1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

TCW Season 2 Retrospective Thread (np: S02E20-22 The Boba Fett Trilogy)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Garth Maul, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGrievous Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Given the size of it and the distance they showed between the Star Destroyer and frigate in the episode, you can see it is fairly far. But I think we can let this pass for now, Alexrd.
  2. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    I di like the Sidious scenes because it showed just how creepy and evil he really is. Yes, Mustafar was unavailable. I get the sense they stuck it in there to show why it was the Seperatists' base of operations in ROTS. Which they could have done in a different episode. The jedi mind trick was cool. Just to see it on that kind of level was something I enjoyed seeing. But it is not my favourite episode, not even close.
  3. GGrievous Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't know about Sidious in TCW. He wasn't Ian McDiarmid like, and perhaps it was just his voice and the way the voice actor presented Sidious.
  4. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    That scene is pretty odd, considering how reserved he usually is, but I guess he just needed to get some evil out. It can't be easy to be an evil genius and act good all the time. [face_skull]
  5. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    I liked the fact that it showed him being menacing and evil. Mostly we see Palpatine as rather quiet and subdued as a Sith Lord. Except a few scenes in ROTS and ROTJ. So I liked seeing him acting very maniacal. It may be relatively out of character for him, but not a Sith Lord.
  6. ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I thought Children Of The Force was a great episode. I liked seeing all the planets they showed, and seeing Cad Bane's base in the asteroids kind of reminded me of one of the pirate bases you have to destroy in some missions in Star Wars: Empire At War.
  7. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I felt that the pacing was very SW-like, and I actually liked the number of locales, whilst at the same time thinking "wish we could spend more time here".

Now onto Senate Spy:

the opening when Anakin comes to Padme's apartment is pretty awesome, really shows how the animation has advanced. They're still a little stiff when they come together for an embrace, but it's not bad.

not really sold on Padme's voice actor for this episode. The dialogue is probably better than most of the PT films though at least lol.

I always think it's weird that someone as high-profile as Padme Amidala would have this hugely open apartment, with so much potential for kidnapping, etc. Particularly after the events of AOTC. Doesn't really make sense. ;)

The annoying thing with Padme is that she always puts her job #1, and then she gets mad when Anakin does the same? That's either sloppy writing, or a character with double standards....you tell me which it is. ;)

So: Did Anakin manipulate Padme, or did he actually not want her to go? You tell me?

Still can't stand the fact that Padme is negotiating with the Neimoidians.

Okay, I'm bored. Could only get halfway through.

8. Alexrd Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let's move onto LaPR. Senate Spy had the character's behaviour switched (Anakin and Padmé), Padmé once again not doing "senating", and the request from the Jedi Council for Padmé to be a spy was a bit awkward. The only interesting thing was the locations and places. Nothing else.
  9. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    I did not enjoy this episode that much, either. What is there to say, this episode was so uneventful I can barely remember it at all. I remember Padme and Anakin argueing and that's about it. Something about poison, Anakin being angry. It was basically a re-hashed story.

BTW Garth, in regards to Padme either being poorly written or having a double standard. I think it's a little of both.:p
  10. koonfan Jedi Knight

star 4
    Not my favourite episode by a longshot, but I have much respect for the crew that wanted to try this, especially where not a lightsaber or blaster is activated or fired.

I did like the relationship writing between Anakin and Padme and thought it resolved itself nicely in the open-and-shut style of the episode, even if their opening dinner scene made me think of a sitcom style 'Honey, I'm home'. [face_laugh]
  11. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Senate Spy had a lot of things going against it, like Padme's personality (And voice, for that matter), messed up continuity regarding the Seperatists in the Republic, and how everyone kept saying Clovis was Padme's "friend" while winking. Just say girlfriend!

However, for all the bad details going against it, I still enjoyed the overall plot and thought it was a good way to add the Senate to TCW and still be interesting. 6/10
  12. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I want to know more about Padme and Clovis. I thought the episode was well done. It's a good preface into LaPR. It has to be tough to write episodes centered around Padme and not constantly fall back into the well of "damsel in distress" storyline.
  13. GGrievous Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I wouldn't call it well done, and it's not because of the "no violence" act the writers wanted to show, it was the overall story. I did not understand why Padme is the council's or anyone's go-to senator, when there's more senators to choose from. This has been shown a lot in the series, too. The act of "poisoning Padme" was definitely a "give me a break" moment; we know nothing is going to happen to Padme, so basically their was absolutely no tension throughout the episode. Clovis was essentially a weak character from when he was introduced in the episode, but his love for Padme was interesting for me. Anakin, of course, would go with as her chaperone and we know, as the audience, they're secretly married and Anakin was only trying to protect her. Leaving Clovis on the planet was a cold move by him and not very Jedi-like. But we know Anakin is not a Jedi-like person.

