main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tears and Rain: AU: Vader, Padme, Obi-Wan, completed 1/21

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Luna_Nightshade, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Wonderful writing m'dear - stunning descriptions - you always blow me away. You're one of the best authors on the boards and everything I read from you is a joy...superb.

You wrenched my heart out with the scene between Padme and Obi - how I feel for them both :( ...their grief so painful. But at least they're together now...

Bravo Luna! =D=

2. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    ?You left him!? I cry. The end of the cord frays, spins in the wind, and I am untied. ?You tortured him! You destroyed his body and left him to die there, Obi-Wan. You left your padawan, my husband, your brother to die! How do I forgive that? Save him or kill him, but don?t abandon him! You coward!?

How very powerful. I think you beautiful explain what torment Obi-Wan probably put himself through in the Tatooine wilderness for 20 years. I love though how Padme cut to the heart of the issue and the depth of her despair was vividly and expertly well conveyed.

For all its flaws, for all Anakin?s flaws, we are real. We all wind around our need to be loved forever, to know that we will never walk alone. All our love is not wrong.

You should really be a poet, Luna. This was absolutely beautiful. I think with this realization Padme had, she realizes that no matter what Anakin did, her love was such that she would help him find his way back, even though that path is wrought with danger to everyone and everything around her. She truly loved him and is going to hold firm to the vows of their marriage. Hopefully this belief will be enough to bring Anakin back from the darkness of being Vader.

?You know,? I say, almost smiling. ?You know, Obi-Wan. You know there is still hope for all of us. I have faith in Anakin. I can?t hate him anymore. You know I have faith in you, if only you?ll be the man you are and not the follower of damnable duty.?

She may very well be the last light remaining in the galaxy. Hopefully she remain strong enough to eclipse the darkness brought about by Palpatine.

Luna, I think you more than out did yourself in this update. My apologies for not responding sooner. You know how DRL can be. Keep up the magnificent work. I look forward to more!

3. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, it?s that time of year again?finals. Thanks to one paper that actually took much less time than I expected, I was able to budget enough time to finish this update for you before starting in on the next 2 weeks of studying. I really hope that it hasn?t suffered from my scatterbrained mind. Thank you all so very much for reading.

Layren: Thank you! Yes, poor Padmé?a bunch of stubborn guys and then just her, very much pregnant. That?s gotta stink. Thank you, and thank you for reading!

AnakinLuver: Thank you, and thank you bunches for reading!

randomangel22: If anybody could do it, it was Padmé! They?re going to hurry? Thank you so much for reading!

Star_Angel: *blush* Thank you?yes, I think that if anyone could have fixed this situation, it was Padmé and her hope. They all just needed someone to push them in the right direction. I hope you like what happens! Thank you so much for reading!

Nienna_Narmolanya: Thank you! This entire story for me has been an emotional roller coaster. I think I?ve put Padmé through enough? hehehehe. Thank you?I?m only just starting to get the hang of Padmé and Bail. Padmé especially used to frighten me, so I don?t know why I even got it in my head to write her? *blush* I?m glad you saw that image on the balcony the way I did. It really hurt me in AotC to see him like that, and I thought it fit. Thank you so much, and thank you so much for reading, my friend! Oh, and congrats on getting into the Archives!

VA_Parky: *blush* Thank you, my friend. You?ve always had faith in me, and I thank you for that. If I ever manage to write a ?real? book, I?ll hold you to that. *wink* Hehehehe?imagining Mr. VA_Parky confused?that?s a great image! *blush* I?m really glad people liked that idea. It is how I tried to explain why Obi-Wan did what he did to myself in the theater? Thank you so very much, my friend. Your reviews always make me so happy and brave. Thank you so much for reading!

ROTSfan: Thank you! Sometimes I just go a little? nuts with the lyricism. If I can?t do it in a research paper, I?ll do it here! I agree with you. Many things worked together to make Obi-Wan make the wrong decision, and I think he stewed over it for the rest of his life. But now he?s got another chance. Thank you so much, and thank you bunches for reading!

FitJedi: Yes?I adore a very strong and resilient Padmé, and I agree. She?s always been there for everyone. I really think she holds them all together in her unique way. Thank you so much?I hope you enjoy it!

Valairy_Scot: Thank you! I?m so glad you enjoyed it that much. Thank you so much for reading, my friend!

