main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW series has made the whole Star Wars story better (No spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Sabertrader, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Haha... here we go again with all the 'lists'. Not doing it, this time.

People will always disagree with somebody else's list and then post their own. We might as well just link to the other topic.

2. Sabertrader

Sabertrader Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    LOL, guess I'm just easy to please. There were some standout epis for me in 1 and 2, but really, I recommend just watching all of the epis in the order they are presented on the disc sets and judge for yourself. If you skip some, you may be skipping what might become a fave of yours.

I love the series so far as a whole. When I rewatch them soon, I'll run through every epi again.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Good decision:p someone liked even "Corruption".... which is quite incredible since episode is pretty....horrifying....

4. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Thank you, thank you. *bows* :D

By the way I have a question for you Sabertrader: what is your favorite episode from Season 1 and what is your favorite episode from Season 2?

That's true. One has to remember that while TCW plays on Friday evenings in prime-time it also airs on Saturday mornings on Cartoon Network and it does have a lot of similarities to Saturday morning adventure serials.

And as for the Newsreels, I happen to like them. Even though he isn't my favorite I respect Tom Kane as a voice actor. Sure many of his voices sound the same, and while I agree that it sounds a bit strange to hear Yularen's Mysterious Disembodied Twin Brother 8-} narrate for the show and do Scrubbing Bubble commercials too, there is just a presence to his voice that is just noticeable.

If you ask me the best voice rendition that Tom Kane has ever done is "Him" from the Powerpuff Girls.

5. Sabertrader

Sabertrader Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    Wow, I can't pick just one from each season. :)

For season 1, some of my faves are:

Rookies, Malevelonce Trilogy, Lair of Grievous, Trespass, and Ryloth Trilogy.

For season 2:

Holocron Heist, Cargo of Doom, Weapons Factory, Legacy of Terror, Brain Invaders (because of Ahsoka's choice towards the end, good character stuff!), Grievous Intrigue, the Mandalore epis, the Zillo epis, the Boba epis...LOL :)

I told you, I really like almost all of the epis! :)

6. Meical

Meical Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2011
    I think this is a great idea! Then I'll feel pressured to watch it more haha. I was gonna start this morning, but caught up in playing games. And now I have to go to the laundry mat and do laundry... blah blah. Maybe tonight.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    First a warning: Chronological order could be the most satisfying in the sense you won't see an episode where a side character dies and then is alive in the next episode (which has sometimes been the case), but it also means you have to hop from Season to another very often. But part of this experiment would be to see what effect it does to the viewer to see episodes in chronological order. If I could choose now, I'd watch them that way.
    So the question is, do you feel lucky?

The order most of us agree has been made by The2ndQuest, all credit to him. The first number means the place in the airing order (which isn't chronologically right) and the second in the production order (which is even more wrong). Just start from the top and go to the bottom.

