main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] Can threads be nested here?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthMatter, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    (couldn't find this anywhere else)

Can this software nest thread posts in any way?

If any of you haven't experienced the joy that nesting is, compare a threaded forum like kuro5hin to the flat threading here. It makes quite a difference in the quality of conversations, as posters don't have to quote so much, people tend not to say the same things over and over, and people can follow different sub-conversations without trouble...

2. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    [TECH] Can threads be nested here?

ask raven or zerosleep .

3. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    My understanding is that they cannot.

I don't really like nesting anyway.

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    If any of you haven't experienced the joy that nesting is, compare a threaded forum like kuro5hin to the flat threading here.

Putting "nesting" and "joy" in the same sentence does not compute!

Anyhow, I think that most people either don?t like them or don?t care (this is the first such request I can recall seeing in four years here) and there are a lot of other features I?d rather have Zerosleep implement. So, that's a no.

5. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Thanks Raven - I'm glad I asked a fairly unique question :) I didn't really think the software would do it or that it would be "to do"-listed :D

I guess people like what they get used to using. I got used to using newsreaders on Usenet (before Google, before Deja), and with forums like K5 and Slash, and with WikiWebs, all of which strongly encourage the threaded, or "nested", approach. Threaded forums are very easy to scan when you're involved in different conversations, while flat is just annoying and repetitive.

Anway, it's no big deal, but you could consider in future to have this be a user option. The professional forums do it this way, so you can read them flat, nested, even partially nested. The main feature is that a particular message is a response to another particular message (rather than just tacked onto the end of a string of messages), which is a way of tracking replies to messages.

On the practical side, though, the performance of these forums isn't incredibly quick, I've noticed (ASP/M$SQL, is it? Tsk-tsk ;)), so more user options would drag things down a bit more. Still...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.