Gkilkenny: Thank you so much! Oh, I have faith in Padmé? and in everyone else. I hope you like how this turns out! Thank you so much for reading.

HandmaidenVeme: *blush* Thank you, and thank you so much for reading. I hope you like this!

Luminara_Kenobi: Yes? everyone had quite a rough time getting to this point. Thank you?I thought it was a concept I hadn?t really seen much of. I felt like some angst. Yes, I don?t think Obi-Wan really had that much of an option. He might not have made the choice we thought he should have in hindsight, but it made sense at the time, and I don?t think he should feel as bad as he does. But he?s our Obi-Wan? sensitive almost to a fault. Hehehe?and yes, it is his head. He did it to show his mourning for Anakin. Thank you so much, and thank you so much for reading!

dianethx: Thank you so much, and welcome! I agree?I love a strong Padmé. The Padmé of TPM and some of AotC is probably my favorite character? just not the eventual wimpiness that shows up later. Thank you?I really liked the image of her taking care of him like that. Thank you so much for reading, and I?ll pm you.

Anakins_Queen: Hehehehe?yup. The way I see it, when Padmé gives you an order, you?d better listen. I like it that way. Thank you so much for reading, and I?ll be hap

4. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Chapter Seven

[i]Giving over to the sand,
    A solid room to hold you in
    Promises my love to stay
    But I won?t give up yesterday.[/i] ??Remember Yesterday? by Joshua Payne

[hr]

I can feel him before we had land on Polis Massa. His presence is pulsating in my temples, a deep throbbing that only grows stronger the closer Obi-Wan pulls the landing gear towards the platform. The pain echoes with my heartbeat, spreads down my chin and my neck and into my chest. He knows I am here. Something inside him stirs to almost panicked life when he feels me, something desperate and still pained.

There is only silence once my ship goes into cooldown on the platform. I can feel the floor beneath my feet shiver as the engines shift off. Obi-Wan doesn?t even take his hands off his set of controls. His shoulders are trembling.

?Obi-Wan?? I whisper, afraid to tear my gaze off him. The throbbing grows intense. He is reaching?

?You go,? Obi-Wan replies, not looking at me. One quivering hand slips off his control and hovers in the air. He lifts it to his head to run an open palm over his shining skull, his symbol of mourning.

?Obi-Wan,? I say as sharply as I can, but it comes out more like a plea. ?You have to come in.?

?I will,? he whispers. The hand slides down and falls into his lap. He clenches it once, twice, before letting it fall still.

I pull my gaze away to look at where he is staring. There is a bridge covered in transparisteel leading off the platform. Threepio and I carried Anakin across it only a few days ago. At its end is the door into the Polis Massa space complex, solid steel but for a window cutout blazing the sickly white of the medcenter. There is no one waiting at the door for us.

?I will come in a moment,? he finally says. His voice is rough and raw, draining into itself. I look back at him. He has closed his eyes and suddenly stopped trembling. A touch of color is returning to his lips. I have seen Anakin do this more times than I can count, and so I try not to disturb him as I slip away. His meditation is all he has left to calm him. I need him calm.

I slip through the medcenter entryway, not bothering to shut the door behind myself as I run in. The hallway stretches long and bright before me, the unnatural white light broken in measured spaces by wide transparisteel windows opening to a haunting view of the asteroids in orbit around us. My hands start shaking. I feel the pain in my skin, shuddering in my ears, and yet he isn?t here.

?Anakin!? I scream. My voice echoes down the hallway and comes back to me, shaking, hollow. I follow it. My feet are numb. I let go of my mind. The pain swells in a cresting wave and courses down into the pit of my stomach. ?Anakin, please!?

It is like fingernails in my skull as I follow it. I turn a corner to the surgical complexes, where the droids had tried to perform skin grafts. He isn?t here. Sweat begins to collect around my mouth.

[i]Padmé?[/i]

He is there before I realize it, a tangle of armored false legs and arms crumpled in one of the suite doorways, on his side and heaving. I fall to my knees and grip him by both shoulders. He isn?t wearing his full helmet. He tries to lift his head for me, but he can?t. He is heavy and limp as I drag him onto his back and pull him into my lap.

?You came back for me,? he gasps. The sticky redness of the skin stretched taut over his skull rolls to face me. ?You came back. You came back... I didn?t think??

