main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tears and Rain: AU: Vader, Padme, Obi-Wan, completed 1/21

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Luna_Nightshade, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    ?You came back for me,? he gasps. The sticky redness of the skin stretched taut over his skull rolls to face me. ?You came back. You came back... I didn?t think??

?Anakin, what happened?? I breathe out. His eyelids are clenched tight over his eyes.

?Infection.? His voice is suddenly dead cold. ?Burns infected. Fever.?

My eyes are tearing across the suite. There are no droids. Where are the droids? Where did the droids go? There are overturned tables and surgical equipment strewn across the white floor. There is white and a cracked hallway window and a harsh light. Are there antibiotics? Where were the antibiotics? Where did I find the bacta? Where?

He is shaking in my arms. His voice soothes back into Anakin again. ?Drugs don?t work,? he whispers. I look back down at him. The wet skin over his eyes has fluttered open, and I gasp. There is a living shine to his eyes again, a brightness that goes beyond fever. The yellow is bleeding away into a gray blue that threatens to stab my soul. There are tears. One of his fingers clenches around my shirt and pulls tight.

Oh, my poor Anakin! :_| :_|

Great update Luna...I love your take on these characters and you've done what no other story here has-given me some respect back for Obi-Wan! Canon and fiction always had me really pissed at him but I'm glad he owned up to his part of it and showed Anakin back to the light. Totally great that the babies are OK and they are still together

@};- @};-

2. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Add me please to the update list

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

It's unfortunate Obi-Wan had to tie to save Padme, the twins and Anakin but how typical he would.

I loved how Anakin was able to accept and let go of the possiblilty of losing Padme and defeat Sidious (may he forever rot in the Sith afterlife)

Amazing update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    [:D]

this was intense and beautiful LuLu...

?I am sorry for striking you, and I am sorry for leaving you,? he breathes, so softly I can barely hear, so gently that I can feel it. ?And I am sorry that I had to.?

The galaxy spins in my arms as I feel Anakin tremble. There is something between them, something I can?t hear and I can?t feel, something born of their silver bond that I have placed everything on. My breath is cold in my chest as I wait until finally I can feel Anakin relaxing, melting into my legs.

What wonderful descriptions, even Obi-Wan's death ( :( ) had a peaceful acceptance about it. I thought Padme was going to die as well there for a moment...phew!

Perfect my friend...and happy hols to you! :D

5. randomangel22

randomangel22 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2006
    Oh my how action packed :eek:!!!

But how sad that Obi-Wan gave his life to save Padme and Anakin :_|.

And thank goodness Anakin realized that the Dark Side isn't the way to go ;)!!

6. Darth_Father-in-law

Darth_Father-in-law Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    I'm caught up now, and I must say you never cease to amaze me, Luna! The emotions in this story...Holy cow! You make me cry with every single sentence!

What should I say first...This is a very sad and angsty story, and I wish Palpy will burn in hell. Poor Obi-wan - I didn't excpect this! :_| And Anakin is so lost! Now even more, when Obi is dead. I hope he will understand totally what is right and what is wrong. And I hope people are not too harsh on him. Maybe Padmé will defend him - at least a little bit.

Well, the story is getting darker in some way, but I can see the light in the end of the tunnel. I'm not waiting for a happy ending, but that would be a nice surprise. ;)

Beautiful, heartbreaking and just...perfect update, Luna. Your making absolutely gorgeous work with this story.

7. LadyLunas

LadyLunas Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2005
    Wow . . . stunning. Beautiful. Overwhelming.

Obi-Wan's sacrifice was perfect. I'm convinced that the Light Side is love and the Dark Side is hate. Opposites, and Obi-Wan's decision was the epitome of the Light. Love at all costs, no matter how much it hurts.

Wonderful chapter.

8. jedi_princess18

jedi_princess18 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Wow. For some reason I was not expecting Obi-Wan to sacrifice himself :_| - but it was what had to be done.

I am looking forward to the next update. I hope they go easy on Anakin......

9. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    there has been so much excitement and action in each post so far and it seems that you always find more! i love it.