(Airing ###/Production ###)
    Christophsis Arc
    -216/217: Cat and Mouse
    -116/201: The Hidden Enemy
    -The Clone Wars movie
    Droid & Ambush Duologies (overlapping stories)
    -106/102: Downfall of a Droid
    -107/106: Duel of the Droids
    -303/224: Supply Lines
    -101/108: Ambush
    Malevolence Trilogy
    -102/107: Rising Malevolence
    -103/109: Shadow of Malevolence
    -104/111: Destroy Malevolence
    Clone Trilogy, Part I
    -301/301: Clone Cadets
    Nute Trilogy
    -108/105: Bombad Jedi
    -109/110: Cloak of Darkness
    -110/112: Lair of Grievous
    Clone Trilogy, Part II
    -105/114: Rookies
    Ryloth Trilogy
    -119/115: Storm Over Ryloth
    -120/117: Innocents of Ryloth
    -121/119: Liberty on Ryloth
    Dooku Duology
    -111/116: Dooku Captured
    -112/120: The Gungan General
    Maridun Duology
    -113/122: Jedi Crash
    -114/124: Defenders of Peace
    Virus Duology
    -117/126: Blue Shadow Virus
    -118/202: Mystery of a Thousand Moons
    Stand Alone
    -115/125: Trespass
    Mandalorian Trilogy
    -212/213: The Mandalore Plot
    -213/121: Voyage of Temptation
    -214/216: Duchess of Mandalore
    Geonosis Arc
    -204/205: Senate Spy
    -205/207: Landing at Point Rain
    -206/208: Weapons Factory
    -207/209: Legacy of Terror
    -208/212: Brain Invaders
    Stand Alone
    -304/225: Sphere of Influence
    Holocron Arc
    -217/219: Bounty Hunters
    -201/123: Holocron Heist
    -202/113: Cargo of Doom
    -203/203: Children of the Force
    Saleucami Arc
    -211/211: Lightsaber Lost
    -209/214: Grievous Intrigue
    -210/206: The Deserter
    Clone Trilogy, Part III
    -302/302: ARC Troopers
    Zillo Duology
    -218/222: The Zillo Beast
    -219/223: The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
    Boba Fett Trilogy
    -220/215: Death Trap
    -221/218: R2 Come Home
    -222/220: Lethal Trackdown
    Corruption Duology
    -305/304: Corruption
    -306/226: The Academy
    Quadruple Ziro
    -307/221: Assassin
    -308/303: Evil Plans
    -122/204: Hostage Crisis
    -309/305: Hunt For Ziro
    Senate Trilogy
    -310/306: Heroes on Both Sides
    -311/307: Pursuit of Peace
    -215/210: Senate Murders
    Savage Trilogy
    312/308: Nightsisters
    313/310: Monster
    314/312: Witches of the Mist
    Mortis Trilogy
    315/309: Overlords
    316/311: Altar of Mortis
    317/XXX: Ghosts of Mortis

(I made one change to the timeline, switched the places of Supply Lines and Duel of the Droids. While it makes more sense to have Supply Lines in the middle of Droid Duology if we take the web-comic into account, I thought having duologies not overlap would be more satisfying for the first-time watcher)

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Innocents of Ryloth has nothing of meh. ;)

9. Meical

Meical Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2011
    I think I'm still going to watch it as it came out. Chronological order makes sense, but to me is awkward for a show. I dunno! I don't think I could bring myself to hop around in seasons, etc. Regardless of this fact, I'll still enjoy the show and understand everything once I'm caught up. Maybe then I'll understand why I should have watched it like you suggested after all is said and done. hehe

10. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    If I had to choose, I'd definitely go for chronological order. :cool:

11. Meical

Meical Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2011
    Damn! That's what everyone will say and then the pressure drops. I'll stand my ground. D:

12. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    You do that. [:D]

Personally, I just watch things in the order aired so far as I'm lazy. But maybe one of these days when I've got the time and the episodes, I might try it. :)

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Just watch them in order of air-date, keeping an eye on chronological order so that you can mentally place each episode in the right context. There are really only a handful of episodes that explicitly appear out of order:

116: set before the TCW feature
    216: set before 116
    301: set before 105
    303: set before 101 and 119
    307 and 308: set before 122, with 309 then following
    310 and 311: set before 215

So 116, 216, 301 and 303 are effectively "flashbacks", while 122 and 215 are "flash-forwards" into arcs that are later fleshed-out in season 3.

That's really all you need to know, IMHO.

14. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, that would work. ;)

15. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    So anyway, what about The Clone Wars has made the whole Star Wars story better, fellas? :D

16. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    MONKEY LIZARD :D

Case in point:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/Pilf_AnotherRound.jpg]

17. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Haha, thanks for getting us back on-topic, H_J.

18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This naturally leads to Hondo, the greatest addition to the SW rogues gallery since Jabba the Hutt.

19. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    And now we're on a role! :D Hondo is great although I like Cad Bane better, but that's probably just because of the hat. Both are certainly great additions to the list of Star Wars villains.

20. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/Pilf_Hondo.png]

21. GTPodcast

GTPodcast Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2011
    Yeah. A New Hope is the first movie I ever remember seeing; sitting with my dad on the hood of his old blue 1971 Opel at a drive-in in the fall of 1977. I was four years old. I was an instant fan.

Dad and I disagree about how many times I went to see Return Of The Jedi during the summer of 1983. I counted 11. He says it was 12. Anyhow, it was a lot.

But, I am sorry to say, I am a prequel hater. There are plenty of reasons, and I won't go into them here. But let's simply say that they drove me out of Star Wars fandom, and I was pretty sure I wasn't ever coming back.

Then I got dragged to the Clone Wars movie with a friend and his kid when it came out. I wasn't impressed. Again, lots of reasons, that I won't go into here.

But a few months ago, someone I trust in such matters told me that the Clone Wars series was really getting good. She pointed me at S03E10 and told me to watch it. I did, and was impressed enough that I started downloading episodes from iTunes, starting with Season 1. I'm now in the middle of Season 2, and and while TCW hasn't been perfect, I have to say, it's been enough to solidly bring me back into the fandom. After a decade away, I can solidly and without reservation say that I'm a Star Wars fan again.

I'm even going to ask dad for the Revell Venator-class Star Destroyer model - for my 38th birthday this summer. How exciting!

22. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Quoted for truth. [face_laugh]
    And I think that's a good thing. The flame of fandom (passion's flame, not the internet-rage flame XD) in many, it seems, is not burning as brightly, but it IS now more enduring, comfortable. That's what it looks like to me, anyway. Of course, the show should always strive to improve, but I like the pace it's at so far. :p

For my part, I haven't exactly revisited the movies after watching TCW, but it has certainly helped flesh out my appreciation for characters like the background Jedi and the clones, and even Padme and Bail Organa.

I always like to see characters get their chance to shine, and it's especially nice to see Leia's foster father getting some screentime. I've often heard of how the Skywalkers inherit the traits of their parents, and those are very true. But I think it's also good to see another source of Leia's personality get his time in the limelight. :D

23. GTPodcast

GTPodcast Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2011
    koonfan;

Yeah. There are some definite pluses to the TCW series. I can't emphasize enough how much better the characterization of many of the characters is in TCW than it was in the prequels. Padme is probably the best example. I like Natalie Portman, but Padme was horrendous in the prequels. In TCW her combination of strength, devotion to principle, and elegance really shows through. I also think Hayden Christensen is a better actor than people give him credit for, but the TCW Anakin is a way better character - cocky, brilliant, arrogant, loyal, impulsive, and with a wry sense of humor. And their romance is actually believable in the series. There were plenty of droids in the prequels, but there wasn't a single bigger "clanker" than Anakin and Padme's romantic dialog in those movies. TCW episodes like Hostage Crisis and Senate Spy, however, really showed the connection between the two - both in its intensity, and its dysfunction.

I did like Ewan MacGregor and Christopher Lee in their roles, but I don't think that Obi-wan and Dooku have lost much in their transition to TCW. I like that James Arnold Taylor (the best voice in the series - and I like the other voices) has managed to keep Obi-wan's dry wit and bit of playfulness in the foreground.

Nothing makes Jar-Jar better. Nothing.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    [face_laugh] I actually agree with you on that one even though i love prequels- i am not satisfied with romancescenes at all- in ROTS they'll will do but in AOTC i usually skip them over..... they are greatest weakness in PT-movies.... i love their story but something in AOTC's directing went horribly wrong in those scenes.... still PT is just supporting the OT- OT is the story's important part but i still like ROTS the most- because it connects the story and it is delicious in it's dark tones.....

25. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Dave Filoni is bit by bit patching up Star Wars after the prequels. Gotta give it to him :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.