main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TCW Was Doing Fine In 2012

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The-Eternal-Hero, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    This post needs more Ahsoka, though.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well the show got cancelled so I guess it wasn't doing well.

3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    The cancellation was due to a rights dispute between a certain company and another, bigger company who happened to be near one another in your TV listings and don't get along so well.

If it got cancelled because it wasn't doing well, why would they immediately put a new show into production using the same core team?

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    You mean that having a fifth of the season shelved before airing was also part of their rights dispute with Disney? Because I'm pretty sure that happened before the deal was signed.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The title of this thread should read, "Contention: TCW Was Doing Fine in 2012", or, "I Think The Clone Wars Was Doing Well In 2012".

People are really grasping at straws here.
    The show's ratings went down through Season 4, and hit their lowest in S5's A Necessary Bond, which only had 1.39 million viewers. Compare that to 4.92 million who tuned in to see Rising Malevolence. Fact.

Hasbro dropped TCW's action figure line last year. Fact. Toy sales are a huge avenue of revenue for business empires such as SW, so this move shouldn't be overlooked; the show was no longer viable.

Chewgumma and Heero_Yuy like this.
  6. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    This.

7. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    This thread is ridiculous. All this is boiling down to is people who liked TCW and people who did not like TCW,

TCW was not declining. Look at the ratings. It still had over 2 million viewers at the end of season 5. Anything over a million viewers for a cartoon is considered good. The fact is is if Disney had not purchased the franchise there would have been a season six and likely a season 7 and perhaps even season 8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_episodes#Season_5_.282012-2013.29

The Shadow Emperor and Watto like this.
  8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    A fifth of the season? Are you referring to not getting the full 22 episodes? That was more due to not wanting to give CN any more than 22 episodes, and if they had aired Clovis, it would have been 23.

9. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Read your first sentence again.

And, no, according to the statistics on the ratings you just posted, TCW's ratings were declining. Seasons six, seven, eight etc. are pure speculation.

Chewgumma likes this.
  10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Declining doesn't mean failing. Declining ratings are an inherent part of a changing media landscape. Almost all ratings are declining because streaming still isn't factored into the ratings system, and TCW has existed throughout that shift, making the decline irrelevant. The change in time slot furthered the decline, as it usually does, so the data for season 5 is disturbed by that; yes, there were more successful shows appearing which CN decided to make room for in primetime (like Adventure Time and Regular Show, which happened to hook the adult demo), but that doesn't mean TCW was going to be cancelled.

Anyway, there are just as many people here trying to cite "facts" as to why it was on the decline as there are people trying to cite "facts" that it wasn't, and you're actually trying to convince people of one side AND criticizing others for trying to convince people of the other side. None of these "facts" give the full picture, and personally, I've now heard from multiple sources that there was a contractual dispute, and CN put the clampdown on their contract (which makes total sense). Whether it was declining or not, I'm confident that it wasn't going to be cancelled. Cite all the facts you want; maybe yours show 1% of the picture, and mine show 0.5%. Either is negligible.

But if you want to make some sportsmanlike headway in this argument, answer my original question:

hlc88 likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Well, it looks like they've cut the budget dramatically, hence the much simpler and cheaper animation. If the show was doing well, why would they cut the budget, forcing a change in animation, the show's main focus?

I can't say that I know, I'm no insider. This thread is sorta irrelevant to me, as whether or not TCW was doing fine in 2012, it's now cancelled. [face_dancing]

12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Not to mention TCW has a new, far superior supervising director in Greg Weismann. TCW crew stayed on because they make good animation and no one has disputed that.

13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Nope, Greg is Executive Producer and his responsibilities are writing not directing. Dave Filoni is also Executive Producer and he is keeping the Supervising Director responsibilities, along with keeping his crew.

14. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It was a contracts dispute that ended the show not ratings or lack of toy sales. CN wanted it and Disney wanted it. Neither side could agree as both wanted to air it. In the end they had to cancel but could continue production on episodes as long as it doesn't air on tv. If you've been keeping up with the interviews and stuff from the past few months it has been hinted that stories/ideas could be seen in another format. The Clone Wars may be over as a tv show but it isn't dead, not by far, no matter how much the naysayers want to keep on saying.

15. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Wow, the irrational animus against this show is way stronger than I thought it would be at this point. I think some people won't be happy until Dave Filoni & George Lucas are skinned alive & hung from barbed wire over a shark pool.

16. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    You can think that all you want.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    (1) Where have you seen fully-animated previews to inform those claims? Because as far as I can tell, none have been released yet. The only images shown have been style samples.

