist who helped design that EMP-nuke - that's physics. Yet as soon as the Zillo Beast turns up she's a biologist? buh?

18. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    The Zillo Beast Strikes Back was pretty cool. Loved the C-3PO/R2 moments. I do agree that of all places, bring the Zillo to Coruscant?

But I would say it's 8/10.

19. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Plus she made the toxin, making her a chemist.

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In fiction, all scientists know everything about science.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OmnidisciplinaryScientist

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Kudos to MercenaryAce for posting that, came in here to post the exact same thing. [:D]

Since there's only one day until S3 premiere, let's do the Boba Fett trilogy in one day!

22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, I have a review for these episodes. :p

Order of "worth-watching" for me:
    1. Death Trap
    3. R2 Come Home/Lethal Trackdown

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The only complain I have is R2 Come Home, which was a waste of time. Time which was needed in Lethal Trackdown.

24. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    The Boba Fett Trilogy was one of the biggest cases of trailer/actual product disparity I can think of. That trailer was mindboggling, amazing, it seemed like we would get a proper Star Wars film with this trilogy.

Death Trap was a very good introduction. It never really took off, like it could, but then again it didn't have to. It set the stage nicely for the upcoming episodes, presenting us with young Boba's obsession and his relationship with Aurra.

And then R2 Come Home came along, completely dropped the ball and extinguished any hopes of the trilogy living up to the trailer. A full episode in which basically nothing happens to move the plot along. A silly "Lassie" episode that undermined the tension created by Death Trap, that lowered the stakes of Boba's revenge.

By the time Lethal Trackdown got into gear, it was already too late. It was a solid episode, with some powerful moments, great characters and a half-baked resolution. In the end we're left with just shreds of what this trilogy could, and should, have been.

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I agree. R2 Come Home would have been a good fun episode, if it had been a one-parter (and 3PO would have been in it as well), but they inserted it in between Boba Fett Trilogy, which dropped the tension. Then everything that interested me in this trilogy (Plo Koon, Hondo, Wild West) was stuffed in Lethal Trackdown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.