main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tea!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrZAP, Jan 9, 2016.

1. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I have to say that in the past few years I've really fallen in love with tea, and drink an average of two cups a day (though it isn't unheard of for me to drink half a dozen). I've become a bit of a connoisseur, trying different brands and types. My favorite types tend to be flowery green teas and mild black teas (with a bit of milk; never cream!).

My favorite tea might just be Earl Grey, but it's really hard to find a really good cup. Most brands seem to overdo it on the bergamot. Obviously with Earl Grey bergamot is necessary, but I find that with just a mild hint of bergamot it's fantastic while anything really strong makes it drop significantly in quality compared to a lot of other teas.

I got a ton of tea for Christmas, both loose-leaf and bagged; probably enough to last the year, or perhaps longer considering I also get tea when going out if I'm not just getting water. Really looking forward to diving into all of it.

So who else likes tea? What do you like? Where do you like it from?

This is not a thread for that other caffeine drink. You know the one. The yucky one. Only tea posts are allowed.

JEDI-RISING and Evening Star like this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I love tea also. I quite enjoy Vanilla Tea, English Breakfast Tea, Oolong Tea, Chai Tea, and Earl Grey.

Living in Melbourne, i'm very lucky to live local to the State's best known and beloved Tea Houses which has been around since 1898 which was started by Lady Hopetoun, wife of the then Victorian Governor. They've kept the decor faithful to the period:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and MrZAP like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As someone from the Southeastern U.S., I am supposed to drink sweetened iced tea, but it tastes like **** with a side of syrup so I don't.

I discovered Teavana a few years ago and really like it. I'll usually get them to make me whatever infusion they have on special. At home it's fruit flavored green teas or chai teas.

5. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Iced, unsweetened, and with a twist of lime. :D

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Tea! [face_dancing] I like green tea, without anything added. English breakfast tea; chai tea; Earl Grey; and chamomile tea, although not every chamomile is the same. :p Sleepy Time is the best because it mixes all kinds of soothing flavors together.

7. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    For some reason while I absolutely adore hot tea I've never really cared for iced tea. I mean, I like it alright, but I drink it pretty rarely and I will pick hot tea over iced tea almost every time, even in the middle of summer.

And yes I only add milk to black teas. Everything else I drink without additives.
    That looks fantastic. If I ever get to Melbourne I'll have to check it out. My favorite place is a cafe' in North Hollywood called Republic of Pie, which has the added bonus of also being a pie shop and having live music almost every day. They make a really nice cup of sencha that's good to drink with a piece of pie.

There's also a traditional pub in the neighborhood called the Robin Hood that gives very generous helpings of old fashioned black tea... I can have a teapot's worth (4-5 cups) for less than $3, while also enjoying some traditional English fare.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    The shop window of the tea house is by far one of the most photographed tourist locations in Melbourne - no joke. Everytime you walk past Hopetoun you can expect to see two things - a long queue at the door and tourists standing before the window of cakes with their cameras.

9. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't think I would go to that place. To fancy for something I just get in a cup.

10. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Yay, more tea lovers!

I don't remember when exactly I started drinking tea daily (as a kid I would drink it only when ill and I didn't like it). I started with green tea, but now I prefer black ones, Lady Grey and darjeeling especially. Japanese teas are also very tasty. I haven't tried Turkish teas yet, but would love to.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I got a box of Turkish tea as a gift about a year ago, but didn't get around to drinking it right away as I already had a lot of tea to go through. One day a few weeks later I decided to open it and I found the box broken and all of the bags gone! One of my roommates must have been taking it without my knowledge. I was so upset because I didn't get to have any of it!:(

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  13. Darth Dobrolous

Darth Dobrolous Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 7, 2016
    I love tea. Black teas generally. I don't mind some green teas. Oolong does not agree with me, neither does white tea.

The best tea I have ever had is from Orange Pekoe leaves from the Gorreana plantation in the Azores (only commercial tea plantation in Europe). Lovely, lovely rich but still somehow delicate flavour with a lovely golden liquor.

I also quite like good grade Assam and Darjeeling (I once bought gold tip first flush...my wallet hurt).

As for flavoured teas, I don't mind fruit flavoured black tea (especially if the tea itself is good). Earl Grey doesn't do it for me, nor do Lady Grey, Blue Lady etc

14. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    I had a really bad toothache :_| so i heated some earl grey tea bags in a pot and held one inside my mouth for a while oddly enough it stopped the pain (at the risk of tea pretty much drooling out of mouth but i digress).
    Recently ive tried to force myself into drinking more water and tea and less soda but considering i know nothing about "good" tea ive been buying at random and some given to me by my grandfather mostly Lipton, Arizona and something called Bentleys? :confused: Which was alright but not "OH wow!". Any suggestions? I'm still iffy about black tea's but slowly getting there.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Brands I recommend for a wide variety of flavors/kinds of tea are Twinings & Bigalo.

ReyPrescott - love this part of your sig: 99 and 44/100% pure love ;)

ReyPrescott likes this.
  16. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I've never heard about black tea stopping the pain. That's great. It helped me with nausea several times.

I think Lipton teas are really good although I've tried them only in cafes. Twinings and Ahmad Tea are my favourite brands, although I don't have that much choice here where I live.

ReyPrescott likes this.
  17. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Thank's and thank's :)
    I was at Starbucks the other day with a friend and decided to try a "shaken iced green tea lemonade" or something of the like and i really liked it , i think the key for me is something sweet and flavored with a fruit of some kind.

18. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Bigelow is generally pretty decent. Lipton is ubiquitous but not great; their black tea is okay. Twinings is meh... they have alright green tea. I also think Numi is pretty good, though their bags are a pain to open. If you can find an independent tea shop they're generally worth checking out as well.

Of the big coffee/tea cafe' companies, I think Peet's has the best tea selection, and I go there fairly often. Avoid Starbucks tea. Starbucks uses Tazo, which is generally crap in my opinion.

ReyPrescott likes this.
  19. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    I think our walmart has an entire aisle dedicated to tea. i'll look there, first time i drank lipton was a hospital cafeteria [face_laugh] i'd prefer something WITH caffeine the reason i chose tea over coffee over soda (main source of caffeine for 10+ years) was well... Coffee is poo to me [face_coffee]

20. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Generally if you go to a restaurant and they're serving generic black tea it's probably Lipton. Places with more options that still aren't specialties tend to give out Bigelow bags.

21. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Makes me wonder what McDonald's uses than? Probably lipton? My cousin literally inhales their sweet tea.

22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i like green tea. i have tried a few variations, but i'm always up for a new type

23. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I wouldn't know. I don't go to MacDonald's. Why would anyone ever choose MacDonald's as a place to go for their tea?

24. ReyPrescott

Oct 3, 2015
    Haha! i would hope not!!! no he just gets sweet tea instead of soda when we eat there [face_laugh]