(2) Besides the fact that LFA is in a completely different situation and the budgeting would automatically switch to a lower-risk system under Disney (since Lucas funded TCW with his own money), I don't think there's any indication of a "low" budget... not by a long shot. They've added two additional executive producers, one of whom is accomplished in animation, and the other of whom is an accomplished screenwriter for major Hollywood films. There's every evidence that they're simply shifting their focus to the writing.

Well hey, if you take pleasure in the cancellation of something that others enjoyed which you could have easily chosen to ignore for the purpose of coexisting more peacefully as human beings, I'm sure that'll be noted by discerning readers! Thanks for your contributions!

Many don't realize what else is out there, but I find it's funny how every other community on the internet that I've ever been a part of has been more affable, more enjoyable, and more equipped to reason an argument to its natural conclusion... instead of simply being snarky and straw-manning you when you've got a decent point. Of most of the argumentative people here, I don't think I've ever actually seen anyone say, "Hey, that's a fair point."

There's obviously other issues at work. Being reasonable, optimistic, or showing any big-picture perspective on TF.N is essentially like taming a squirrel. That squirrel has some power over you, only in that it can break all social rules and freak out and crap everywhere and bite you... but it also can't fathom the great pleasure you get from being civilized. It's... pretty sad, really.

Kids, please, don't let these forums teach you how to interact productively with other human beings. It's a mess.

18. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    So is your main purpose for being here to lecture us on how we should behave?

And how's that working for you?

Among those of us that you despise so much that you're willing to write several paragraphs on how we're all horrible people--how many have said, "Uh-oh, Praenomenon thinks I'm misbehaving, I'd better change"?

People still hanging out here when they only like one or two aspects of Star Wars actually makes sense. Coming into an online community only to tell members of the community how every other online community is so much better, doesn't make much sense.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I doubt they'd put up a teaser trailer with animation entirely different from what is going to be in the show.

I don't have concrete "proof", but there's no proof against it.

You asked why Disney is putting out a new show if TCW wasn't doing well, I suggested that the new show will be different from TCW, partially negating your point.

I'm not sure I understand the first part. You say they'd automatically switch to lower risk under Disney, meaning lower budget, but there's no indication of a low budget?

But why add executive producers and shift focus to writing if the show was doing well?

The point is, these rhetorical questions don't "prove" anything about how well TCW was actually doing.

You're welcome, mission accomplished.

Well hey, you could always choose to ignore it for the purpose of coexisting more peacefully as human beings instead of swimming with the snarks while simultaneously holding yourself as somehow above it all.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As far as the show, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to give a **** how well it was doing in 2012. I don't have a Delorean to take the "it was doing fine" argument back to 2012, and given how badly season 5 sucked, if I had a Delorean, I wouldn't use it for that purpose.

We could all post "evidence" and "proof" that the show was doing fine in 2012 and make this thread last 20 pages but on the 20th page, the show is still cancelled.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I often wonder about the irony in using the same argument your opponent uses to decry his position.

"We have no proof that Rebels will have worse animation, therefore you are wrong!"

"You have no proof that your opinion regarding Rebel's animation will be better, therefore you are wrong!"

This is incredible. We recommend a commission be sent to Lucasfilm to ascertain the truth!

23. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Oh TCW was in bad shape because it was getting 2 million viewers in season 5 while it had 3 million viewers in season 1. Even though the season 5 finale had just as good of ratings as finale's of previous seasons had it was still in bad shape. And even though a cartoon getting 2 million viewers in its fifth season of existence is damn good it was still in bad shape.

With the logic some of the people are using in this thread to support their claim that TCW was a bad show I guess The Walking Dead is a failing show as well since it's ratings dropped to 13.9 million from 16.1 that it had in its premiere episode of season 4. They better go ahead and cancel The Walking Dead because it is a show in decline.

24. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Well I found Season 2 of Walking Dead to be complete crap. Not sure how that has any bearing on the conversation though, unless it was your attempt to declare any criticism of your precious show a concentrated attempt to ruin Star Wars.

25. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Because they want money, but TCW wasn't bringing in the dough. I would have previously have said to foucs on Luke, Han, Leia etc., but after NYCC they don't appear to be in it. Sure, it's possible that the show was cancelled because of the Disney buy-out, however, the signs were there months before that deal was even finalised or made public - so it's unlikely that it had anything to do with it. Five seasons in fair enough for a kids' cartoon; it was time to re-inject life and optimism into fans who were over the show's long arcs, and scrapping of the bottom of the barrel for ideas (Maul). I guess bringing Maul back really just didn't bring in the revenue Hasbro and LFL wanted it to.

This why people perhaps people don't take warmly to your posts. Just sayin'.

And, to clarify, I'm perfectly excited by the prospect of Rebels, thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.