?Anakin, what happened?? I breathe out. His eyelids are clenched tight over his eyes.

?Infection.? His voice is suddenly dead cold. ?Burns infected. Fever.?

My eyes are tearing across the suite. There are no droids. Where are the droids? Where did the droids go? There are overturned tables and surgical equipment strewn across the white floor. There is white and a cracked hallway window and a harsh light. Are there antibiotics? Where were the antibiotics? Where did I find the bacta? Where?

He is shaking in my a

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Oh dear I knew it was coming yet I didn't want to believe it:eek:
    Obi-Wan saved them all.:cool:

Poor Obi-Wan is dead but I somehow believe it was the right way to go in your story.;)

Lets hope Anakin appreciates Obi-Wans sacrifice.[face_shame_on_you]

=D=

6. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    [face_worried] Obi's dead? :_| But yay Ani coming to his senses and yay Luke and Leia being born! Great update!

=D=

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Obi-Wan is dead.. :_| But at least he gave his life for others and it was enough for Palpatine to be killed. Anakin has fulfulled his destiny but now there are no more Jedi and I don't know that Anakin could rebuild it. Love the byplay between Obi and Ani and how Obi was willing to help heal Anakin.

Great job.

8. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh... :_| Obi-wan came through, just as I knew he would. If only the price didn't have to be so high! :_| :_|

It seems Anakin has quite a road ahead of him - I wonder how he will handle Obi-wan's death... I have a feeling he may never be able to totally forgive himself. He has finally realized the truth, but his understanding came a bit late.

This was a beautiful chapter. I was reading along, literally perched on the edge of my seat, and the whole time I was like, "please don't let this chapter end... please don't let this chapter end..." I was so nervous for Anakin, Padme and Obi-wan. I don't think I could have made it through the holidays without knowing their fate! [face_blush] Yes, I've become attached to this story - why do you ask? :p

Your tales never fail to delight - or to bring tears to my eyes! You have a way of bringing these character to life - even more so than the movie screen.

Bee-yoo-ti-ful, my friend!

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    :_| My Obi-Wan! :_|

?He needs a healing trance, not bacta.? Obi-Wan?s voice is gravelly and cold behind us. I turn around to see him standing along the wall, arms stiff at his side, gray eyes staring with a strange fierceness at Anakin in my arms. ?He needs a healing trance, and the Force has denied him.? He slowly sinks to his knees on the floor and pulls himself to directly above Anakin?s face. ?Didn?t it??

Anakin?s roar comes from deep within him, rising up through his shaking chest. He is too weak to stand, so he tenses into a coil.

?Tell me why, Anakin,? Obi-Wan says. He reaches out and places his two hands gently on Anakin?s shoulders. ?Tell me why the Force has refused to heal you as I taught you, so very long ago.?

Anakin is shaking violently under Obi-Wan?s hands.

?I have betrayed it,? Anakin finally whispers through clenched, bloodless lips.

?You have betrayed more than just the Force,? Obi-Wan says evenly, his voice still and void. He clenches his hands tighter on Anakin?s shoulders, but Anakin doesn?t cry out. ?Why??

Anakin closes his eyes and tries to move his head away, but like a flash Obi-Wan places his hands on both of the seared cheeks and lifts him back to stare at him. A growl rumbles in Anakin?s scorched throat.

?Fear.?

I loved this exchange! :eek: =D=

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    You made me cry at work! :_| So noble, our Obi-Wan who died, and Padme who was willing to. More later when I have time.

11. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    HOLY SMOKE!

Anakin and Obi-Wan confrontation - Obi half dies healing him - Padmé gives birth to twns - Palpatine shows up and is killed - Obi-Wan DIES the rest of the way :eek: !!!!!

Let's see, have I forgotten anything?

WOW!

I think I need to go lie down... [face_hypnotized]

12. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    ?Tell me why, Anakin,? Obi-Wan says. He reaches out and places his two hands gently on Anakin?s shoulders. ?Tell me why the Force has refused to heal you as I taught you, so very long ago.?

?You have betrayed more than just the Force,? Obi-Wan says evenly, his voice still and void. He clenches his hands tighter on Anakin?s shoulders, but Anakin doesn?t cry out. ?Why??

Anakin closes his eyes and tries to move his head away, but like a flash Obi-Wan places his hands on both of the seared cheeks and lifts him back to stare at him. A growl rumbles in Anakin?s scorched throat.

