main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Teaser #2 Discuss and Dissect

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Apr 16, 2015.

1. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I love Toy Story but it's not like that franchise had a lot of plot complications going on that needed to be resolved. Other than the fact that Andy grows up, the films are almost standalones, which I think works much better when you get to a 3rd movie. Yet even then you had complaints of rehashing (toys get lost again, secret evil villain toy who's bitter). The Bond franchise is also very standalone-ish.

Hell, even the greatest films of all time (Godfather I and II) had a total crap 3rd movie. I'm actually pretty thankful ROTJ turned out as well as it did.

2. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I think you are way off base here, the scenes at jabbas palace were much better before jedi rocks, the sarlacc pit sequence probably one of my favourite of the series, the death star attack was awesome and the confrontation with vader and the emperor. For me all 3 films compliment each other, its hard for me to pick a favourite tbh. I saw rotj in the cinema upon original release, it was my world back then.
    Im not a fan of some of the changes but i hate vaders nooo, jedi rocks and the han/jabba scene.
    The prequels.....what prequels?
    OG fan here and for me JJ/disney is knocking it out of the park! the 2 trailers look amazing for me and they seem to be doing everything right, the updated look is great very close to the original but different enough to seem new.

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's more projection on your part though than empirical issues. If one had never seen ROTJ before, Vader saying "no" would be entirely appropriate... even if it's ultimately redundant. Same with adding Hayden C's force ghost. The original version is available because I have it on both video and DVD... do you mean not available digitally? If so, yes I agree... they should make them all available in all formats. That way everyone is, mostly, happy.

I'd say that ROTJ makes TPM/AOTC look like The Empire Strikes Back if anything. NO film could make ROTJ look like Citizen Kane because 'Jedi' is too deeply flawed IMO. If you read around the production of the film, there's a very strong sense that those involved are bored and burnt out with Star Wars... I believe that transposes itself into virtually every shot and scene... apart from maybe the Emperor's scenes (and the big effect scenes)... and even then, many at the time thought Ian M's performance to be too pantomime like (it's hardly a nuanced performance).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    There must be so much cognitive dissonance going on to excuse all the crap in the PT yet ROTJ too flawed? lol okay.

Totally get why someone would dislike ROTJ and the PTs, since their flaws are more or less in the same vein, just magnified later on in TPM. But to hate ROTJ but excuse all the childish nonsense in the PT makes no sense.

T-R- likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm glad you like what you like... Others obviously do not.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Hey, a motto Prequel lovers should also adopt!

7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    ROTJ does have a sense of "going through the motions". I'd still say it was a very good movie, though not great. But at least its key emotional beats have some warmth to them--Hamill, unlike Ford, wasn't phoning it in, and so Luke's arc is very satisfying. OTOH, while McGregor and Neeson were pulling their weight on TPM and AOTC, Christensen, Portman and Lloyd couldn't pull off their key scenes, and they really needed to be the heart of those movies.

So while TPM and AOTC may seem more fresh regarding ideas (although TPM knocks off ROTJ for its climax and AOTC apes ESB quite a bit), they seem colder and less satisfying than ROTJ overall. I'd put both below ROTJ in terms of overall quality.

T-R- and Satipo like this.
  8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't hate ROTJ at all... I don't even hate the ewok films...

MODified: Removed completely unnecessary personal attack.

9. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    let me tell you from someone who has been there from the beginning, ROTJ may be one of the weakest of the ot trilogy but it is in no way a bad film, when the film originally dropped it was huge, all my friends were into it we bought all the toys and talked about it all the time.
    What exactly is 'deeply flawed' about it? the film has given me great pleasure from when i was 7/8yrs old up until my late 30's.
    I have the bluray saga set and i havent even bothered watching the prequel movies.
    The only thing that i can imagine people dont like about rotj is the ewoks, everything else about it just extends the starwars lore, theres so much in there from new ships to costumes, i still find the movie exhilarating after more viewings than i can remember, r2 shooting the saber out of his head and luke catching it gets me everytime, then luke catching the laser fire with his saber on jabbas cruiser, the saber bounces back with the force of the blast, just how it should be! love it.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  10. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I prefer ROTJ to ANH, there I said it.

11. Son_of_Rancor

Son_of_Rancor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2015
    Yes, Luke is my favourite thing about ROTJ. You totally believe that Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker, where as Han and Carrie look like actors on a set. I sometimes think Mark Hamill's portrayal of Luke throughout the trilogy is a bit underestimated.

JunoSynth, iluvkoalas, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Again you reduce any such debate to a base level. It's depressing really...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    ROTJ's flaws merits a thread in its own right... but I don't want to particularly burst anyone's bubble when it comes to the love for the film.

14. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    BTW, to those that mentioned that Chewie looked weird in Teaser #2. Look at VF cover. I think Chewie will look just fine in TFA.

[​IMG]

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the changes made to the OT, and which movies are better have nothing to do with TFA teaser number 2, let's get back on topic.

Cyreides and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  16. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I just got back from seeing Avengers: Age of Ultron; it didn't have the TFA Teaser 2 attached, or Batman Vs. Superman Teaser. I am p****d off! :mad:

Am I the only one who didn't get it?

17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    My screening of AOU had it, it was the last trailer in fact. It also had Pixels, Ant-Man, BvS, and some weird body-swapping movie with Ben Kingsley in it.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  18. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

apparently my Theater didn't get the memo. :mad:[face_sigh]

19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    My showing of Avengers had the trailer and the audience cheered both before and after it.

20. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I agree. Again! Quick, check to see if there's an invasion of avian swine.

But yeah, I really like the deleted scenes of Luke seeing the space battle, going to the hangout (but I thought it was Anchorhead?) and talking to Biggs about his covert plans to join the Rebellion. Brought the politics of the Galaxy down to earth, so to speak. I'd only cut the bit with the woman who oddly bullies/ ridicules Luke.

21. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars film of all six.

JunoSynth likes this.
  22. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Here in Singapore, the first teaser was shown instead. :eek: Good news was it was still awesome. ^:)^ The Kylo ren's saber lighted up and the Falcon rising out of the blue was just so impressive. Nothing like it!

MJ

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Is that Vanity Fair Magazine available in stores right now? If so I am picking It up tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003

Digital Preview Tomorrow. Full Digital 5/7 and newsstands 5/12

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  25. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    thanks my friend I will be picking up my copy on the 12, Has any one seen the Star Wars new trailer with the 2-D showings of AOU? I am seeing It tomorrow at 10:15 AM at my local regal ....