It is not enough?it is so far from enough, from fixing everything, from making everything right? but it is a start.

no, that definitely was far from enough...but i think Obi-Wan did show us "enough" at the end of the post. that was just bloody brilliant. no, it will not solve all of their problems but it's definitely enough to get started on solving those problems.

some may think of Obi-Wan's death as a tragedy, but i honestly think it turned out the best for each person involved. i can accept it. it was beautiful.

this was incredibly intense. your words had me imagining every little detail. gorgeous stuff.

wonderful work. and good luck with your exams.

10. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    Well I finally got back to continue reading and i;m glad i did. A beautiful story.

Ch. 5 ?
    I can?t say goodbye as I walk away. He doesn?t say it, either. He just closes his eyes.

After I enter hyperspace and plot my course for Alderaan, I close mine as well.

Padme seems much stronger here in dealing with Anakin than anything in canon?I like to see Padme as a much stronger character, who is not just blindly accepting Anakin, if you know what i mean.

Ch. 6
    ?You left him!? I cry. The end of the cord frays, spins in the wind, and I am untied. ?You tortured him! You destroyed his body and left him to die there, Obi-Wan. You left your padawan, my husband, your brother to die! How do I forgive that? Save him or kill him, but don?t abandon him! You coward!?

The wind brushes against me and rises up into a howl. Neither of us speak until my anger curls in my chest and settles there. I am suddenly sorry, and my tears no longer burn.

?I know,? he finally whispers. He turns to face me. His eyes are sunken to a hollow gray. ?I failed.?

Ahh, Obi-Wan's tragic mistake.

I close my eyes. I can hear the simplicity in Obi-Wan?s voice. He has done what I had done. He has simplified the galaxy, simplified the Force, to dark and light. It is easier that way, easier when you ignore the shadows and the past. Yet when I look in his eyes, I see how hard he is trying to convince himself of the absence of the other half. Seeing only their boundaries is all that has kept Obi-Wan here, but it has jailed him in his own pain. There has to be a different way?
    Whoa...

?He had faith in Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he wasn?t wrong,? I whisper back.

Before the sky falls dark on Alderaan, Obi-Wan and I exit its atmosphere to return to Anakin.

To try again.

At least things are right between these two.

Ch. 7
    Whoa that?s all I can say. The dialogue between Obi-Wan and Anakin was so intense and Obi-Wan dying to save them?i'm speechless. Obi-Wan?s actions seemed very appropriate and in character. What a beautiful chapter. It would seem that things between Padme and Anakin may be allright after all. Can't wait to see where this goes.

11. DarthSilious

DarthSilious Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 4, 2006
    Could I be added to the PM update list for this story please? [face_praying]

12. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    I would also like to be added to the PM list, if you could. I was immediatly captivated by your very poetic style, not to mention the heart-wrentching story. Well done! [face_laugh]

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

13. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    This is absolutely gorgeous. :eek: You write Padme so well, her mixture of anger, love and confusion. I love seeing everything from her perspective. The whole plot is believable and compelling. When Obi-Wan disappeared, what a shivery moment. Beautiful, affecting writing. =D= Can't wait for more.

14. jumpforjoy

jumpforjoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2006
    Wow, just found this story. I love how poignant it is, and how it's in first person. Please add me to the PM list!=D=

15. ROTSFan

Jul 25, 2006
    Merry Christmas and keeping the faith for an UP!

@};- [face_flag]

16. indigrl

indigrl Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2006
    My nose is runny,tears have fallen,I have gasped for breath and my heart has skipped quite a few beats. What a beautiful story you have built. You have a wonderful and limitless talent in writing.
    I would consider it an honor to be on the PM list for this story.

17. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I hope everyone had a splendid holiday season. I know that I had perhaps the busiest one I?ve ever had, truly?there were funerals, holiday celebrations, I got engaged, then I had a bit of a medical crisis that has since been resolved, and it all adds up to this final chapter taking a very, very long time. For that I apologize. Thank you all so much for your patience, and I hope that you enjoy this last chapter.

Gkilkenny: Yep, Obi-Wan saved them all. I thought he deserved to have that chance. I agree?somehow, I just don?t think Obi-Wan could have survived this, not knowing Obi-Wan. Thank you so much for reading!

