main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] Alright, these popups are getting REALLY annoying.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jedi_master_ousley, Jun 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Every single time I've seen someone start a thread complaining about popups while browsing the boards it has been a problem on the user's end, not on the board's end.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I've still been getting them between the hours of 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. board time while using IE. They come up with almost every page, it seems. I've ran 3 spyware removal programs, deleted all temp files, all cookies, etc. Still they come.

However, I did download Firefox the other day. I had been putting it off because I used to have Firebird and it would freeze up a lot ... but so far Firefox has been working quite well, and no popups with it.

3. Darth-Bradius

Darth-Bradius Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 20, 2004
    i have never had a pop-up before or after i got google toolbar

4. Semblance

Semblance Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2003
    Every single time I've seen someone start a thread complaining about popups while browsing the boards it has been a problem on the user's end, not on the board's end.

Then you need to learn more. At least one of the previous popups was caused by an advertisement that opened a popup on a mouseover. It was definitely on "the board's end" and it got around many popup blockers.

All popups are not created equal. The technology keeps changing and not all forms of ad-blocking and popup-blocking are effective.

5. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    I'm using Mozilla and I haven't gotten any popups anywhere since I started using it... I have noticed occasional popups when I use other browsers, though.

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I use IE at college and Firefox at home ... no popups either way.

Then again, the college network has everything blocked, including the adservers, so that's probably it.

7. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    Have IGN get rid of the questionmarket.com ads. I think they are the cause of the popup.

[image=http://img39.exs.cx/img39/4530/qm2.gif]

Ad Aware and Spybot don't find anything on my computer and Norton Anti-Virus doesn't find anything either.

And here is another forum complaining about popups from ads from this company:

http://www.freakingnews.com/stories/thread.asp?cid=5&eid=5086

8. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    I run the BT Yahoo! browser which is based on IE technolgy and have never had a pop-up on TF.N.

Surely if some people are experiencing problems with pop-ups whereas other aren't, it is caused by something other than TF.N or more correctly it isn't solely caused by TF.N.

[face_monkey]

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Still don't get any pop ups here. I use "Stop The Pop," to get the few that I do get, but I don't get that many in general here.

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I'm running AOL 9.0 (which is powered by Mozilla,IIRC),with popup blocker.And I also have Norton Internet Security,and there's no problem on my end.I rarely see any ads on TF.N at all.IE6 seems to cause alot more popups than other browser systems. :)

11. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Wow. I've NEVER had a popup in all the time I've been here.

12. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    I've NEVER had a popup in all the time I've been here.

Thank you for adding nothing to this thread. Why do so many people post in this thread just to say they don't get popups? I switch to firefox when that ad is rolling but it's not my preferred browser. The ad ran for about 30 minutes or so earlier today. When the ad isn't there, its popup won't be seen.

Does TF.N have an anti-popup ad policy or not?

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Why do so many people post in this thread just to say they don't get popups?

I think you'll find most people have also said what browser they are using, which can show if the particular browser type is part of the problem.

[face_monkey]

14. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I use Pusak its so aggresive I have to hold down the control key to open a new window but hey it works, I never did get any of those popups mentioned

shrugs

15. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Besides the survey one - the rest appear to be Adware on your machine. There are some new Adware out there that are almost impossible to get rid of, and they only give popups when you click a link in IE, in order to make it seem like the site has them.

Because I tried everything and was unable to remove it/stop it, I just eventually switched to FireFox. I know that's not an option for everyone, but it does solve the problem.

16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    All of the pics posted here appear to be served from known spyware apps. Problem is on your end, not on TFN's.

Get rid of Kazaa, and any other apps you use to download music and movies and run several spyware removal tools, hell, format your hard drive and start from scratch. And don't hit "yes" to every damned thing you see online.

And ditch IE!! Get something which isn't riddled with security holes.

17. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Hey it's Kyle...

Anyway, some spyware is persistent. If you do format, try switching to Mozilla or another browser from the get-go. You'll quickly get used to it (they all work mostly the same anyway) - and unless you install bad applications, you won't ever have any Spyware to remove.

Oh and Mozilla has teh gewgle search built in.

18. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I switched to Firefox today. I'm happy I did.

19. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Kazaa isnt a problem, I have Kazaa Lite K++ and no popups.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    There are ad-blocking programs. I've blocked 13,000 and more. =D=

21. Semblance

Nov 18, 2003
    *sigh*

The question is: "Does TF.N have an anti-popup ad policy or not?"

All of the pics posted here appear to be served from known spyware apps. Problem is on your end, not on TFN's.

Wrong. My computer is spyware free. The survey popup came from the ad.

And ditch IE!! Get something which isn't riddled with security holes.

Uh huh. On July 8th it was announced that Firefox 9.1 (and earlier) and Mozilla 1.7.0 (and earlier) allow the execution of arbitrary code on NT, 2000 and XP.

22. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Wrong. My computer is spyware free. The survey popup came from the ad.

You can't say that and know you are right because there could be new spyware out that is immune to everything you currently have.

You have to listen to what others have said here that they don't get pop-ups here ever. That shows it isn't to do with TFn, or the ads they display, otherwise *everyone* would be getting them.

If you want your system fixed go here follow the instructions, and do what they say. The software you need is called HijackThis and I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet.

Your question about TFn and spyware ads is moot because we don't control the ads we display.

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Spyware also comes in from "reputable" software from "reputable" busniesses. My spyware guests came from acquiring programs like InterActual to watch AOTC DVD, and installing a new mouse.

That new "hi tech" mouse had more annoying-class problems than a Hutt has morrts. These companies know exactly what they're doing. ;)

24. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Personally, as it stands, I no longer get Pop-ups. Not even in my main AOL services. I have an awesome pop-up blocker ;) . However, before, the pop-ups would only appear on my log-in page to the JC, and on occasion in other forums. But, not very often.

25. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Im runnine IE six, and have NEVER had a popup in TF.N

The closest I have had is an add attempting to DL an app (which the spybot S&D resident stopped)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.