?Fear.?

?And selfishness,? Obi-Wan whispers. ?You forgot your life in your terror, and you did not come to me with anything. You allowed yourself to be used in lies and you accepted them all. You were willing to choke your wife for them, willing to kill younglings, willing to kill me for a false promise of security. The galaxy and untold millions suffer for this.? His voice is still measured, cold even.

?You?? Anakin tries to hiss before his voice catches in his throat.

Obi-Wan stares for a moment, and then stretches out into a full kneel. He leans over, slowly, deeply, until his smooth forehead rests on top of Anakin?s charred one. He slides his hands to cradle all of Anakin?s head in both of his palms.

?I am sorry for striking you, and I am sorry for leaving you,? he breathes, so softly I can barely hear, so gently that I can feel it. ?And I am sorry that I had to.?

Wow! I am completely blown away by this passage. I had to re-read it several times to allow everything to sink in. You show very convincingly how Anakin has come around full circle from the moment his decent began. He finally understands how he has failed and has begun the process of redemption.

I absolutely loved the confrontation between Anakin, Obi-Wan and Palpatine, especially how Obi-Wan sacrificed himself for the good of everyone. Very intense and yet extremely moving. Definitely brought a tear to the eyes. I think you masterfully showed the love that Obi-Wan held for Anakin, despite all he had done. Very beautiful moment, indeed.

Luna, you keep outdoing yourself with each new post. Each time when I think you have hit the pinnacle of the story, you surprise me with another wonderful addition. Can't wait to read what you have in store for us with the next chapter. Great work!

13. Ascal_Elessar

Ascal_Elessar Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    :_|

That has to be one of the most moving pieces of writing that I've read since joining these boards. Amazing!=D=

14. Jedi_Maeyane

Jedi_Maeyane Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Wow. This is fantastic. So powerful!

Please PM me when you post again!

15. FitJedi

FitJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2006
    Absolutely spectacular- you're words are pure vision. You could feel all of the immense emotions just pouring from everyone. Obi-Wan gives his whole self to save Anakin, Padme and the twins. Excellent update, I can't wait for the next one.

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    If the test of a great story is how it grabs the reader - this was a great story. I could wring your neck for killing Obi-Wan, but it was probably the right thing to do, and he didn't give his life in vain. He did his duty, but he also did it for love and to save what was left.

He is shaking in my arms. His voice soothes back into Anakin again. ?Drugs don?t work,? he whispers. I look back down at him. The wet skin over his eyes has fluttered open, and I gasp. There is a living shine to his eyes again, a brightness that goes beyond fever. The yellow is bleeding away into a gray blue that threatens to stab my soul. There are tears. One of his fingers clenches around my shirt and pulls tight.

Suddenly I can feel a moan rising in my stomach that isn?t mine. I blink away the tears to see Anakin tensing, tilting his head back too far with his teeth bared in an animal grimace.

?He needs a healing trance, not bacta.? Obi-Wan?s voice is gravelly and cold behind us. I turn around to see him standing along the wall, arms stiff at his side, gray eyes staring with a strange fierceness at Anakin in my arms. ?He needs a healing trance, and the Force has denied him.? He slowly sinks to his knees on the floor and pulls himself to directly above Anakin?s face. ?Didn?t it??

Anakin?s roar comes from deep within him, rising up through his shaking chest. He is too weak to stand, so he tenses into a coil.

?Fear.?

?And selfishness,? Obi-Wan whispers. ?You forgot your life in your terror, and you did not come to me with anything. You allowed yourself to be used in lies and you accepted them all. You were willing to choke your wife for them, willing to kill younglings, willing to kill me for a false promise of security. The galaxy and untold millions suffer for this.? His voice is still measured, cold even.

?You?? Anakin tries to hiss before his voice catches in his throat.

Obi-Wan stares for a moment, and then stretches out into a full kneel. He leans over, slowly, deeply, until his smooth forehead rests on top of Anakin?s charred one. He slides his hands to cradle all of Anakin?s head in both of his palms.

?I am sorry for striking you, and I am sorry for leaving you,? he breathes, so softly I can barely hear, so gently that I can feel it. ?And I am sorry that I had to.?