Luminara_Kenobi: Yes? sadness for Obi-Wan, but at least some good did come out of it. Thank you so much for reading!

dianethx: Yes, at least Obi-Wan was able to make everything closer to the way it should be. For that, at least, I think he?d be happy. I don?t think Anakin can rebuild it? well, you?ll see what I think. *wink* Thank you so much, and thanks bunches for reading!

VA_Parky: You?re right?I don?t think Anakin will ever really be able to forgive himself for Obi-Wan?s death. I think that?s the one death that he won?t ever be able to ?forget.? Hehehe?I?m so glad you?re attached to this story, and I hope that you?re attached enough to come back! *wink* Thank you so very much?you always know just what to say to make me feel better about everything. Thank you so much, my friend.

VaderLVR64: Yes, many tears for Obi-Wan? I really didn?t like having to do that, but? well? *sigh* Thank you so much, and thanks so much for reading!

rocketscientist: Hehehehe, nope you haven?t forgotten anything. I?m so glad it appears that you enjoyed my little whirlwind there. Thank you so much for reading, my friend! Now, do you happen to be working on any artwork? Inquiring minds wish to know!

JediMasterRev: *blush* Thank you so very much. Yes, I?ve tried desperately to get Anakin to go full circle, even though I think that?s insanely hard since he had a really long way to go. I hope I came close. Thank you so much?I?m so glad that the love and not the anger came out, because that was a really hard little thing to figure out. *blush again* Thank you so very much. You amaze me with your replies, truly. I only hope to live up to your expectations with this last chapter. Thank you so very much, and thank you so much for reading.

Ascal_Elessar: *blush* Wow. Thank you so much?you have no idea how much that means to me. I?m so glad that you enjoyed it, and thank you for reading!

Jedi_Maeyane: Thanks! I?m glad its hitting a nerve. I?d be happy to pm you for this last chunk, and thank you so much for reading!

FitJedi: *blush* Thank you so very, very much. I?m so glad that the emotions worked. I always walk the fine line of going overboard. Thank you so very much, and thank you for reading!

Valairy_Scot: Thank you so very much for coming back to reply again?wow. I could wring my neck, too. *wink* It just felt like it was supposed to happen, no matter how I tried to avoid it. It just seemed unavoidable, knowing Obi-Wan. You?re so right?no matter what, Obi-Wan did try to help his padawan, even when he didn?t know what to do. *hug* I?m so sorry for making you cry, but I?m so glad that you enjoyed it that much, too. I know that doesn?t make sense. Thank you so much for reading, my friend! And hang on? I?m coming to your new story, gimme a little bit to finish this! Thank you so much for reading.

Star_Angel: Thank you so much?I?m so glad that you and your jaw enjoyed it! *wink* Hehehe?I agree, childbirth is scary! Even all the Darths would be scared if they had to do it. I think you summed it up perfectly?I didn?t want Obi-Wan to do that, but I?m glad he did. Thank you so much, and thank you so much for reading!

HandmaidenVeme: Yes?the ultimate sacrifice. The idea of Obi-Wan sacrificing himself still conjures up all kinds of images in my mind like that? Thank y

18. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Chapter Eight

[i]Tears of hope run down my skin,
    Tears for you that will not dry
    They magnify the one within
    Let the outside slowly die.

Oh, remember when it rained,
    I felt the ground and looked up high and called your name
    Oh, remember when it rained?
    In the water I remain?
    Running down?[/i] ?Remember When It Rained? by Josh Groban

[hr]

It may have been easy to forget at first, but with time the reality that Anakin and I had drawn into our very souls returned. We have both been shaped by our vows to the now-defunct Republic, and our decisions have rippled into lives we will never know. It would have been easier, I suppose, to have run away with Anakin after Palpatine?s death, taking Luke and Leia with us to any Outer Rim planet uninfluenced by either the war or the fledgling Empire. A part of me wishes that we would have.

However, the galaxy needed reformation and peace, but more importantly it needed closure. It was not enough to just remove the man who had orchestrated our slaughter and destruction since before I had even been elected Queen of Naboo. There needed to be something real to prove that the danger had passed and the recovery could begin in full. Anakin had been the galaxy?s physical proof of victory for three years, with his image plastered on the side of buildings and on the HoloNet as the face of the galaxy?s justice. This, it seemed, could not change. Anakin Skywalker, my returned husband and the father of my twins, would again be the face of justice?this time, however, justice for him and not for our enemies.

