main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] The auto-censor

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark Lady Mara, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Well, if you believe Moby, we are all made of stars.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Edit:- testing...erm, not sure how that went. :confused:

Edit:- Excuse me, I just realise why there was a problem. [face_blush]

*mumbles something about not being a techno whiz* ;)

3. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    How much flexibility does the autocensor code allow? Can you do something like this:

Forbidden: ass; [insert various offensive variations here]
    Allowable: ass*; *ass; *ass*

This would allow words like "assassin," "lass," "assume," etc. to avoid the ban.

If there's no flexibility at all, I suggest that "cock" come out of the forbidden list entirely. As far as I know, "ass" is allowable, but if it's on the blocked list, I think it should come out too. There are way too many inoffensive words that contain those letters to make it worth it to star out the few offensive instances.

If you're dying to know how many, go to Onelook.com and try typing a "bad" word with asterisks on either side. For *cock*, you get about 800 results, including Alfred Hitchcock, cockatiel, cockeyed, etc.

For that matter, "cock" is inoffensive all by itself when used as a verb. You can cock your eyebrow, your weapon, or even your shoulder, but presumably you wouldn't want to **** them. Fanfics that contain phrases like, "Luke crouched beneath the outcropping, ready to **** his weapon at any moment," would not really improve the moral tenor of the forums.

It might be a good idea to run potential "blacklist" words through an online dictionary that allows wildcards before actually banning them. That would give a decent picture of the benefit-to-damage ratio of banning a particular word.

4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Dictionary based auto-censoring is no match for genuine moderation

A Script cannot tell context.

UKS

5. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Afraid I'll have to agree with what UK just said. o_O

6. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    The other very annoying word in the fan fiction section is cockpit. Do you realize how much that word gets said in that particular forum?

Although it is endlessly ammusing to see this: ****pit for some reason in the midst of a fic.

7. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Makes you wonder what those other 4 letters are, doesn't it? ;)

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I think that's a good one. No one on the JC should talk about Brad Pit

(yes, I know his name is Pitt, but...)

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Stackpole...
    "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Cut me a little slack - you can't expect all of us to be so serious over something that's going to start having Luke "'****ing' his weapon" in the Fanfic forum from now on.

10. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004
    Once again this is a bad idea? Why the hell do we need this thing? It is going to cause more trouble than what it's trying to fix.

11. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    I too would question why this "auto-censoring" was introduced. Has there been an epidemic of foul language recently? I don't tread into the JCC very much, but the ones I do read (the films, EU, and FanForce) don't seem to be out of hand at all. Why the sudden need for this kind of blunt instrument when the Mods seem to have things well under control?

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    It's something IGN wants, not necessarily something we need.

Dana

13. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I was only booing your crap joke and Moby, not necessarily you :p

14. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    If the sensor made it so that all bad words have to have spaces before and after the word, what happens when that word is the first word of the sentence? or if there's a comma after the word? Trying to figure out how the sensor works...

15. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Ah, a filter. This will be interesting/a pain/annoying/etc.

16. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Whatever IGN wants, we at the JC will be stuck with. Such is the boundary, and the price of nearly unlimited and free server space.

*hears the temple walls starting to crumble*

17. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I've asked the Mod Squad to put together a list of those words that we definitely want *'d out, that never appear as a part of another word. Like ****. Or ****.

18. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I must agree with the venerable UK Sullustian.

When I modded, I went thread by thread, page by page through the Senate and used Ctrl-F to search for profanity.

Then I actually moderated the threads. I didn't no fancy auto-censor.

19. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    [DantanaSkywalker]: "It's something IGN wants, not necessarily something we need."

Ah, thanks for clarifying I guess I'm a little out of touch with what's going on here. As a follow-up I'd like to ask if the character sequences that will be censored will be dictated completely by the mods here or will they be wholly or partially directed by IGN (or some other outside body)? Raven's previous post seems to imply that the mods will have at least some input, but I just want to be clear so I can direct my whining to the correct destination. :p

20. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Raven wrote: I've asked the Mod Squad to put together a list of those words that we definitely want *'d out, that never appear as a part of another word. Like ****. Or ****.

What about ha****oxicosis?

Okay, so that's not a word you hear every day. Having someone post about coming down with ha****toxicosis would still be pretty funny. though.

21. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Obviously there will be a few exceptions like the word posted above that got edited. But all in all, this will be a positive thing for the boards.

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Cos Da****. The original name of the Emperor will now be Cos Da****. The phrase "Cos Palpatine is Da****" will be destroyed. Tragic, but we must accept casualties.

23. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Just put straight out curse words on the list, and set it so it wont screw up things like Cockpit.

If someone bypass's the filter, then they have no excuse.

That way, it wont screw the users over (something IGN excells at) and the mods job wont change any, but will be somewhat easier since they'll know for sure that the person intended to break the rules, rather than 'just didnt know' (though admitidldly some mods prefer to just ban instantly, rather than talk to the user and make it a shorter ban if it was an accident or such.)

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    zerosleep posted somthing that looked a lot better. Cockpits seem safe and so does "And don't get cocky" :)

Cos Da**** is still lost with it, though :p

25. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    We can remember it with Cos Dash:t.

I still don't see an overriding need for this. Six years and counting have gone by without the need for a auto-censor/filter. Really, this may promote more profanity and bucking the system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.