Going into more of Padme's role, I don't care for Catherine Tabor's voicing of Padme. A lot of her moments in this episode were flat. Her character model's clothing was odd. About the CIS, yes, they certainly did not fully understand who was aligned with who. Filoni seemed to not understand either, judging his episode commentary. Certainly the Jedi knew of the separate corporations -- like the Trade Federation or IGBC -- joining Dooku, because of Obi-Wan. We do not know if that was intentional or Lucas was giving them advice. But if it was Lucas, then wow. He must have forgotten about AOTC. But that's not a shocker. For a quick example, electrostaffs being hit with lightsabers in ROTS. In TCW, Grievous literally destroyed an electrostaff by hitting it with a lightsaber.

Not the best lead-in episode to some story arc and it was one of the weaker episode so far for me. I gave it a 3/10, if I remember correctly last year.
  14. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    So that episode suggests that the Banking Clan is not part of the CIS, is there anything that suggests the Banking Clan never signed the treaty they said they would sign in AOTC?
  15. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I always took it as Scipio is part of the IGBC, but stayed in the Republic as a planet. That way, the Banking Clan can be a part of the CIS in other sources, and the episode makes sense.
  16. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    The episode did have a good concept with a spy in the senate. Generic, but it could have been good.

But they took the concept of a senate spy, and turned it into Senate Spy.:rolleyes:
  17. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    This was an awful, awful episode. Coming off the high of the Holocron trilogy, this was just SUCH a disappointment. It actually prompted one of my two Star Wars buddies to completely abandon the series. And it certainly has NOTHING to do with the "no proper action" aspect of it. That is perfectly fine and quite bold. But if you remove the action, then you have to be extra careful about inserting a pretty good story and characters to fill that space. And, well... that wasn't really the case. Padmé's posioning was an overall low point in the series. Lot Dodd does it to have control over Clovis, but is apparently unprepared to deal with surprising fact that Clovis would ask pretty vehemently for an antidote. It's deflated tension throughout.

And on top of that they completely screwed up with the logic of SW politics, by having half the CIS still as full members of the Republic.

I do not consider this episode a part of the excellent Geonosis arc. Actually, I don't consider it a part of the CW series...
  18. Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master

star 4
    ughh, this was not a good episode. It blatantly contradicts a number of details from the films and every other Clone Wars source. Now, people here on the forums might have come up with the solution to these contradictions, but to the average watcher, nothing in this episode will make a lick of sense.

The characterization of Padme and Anakin is backward, Rush Clovis's character had potential but was never seen again, and the amount of stupid mistakes done by the characters made me facepalm over and over.
  19. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    Would it be accurate to say that this episode is the worse so far of the TCW series, and likely the worst when the series is said and done?
  20. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I'd say so. The thing is that while other bad episodes had at least some aspects going for them, this one manages to fail across the board. Bad acting, bad characterization, bad continuity, bad storyline, bad action, bad dialogue, bad character models (hello Mar Tuuk clones!)...
  21. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10

[face_laugh] ..................................[face_worried]
  22. fistofan1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ugh, those Mar Tuuk copies irk me to no end. They just stuck jim in there wearing a flat graduation hat. The least they could have done is put masks on them to hide the fact that they look the same.
  23. Alexrd Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No. To me, that belongs to Blue Shadow Virus.
  24. JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master

star 10
    At least Vindi was comical at times.
  25. Alexrd Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not for me. Almost everything in that episode was nonsense. Why would Padmé, a senator, investigate a virus on her planet? Why would she go into the field? There were no specialized units on Naboo to do that? Jar Jar voice was wrong (Ahmed is back in season 3 thankfully) and Padmé saying that they found the place thanks to Jar Jar was another awkward moment after what he did to the room. Then, it's the pressurized clone armor who doesn't filter the air, etc, etc...

Sorry for the off-topic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.