I had wanted this. I had wanted Anakin to face his crimes, to truly accept what he had done and begin to atone for them. Perhaps, when I rescued him from Mustafar, I had still held some ideals. Perhaps I still thought that in the end, good would triumph over everything through our deeds, and my husband could still make that nursery on Varykino for his children.

That was before Obi-Wan died.

No, not ?died.? Before Obi-Wan sacrificed himself, forcibly joined the Force before my eyes, committed holy suicide on a planet I dragged him to. It was good in the end, I suppose. Yet it was so much more than I could?can?bear. My children and I live because of him, and yet? The feeling of his life slipping through mine like the whisper of a Varykino breeze is heavy on my soul.

Forgiveness, even for me, is not without a price.

The evening of Obi-Wan?s funeral is one of a soft purple sunset, the deepening of the sky torn through with streaks of near-black clouds. In the chaos of the newborn Empire?s fall, I had assumed the only public duty I could accept anymore?that of the planning and preparation for Obi-Wan?s funeral. There was only one place I could imagine that could hold Obi-Wan?s memory without tarnishing it, the one place in this entire galaxy that Obi-Wan could have truly left his heart.

It has been more a decade since the last time I gazed out this window into this kind of an aching Naboo sunset. As I rest my fingertips on Qui-Gon?s? Obi-Wan?s? funeral pyre, I desperately wish that I could again wear the mask of the child queen. I need a place to hide my tears behind.

Behind me, the distinguished survivors of the Republic?s demise hush their breaths and wait for the final eulogy. While Obi-Wan?s public funeral on Naboo was a diplomatic spectacle of galactic healing and mourning?there was a grand mourning parade in the Naboo tradition of royalty, a week-long lying in state in the atrium of Theed Palace followed by memorial eulogies from Senate and Jedi survivors alike?this will be the quiet funeral that both Obi-Wan and the Jedi Order would have wanted.

To the side, the newly-elected Chancellor Bail Organa and his wife, Breha, hold my babies?the only representatives of the government Obi-Wan worked for so long to protect. Yet every Jedi survivor willing to slip out of anonymity surrounds the pyre. I do not know them all, but Master Yoda?s pained eyes from across the hall give me bravery to speak.

?To a man

19. FitJedi

FitJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2006
    Luna, my dear WOW that was so moving and powerful. Filled with such raw emotion that is overwhelming. Great job! Such a wonderful ending to a great story, sorry to see it end but you ended it like no other. I am absolutely floored by it.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, Luna, I have had tears running down my face this entire piece - I'm so moved I'm not sure I can write anything coherent.

This chapter is perhaps the best writing I've ever seen from you. It stands without parallel.

I had wanted this. I had wanted Anakin to face his crimes, to truly accept what he had done and begin to atone for them. Perhaps, when I rescued him from Mustafar, I had still held some ideals. Perhaps I still thought that in the end, good would triumph over everything through our deeds, and my husband could still make that nursery on Varykino for his children.

That was before Obi-Wan died.

No, not ?died.? Before Obi-Wan sacrificed himself, forcibly joined the Force before my eyes, committed holy suicide on a planet I dragged him to. It was good in the end, I suppose. Yet it was so much more than I could?can?bear. My children and I live because of him, and yet? The feeling of his life slipping through mine like the whisper of a Varykino breeze is heavy on my soul.

Forgiveness, even for me, is not without a price.

Absolutely haunting.

The evening of Obi-Wan?s funeral is one of a soft purple sunset, the deepening of the sky torn through with streaks of near-black clouds. In the chaos of the newborn Empire?s fall, I had assumed the only public duty I could accept anymore?that of the planning and preparation for Obi-Wan?s funeral. There was only one place I could imagine that could hold Obi-Wan?s memory without tarnishing it, the one place in this entire galaxy that Obi-Wan could have truly left his heart.

It has been more a decade since the last time I gazed out this window into this kind of an aching Naboo sunset. As I rest my fingertips on Qui-Gon?s? Obi-Wan?s? funeral pyre, I desperately wish that I could again wear the mask of the child queen. I need a place to hide my tears behind...

