main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Season 2 Retrospective Thread (np: S02E20-22 The Boba Fett Trilogy)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I thought your least favorite was R2 Come Home. Bloody Lassie knockoff.

Yahyahyahyah!

2. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Ah well, I don't hate Senate Spy. I liked the switch in Padme's attitude, it was good to have a surprise reaction from her for once, not being OK with Anakin putting duty first. I liked her and Anakin's arguement, and that the episode was low on action and fighting, a sort of love triangle double agent kind of story.

Clovis was an OK character. Like Hondo, he's a villain who's not so much evil as he is greedy. Anakin's treatment of him was also amusing to watch.

The politics and whatever don't bother me. The poison? Characters-who-we-know-won't-die have been surviving through danger in this series. I don't think the story would be the same without Padme's life being in danger.

But I agree about Padme's voice, it can be annoying. And yes, her always being the senator that hogs the spotlight and is placed into an adventure is tiresome.. And that awkward dinner dress..:oops:

3. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I conced to your point, but I still like Senate Spy less.

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh yes, I do hate R2 Come Home. But it's more because it was such a criminal waste of time which killed what could have been a very strong trilogy. If you look at the episodes solely on their individual merits, R2 Come Home is WAY better than Senate Spy.

Yeas, Blue Shadow Virus is a painful one, but at least it had some good action beats towards the end, with the droidekas on the round corridors and stuff.

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Senate Spy is Landing at Point Ran compared to R2 Come Home. Now THAT is the WORST episode! [face_sick]

And call me crazy (Yayayayesyes!), but I loved Blue Shadow Virus. Odd elements aside, I walked away from it feeling like I really enjoyed it.

6. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Yahyahyahyahyahyes! How can you not like an episode where the mad scientist is so mad that he thinks a deadly virus was the victim and MURDERED!

7. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Ok, I think we've bashed Senate Spy long enough. Now on to the gushing of Landing at Point Rain.

Isn't it interesting that the whole "Point Rain" thing is never mentioned in the series? Do you think it might have been in the script at one point but ended up being cut?

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably.

As for the episode itself, it was great, and one of my favourites alongside "Grievous Intrigue". It was a great achievement in animation, scale and epicness. Loved it. And that great moment of Obi-Wan's last stand was powerful.

9. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    What struck me about Landing was the in your face action as if you were on the frontlines with the clones and the animation of those sequences kicked arse!:D

10. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I have to say LaPR blew me away on every level there is. After Senate Spy, I was feeling rather lukewarm about this episode. I figured there would be some action, mixed with lots of battle droid/Geonosian humor, resulting in an okay episode.

I have never been so kriffing wrong in my life. :eek:

My jaw was on the ground the entire time. I was used to mustache-twirling villains using their ineffective battle droid minions to annoy the Republic army until there is an inevitable victory. LaPR was possibly the first episode that made the "bad guys" seem like a truly effective force that had the ability to win. There was real peril, which is hard to find sometimes in a show where the fates of 99.9% of the characters are already known.

Another thing that I loved was the design/animation. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw sand on the characters' faces! I've never seen that much detail in the show. And the amount of violence and intensity was surprising considering it was on CN, and airing on a weeknight at 8 PM at that! The flamethrowers are the prime example of this.

All in all, this was a game-changing episode. If Season 2 continued like this, without stooping to the level of ripoffs like Bounty Hunters and R2 Come Home, this show could be the most action-packed and interesting show on television. A definate 10/10

11. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    A truly amazing episode. I felt exhausted when the episode was finished. But it was great fun! =D=

12. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    This episode is where things really started to kick off. I appreciated the amount of action put into the episode, but the main highlight is just before the first commercial block.

The battle starts with that downright gorgeous shot of the Y-wings exiting the Venator in the atmosphere, then completely kicks off with the best gunship sequence ever put into Clone Wars material. This scale and intensity of those first few minutes put Attack of the Clones to shame.

Throughout the episode, the combat raged relentlessly, and Ahsoka got some surprisingly effective sarcastic lines.
    "What? You mean the GIANT WALL!? I thought you said "Oh don't worry Snips, we won't be going anywhere near that!"

Unfortunately, the final push felt a little anticlimactic. I understand that it was an homage to The Longest Day, but it also showed the limitations of the run cycles that the show uses. They just ran way too fast. I would have preferred a slow, massive slog instead of the complete blitz.

But hey, its a minor complaint, and in an episode filled with dive bombing Y-wings, daring rescues, big explosions and BBQ'd Geonosians, its easy to overlook.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I thought the "how many did you kill?" conversation at the end was pretty interesting - "what do I win?" from Mundi was great.

Plus, troopers with flamethrowers [face_skull]

14. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Landing at Point Rain is probably my favourite episode.

How can you beat Captain Rex getting threown off the barricade wall by Anakin and Ahsoka and screaming the entire way down. Then after getting caught, tries to play it off like it was no big deal. What was it he said, " Next time can you give me a warning before doing something like that." Saying it in his usual Captain Rex tone of voice, as if he didn't just scream like he was going to die.

Obi-Wan Kenobi getting ready to make his final stand against the CIS forces, only to have backup arrive just in time to save him.

The action was awesome. Ki-Adi-Mundi at the end was great with his death total. The way he said it and then "What do I win?" I wouldn't complain if we saw another eoisode like this in Season three.

