[TECH] Ad ware 9/3/04

Discussion in 'Communications' started by YodaKenobi, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Today I logged onto the JC and was completely bombarded with adware and popups and stuff being installed into my computer [face_worried] Did this happen to anyone else? Any chance of it stopping anytime soon? Please help me :_| I've been coming here for over a year and this has never happened before!
  2. OBIX1 Force Ghost

star 6
    You need to find an adware/spyware remover on the internet.You might be able to find one for free,I'm not sure.But if you find one of those it should get rid of 99% of the ads. :)
  3. zacparis VIP

star 7
  4. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    This is basically redundant but I'll leave it to the Comms mods to decide.

Typically, its not a problem with the JC, its a problem with your own PC. Most of us use good browsers and have sensible internet security to prevent contracting viruses/spyware/adaware.

Adaware SE and SpyBotS&D are reasonable, but the best way to remove nasties is by using HijackThis.
  5. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well YodaKenobi, a program I have been using which has helped me emmensely is, "BitDefender" ;) . It works like a charm here. I have not recieved one pop-up ad or any other known website affiliated advertisement :) .
  6. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I have a spyware blocker and I STILL get crap downloaded from IGN into my computer.
  7. PatttyB0123 RSA Latin America

Manager
    star 6
    "BitDefender" . It works like a charm here. I have not recieved one pop-up ad or any other known website affiliated advertisement where I can get find that program? I am tired with those ads :_| :(
  8. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    I tried STOPzilla and that seems to be working, but the banner that was causing me problems is the "Vegasclubs" one. It seems inappropriate for this site anyway since it says "don't click unless you're 21". Anyway, I've been on this site pretty much everyday since I joined and never had a single problem until yesterday when that banner came up and started loading Adware into my comp. The only popup I ever remember getting from the JC was that dumb survey one like a year ago :p
  9. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    PatttyB0123: "where I can get find that program? I am tired with those ads :_| :( "

Opps, sorry, I made a huge mistake. I am currently using "Bit Defender" as a Virus preventer. However, for pop-up ads I am using "NetZero's Pop-up Ad Blocker" ;) . So sorry!

Well, if the virus thingy interests you, for information regarding it, you can look here ;) . However, it's not free... :( it costs $28.95, and can be ordered through the link I provided above. Personally, it's an awesome program. One worth every cent :) .
  10. DerthNader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    the best way to remove nasties is by using HijackThis

Maybe if you have a doctorate...it's not appropriate for the rest of us. [face_plain]

It's easier to get rid of a stubborn adware by just wiping your hard drive and starting over, I imagine. I've looked at HijackThis, and I will NOT be able to do it. Only techies can figure that crap out.
  11. PatttyB0123 RSA Latin America

Manager
    star 6
    Thanks Strid its okay. Next time I go to the big city I am going to get that one. Right now I got one for free in the internet.

Somebody else was trying to get in my PC by internet. :(
  12. Lank_Pavail Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'd suggest downloading a basic firewall, then, Patty. You can get several for free. :)
  13. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    I've looked at HijackThis, and I will NOT be able to do it. Only techies can figure that crap out.

I realise that this software is a tricky one to use, but it is the only one that will absolutely remove crap from your machine.

There are tech forums dedicated to helping you use this software. Basically, you run the software to get a log report, then post the log on the tech forum, and someone tells you what needs removing.

Reformatting and restalling every month is good way, and keeps your system fresh and speedy. (also at times quicker than manually removing crap from your registry).
  14. DarthMatter Force Ghost

star 3
    I haven't had any of these problems, and I'm using IE 5 as a main browser (don't ask). Though, as I mentioned in the banner thread, I use WebWasher, I also have IE tweaked out and I'm behind a network firewall. I would assume these problems you guys mention are coming through the ad-serving system, via DoubleClick or others, and not from IGN itself, but I could be wrong, since I haven't seen any of this...
  15. kenwastinger Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    HiJackThis is my favorite tool for fighting hijackers. It's really not that hard to learn, just spend a couple hours browsing the boards, and you'll pick up on what should be deleted.
  16. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    Me I use popup blocker from coffeecup.com. It works to I just put in the sites that I don't want the ads poping up on and they don't. So now I can go to those sites. :)
  17. DerthNader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's really not that hard to learn, just spend a couple hours browsing the boards, and you'll pick up on what should be deleted

I did, and all I wound up with was a massive headache...well, maybe it works for someone with at least average intelligence. That's not something I'll ever have, so I just have to settle for paying someone to wipe my hard drive. Ugh.
  18. Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    I had BIG problems with that stuff a few months ago. I tried the ad-aware, and spy bot and all that, and they get rid of the stuff, but they don't stop it from coming back. So I bit the bullet and re-formatted my PC, and bought the professional Norton Utilites, with a firewall and virus protection. Now I am completely free of that stuff, I mean COMPLETELY. It works awesome, and I don't have to do a thing.

HC
  19. DerthNader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    How effective is a firewall at blocking this stuff? Is it even useful for a computer that isn't hooked up to broadband? Because from what I've read, firewalls only seem to be effective if you have a cable or DSL connection. Do you get the same results with dial-up?
  20. DarthMatter Force Ghost

star 3
    DerthNader, dialup connections are every bit as exposing of the 65k+ ports of your computer as any other connection. The difference is you are generally connected for less time with a dialup, and so are less prone to attacks, certainly less than those of us with static IP, always on, broadband connections at home or work. You still need to be thinking about using some kind of firewall - either something like ZoneAlarm on your PC or a hardware level firewall for networked PC's. The No.1 vulnerability on the internet is using M$ Windows with no firewall protection, the connection doesn't really matter...
  21. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
  22. Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    A firewall is a MUST in today's world, IMO. I can't believe how many attacks it's blocked since I got one. The free zonealarm one isn't great, but it should help a lot if you can't afford to buy one. I paid $100 for my software, it's has a firewall, virus protection and removal and anti email spamming and it works GREAT. I can't say enough good things about it. Another tip is to clean out your cookies and temporary internet files folders very frequently. That's where most of the stuff gets in.

HC
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.