... Yet every Jedi survivor willing to slip out of anonymity surrounds the pyre. I do not know them all, but Master Yoda?s pained eyes from across the hall give me bravery to speak.

?To a man who deserved far more than we could give, and gave far more than we deserved,? I say, my voice barely more than a whisper, ?we offer our love. Rest in the Force.?

I touch with both palms the two padawan braids laid out on the cool pyre. In the moonlight, it is striking how Obi-Wan and Anakin?s hair color seems so similar.

?To an Order whose sacrifice will serve as a beacon to our futures, we offer our gratitude,? I finish. I move my fingertips to the smooth surfaces of two lightsabers between the braids. Neither will ever be held as weapons again. In the wearing of their hilts, I can feel both Anakin and Obi-Wan?s lives. ?Rest in the Force.?

:_| Truly moving, Luna.

I?d bring roses to Obi-Wan?s pyre every few weeks, even as memory faded and new galactic thoughts kept people away, even after all the people who felt his presence left me behind as well.

And then there was a rainy morning, a dark purple sunrise long after the children had left and my family had gone. The rain seemed to come from another world, pounding on the grass with the heaviness of water on parched sand. It was soothing as it came on like the crashing of windswept waves the day we left Varykino. I closed my eyes in my chair to let the rain pour over my skin until even the pain ran off like it was only dust, and there was no more.

I wasn?t alone?somewhere in the water I could feel Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon, and my parents, washing over me as we all waited for the last piece of ourselves to come home. We waited there in the quiet torrent until it finally was over.

His presence was a pulse over the rain. The shadows parted until he, too, had been washed clean in my eyes. He reached for my hand with warm skin.

Padmé?? My name came as a faint whisper through the din.

I met him there, in the Varykino downpour. When we were ready, he slipped his hand into mine.

Together, we finally walked out of the rain.

Beating softly against the waves
    Fell the sound of an early morning

21. indigrl

indigrl Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2006
    I never expected an ending like this never in a million years. Your characterization of Padme is by far my favorite. You held her to the highest esteem,conveyed her love for Anakin and had her wear the burdens of the choices she made, he made and the ones they made together with a quiet dignity and weighted heart like none other I have ever read.
    You once again left me an emtional wreck Ms. Nightshade, shame on you.;) Thank you for
    you lovely response and for adding me to you PM list for this story. I am sad to see it go. Please
    take a bow.=D=

Dani

22. ROTSFan

Jul 25, 2006
    Oh, God! :_| :_| :_| This post made my heart ache, it really did!

I never expected them to be separated and him to be tried for murder. It was so well written, as always, so imaginative and poignant. I guess Anakin took the most honorable way out, I'm just still sad he wasn't there to see his children grow up with Padme. Was he locked in a sad dark prison for his natural life or executed earlier? I have no idea how she got through it (I barely got through this post!)

At the end, were they finally joined in the Force? That was the way I interpreted it, I just wanted to make sure I got it right.

Let me know if you write again, Luna. I'd love to be on the PM list!

@};- @};-

23. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That was a brilliant ending, you tied it all together nicely.
    and they all meet in the force at the end.=D=

Well done and thanks for a wonderful story.[:D] :cool:

24. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh my word! That was one of the most gorgeous things I have ever read, Luna! Sweetie, you need to write a book! I know it would be a best seller! And you could go into partnership with a tissue company b/c you write angst like no other! BRAVO!

What a chapter! Things happened the way they were meant to and I loved the way Anakin came to terms with everything. I was a sniffling wreck the entire time, of course, but I enjoyed it so much I've read it about four or five times already. And I anticipate that number rising even higher! ;)

Oh, poor Anakin and Padme. What tragic heroes... yet in the end, even they were finally able to have their peace. BEAUTIFUL!

Congratulations on one of the most touching stories I have ever read. I loved it from start to finish - definitely a masterpiece. I wish my review was half as eloquent as your posts!! :p *standing ovation* You deserve it!

P.S. You got engaged?! Oh, I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!

25. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    That was such a heart-breaking ending!

Anakin being cut off from Padme and his childern and never granted parole....

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

Brutal - but I can understand why he chose that path.

How wonderful they were reunited in the afterlife.

Wonderful job on this - I really enjoyed the story from beginning to end.

=D= =D= =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.