The galaxy spins in my arms as I feel Anakin tremble. There is something between them, something I can?t hear and I can?t feel, something born of their silver bond that I have placed everything on. My breath is cold in my chest as I wait until finally I can feel Anakin relaxing, melting into my legs.

I am? sorry, Master. The depth of Anakin?s voice is such that suddenly I can feel it too. There is a seeping warmth across both of us until the pain subsides. I can see Anakin?s face becoming softer. Obi-Wan is healing him. He is sharing. It is not enough?it is so far from enough, from fixing everything, from making everything right? but it is a start.

Aw, here's where the meltdown starts. Despite everything - all his pain and his grief - Obi-Wan will help his padawan.

Your babies are safe, Padmé. I can hear Obi-Wan?s voice somewhere around me, somewhere in my mind. I am protecting your twins. I am protecting Anakin. Ta

17. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    My jaw is resting on my desk right now, oh wow Luna, that was scary yet so amazing.

?I know, Anakin." My womb clenches tight, but this time it is normal, not the tearing of death. I am in labor. ?My babies? your children are coming. Help me.?

?I don?t know?? Anakin slides to where I point. His armor scratches loudly against the floor. His eyes dart from my face to my legs and back again. ?What do I do, Padmé? What do I do??

See, even big and dangerous Sith Lords, well, have been Sith Lords anyway, can be scared when it comes to childbirths. But I?m glad that they all were okay. But Obi-Wan, I can?t believe that he would do that but I love the fact that he did.

18. HandmaidenVeme

HandmaidenVeme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Obi-wan made the ultimate sacrifice to save the ones he loves. It was sad and beautiful at the same time.

Wonderful update!!!

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, I love this story. Beautifully written! [:D]

20. CrazyAni

CrazyAni Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2006
    Oh my, what an update! :eek:

Honestly, I'm blown away by this chapter so much that I can't form anything. I can only repeat what everyone else has already said - beautiful, vivid writing and amazing portrayal of emotions.

As much as I hate to admit it, Obi-Wan died a hero, giving up his life to save everyone. From my point of view, he partly carries the blame for the situation they are in: maybe, he did fail as a Master, and his decision to dismember Anakin on Mustafar was wrong no matter how much he tries to justify it. I loved how he showed Anakin his mistakes, and I'm astonished how well Anakin took it - I expected much more anger.:p

Anakin has come the full circle: Padawan - Jedi Knight - Sith Lord - Jedi Knight again. I hate sounding like a broken record, but I love how fluently you've shown his transformation.

Padme as strong as ever. I think canon did her unjustice at the end of RotS...and so do I in all of my writing attempts. ;)

Can't wait for the next update! Take all the time you need for it - exams are much more important than writing. I know how you feel!

Wonderful work! =D= =D=

CrazyAni

21. Lady_Skywalker13

Lady_Skywalker13 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 27, 2006
    WOW!! What a crazy update! I can't believe that Obi did that!!

Great job!
    ~Tally

22. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Whoa! Ah! Obi-Wan! :eek: :_| But...but Anakin and Padme and twins are finally together as they were meant to be. :) You wove this chapter together beautifully, Luna! I'm absolutely astounded. The way Anakin laid on Padme's lap like a helpless child broke my heart and I love how you showed the return of 'Anakin' by describing his eyes. Obi-Wan's quiet accusations were perfect for the moment and exactly what Anakin needed to hear, as hard as that may have been. And the silent forgiveness between them was my favorite part of the chapter. As for Obi-Wan's death, though I wish it didn't have to happen, somehow I think, no matter the timeline, his life would inevitably end in a blaze of selfless glory. It's fitting of who he is. :)

I'm feeling very inarticulate right now, so I'm sorry if that paragraph didn't make much sense. This chapter blew my mind and I'm having trouble forming coherent thought. :p

By the way, I love your icon. ;) (Penguins!)

23. Amidala66

Amidala66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    What an update. Obi Wan saved them all and brought back Anakin.
    I can't even compliment you on how wonderful this was. I am speechless.

great job Luna

24. AnakinLuver

AnakinLuver Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2006
    Awesome.

Just awesome!

Rachel Rose@};-

25. ikarit

ikarit Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2006
    I can't stop crying! That was an amazing chapter. Powerful and beautiful and absolutely perfect. You're an incredibly writer. Indesputably incredible! Please, please, please PM me when you update. I have to read the next chapter when you post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.