15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    My review will be fairly mixed. There's a lot of things that bothered me in this episode, while there were some things that were okay.

16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    GG - has there been an episode yet you've whole-heartedly enjoyed? :p

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Rookies :p

18. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    Not the best written episode but it certain made up for it in visuals. This episode was non-stop action and little dialogue, but for a long time that?s what people were screaming for and in the end that?s what we got. My only complaint would be it felt rushed near the end and they could maybe have spilt it into two episodes but other that than that it was a great episode.

All in all I think I preferred the second battle of Geonosis to the first.

19. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, the final push felt a little rushed, compared to all the in-depth action we were given throughout the episode. I think it would have been better if the actual final objective of that assault was the factory in Weapons Factory. This way the 1st episode could stop with them having managed to get in position and preparing for the assault on the factory, and the next would be the whole Weapons Factory mission.

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    MarkVader pretty much summed up a little what I was going to say. "Not the best written episode but it certain made up for it in visuals."
    Mainly there was no story, which made the episode very boring for me. The non-stop action made the episode very tiresome for me, and I'm not joking about that. I wish there could have been some sort of development with the characters that were thrown into the battle. But very rarely do we see character development. In the beginning of the episode, this is what angered me: I hate those kill counts. And I hope we never see that again in the series, and I'm glad the rest of season two did not show that. That was so ridiculous. I know they're in the middle or beginning of the war, but I just did not see any reason for Anakin and Ahsoka (a 14-year-old girl) to count their "kills." Also, you cannot kill a droid, so that is what made is somewhat strange.

There was very little, if not, no dialogue in the episode. For those rare talky scenes, some of the dialogue came out as sarcastic or just gritty, especially Anakin and Ahsoka's dialogue. In the beginning, the main characters all gathered around a hologram, which happens to go around a lot in this series, discuss what they're going to do and then do it. Ki-Adi-Mundi did not seem like the Ki-Adi we have known before. Something was odd with his character model, his voice, and the all-around presence he served in the episode. In other words, he was not needed. Also, if anyone was paying attention to that awful "nod" to Obi-Wan's quote "there is no such thing as luck" spoken by Ki-Adi, he actually told Yularen that line in the beginning of the episode, but later in the episode, Ki-Adi actually said "With a little luck..." That's insane.

The main problem I had in this episode was the ending. It was awful; they could have done something different. It was a lousy way to wrap up the episode. Mainly after they talked by a hologram again, they ran up to the shield, ran through it, the camera was literally panning to the left and chasing Anakin, Ahsoka, and the clones as they were beating up droids non-stop. It felt like a video game. It looked so fake, and I did not understand what they wanted to achieve with that sequence. It made it seem like they just wanted to wrap up the episode quickly to be done with it. I heard they tried to do yet, another homage to an old war movie, one which I have seen, but the way it was showed it was weak.

Overall it was better than Senate Spy, but it was sort of a weak way to begin a story arc. If this episode stood alone, then it would have worked much better. 5/10

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Wow, 5/10 is a little harsh to me.

Yeah, the inconsistencies with Mundi's luck/no luck are pretty ridiculous; it's these kind of mistakes I just don't understand - don't they editors and continuity watchers for this exact reason?

I agree with Zandalor that the Longest Day tribute was cool but also looked really fake. But, here is an example of a QUICK TRIBUTE to a great film that doesn't have the entire episode based around it.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    And that is where most of Season 2's criticisms will come from down the line. The tributes that are so caught up in themselves that they sacrifice what makes the show good in the first place.

And GG, while I agree with a lot of your points, you seem a little harsh. Not going to criticize you, as the issues we seem to have with the episode are pretty much the same, just commenting is all.

23. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    For once, I wholeheartedly agree with GG.

The worst thing was the run at the end... what a bad decision to do such a scene when running looks so incredibly fake in this series. I'd say the average videogame looks even better.

The stupid kill count, the horrible use of the Force when they catch Rex... BLEGH. Totally struck me as the kind of thing you read in Star Wars RPGs or fan-fic, where characters do ridiculously lame things with the Force.

Ki-Adi didn't have any real function in the story, he also struck me as a totally different guy than the one we see in the movies, especially in RotS Order 66 sequence.

The positive things about it are the nice battle at the beginning of the episode, Obi-Wan being worn out by the war and the hilarious dialogue when Ahsoka reminds Anakin of the fact that he said: "Don't worry Snips, we're not going anywhere near that wall." Hilariously animated with Ahsoka doing the 'talk to the hand' thing.

I guess all-action and no story doesn't cut it for me either.

It was okay, but certainly not God's gift to the Clone Wars. I'd say 5 or 6 out of 10.

And whatever 'Point Rain' may be, it certainly doesn't look like the place sees a lot of rain.

24. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Point Rain got its name when it rained there once and someone pointed at it.

25. cwquest1

cwquest1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2008
    Not sure if this my first or second favourite episode of the show so far. in short though, it's pure, wall to wall awesome.

funny thing with LaPR though is that as much as i love it (and show it to friends to showcase just how cool this cartoon is), when i sit down to watch some clone wars of an evening I sometimes cant bring myself to watch this episode. It's such an assault on the senses that if im feeling a bit tired I just cant sit through it cos it gives me headache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.