main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] Vbulletin, phpbb, etc

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Almoni, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Also I haven't seen a single message board system out there that's as intuitive as Snowboards. The rest, as others have said, just look clumsy and ugly.

-P!-

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't like the design style of Vbulletin, phpbb, Invisionfree, etc. They just really annoy me. Snowboards (and their mirror discoboards) are by far the best. I post at some invisionfree boards and phpbb boards (no Vbulletin, I don't think), and I just don't like the layout nearly as well.

3. Almoni

Almoni Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2004
    Discoboards?

I searched for it and found some sites running "discoboards" which looked like the JC's snowboards, but I couldn't find a central site. What is this "discoboards" ?

Almoni

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Maybe I'm just accustomed to Snowboards, but I find it much better than phpbb, Vbulletin, and others.

5. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Cheap hack-job of the SnowBoards/IGNBoards code that adds in the useless features that people seem to think every board needs, but done so that a forum with less than 5% of the database size of this place runs about 10 times slower.

6. Hob

Hob Jedi Master star 3

Aug 10, 2003
    As much as I love phpBB, Snowboards works fine.

All we need now is to teach zerosleep how to write a usable search function and it would be perfect.

7. Captain_Sarcasm

Captain_Sarcasm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2003
    Those message boards are simply impractical for a community of this size.

Actually the Phpbb system is quite versatile. In my opinion it's more dependable, from a reliability standpoint, and can be changed to suit almost any application. Like Lord Tuvitor said, you can basically make a clone of TF.N but in the Phpbb format. You wouldn't even notice the difference if done right.

This may not be a 100% proven fact but I think the Phpbb system is more secure as well. I think if TF.N was running Phpbb instead of using IGN they'd have less hacks into their Modsquad. That's just an opinion though.

I definitely agree though. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't see the need to up and change unless it was extremely necessary. If the owners are happy with IGN that's probably good enough. You can do a lot more with Phpbb though whereas TF.N is limited to what IGN offers/does. That's the only drawback I see.

8. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Cheap hack-job of the SnowBoards/IGNBoards code that adds in the useless features that people seem to think every board needs, but done so that a forum with less than 5% of the database size of this place runs about 10 times slower.

Sounds about right. ;)

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    And that was me being nice too.

10. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    This may not be a 100% proven fact but I think the Phpbb system is more secure as well. I think if TF.N was running Phpbb instead of using IGN they'd have less hacks into their Modsquad.

It is 100% proven fact.

But it's much more entertaining this way.

11. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Of course, Dingo, we don't even run discoboards anymore. Someone got into the SQL and deleted the entire database. Sadly, we had to switch to phpbb, which, IMO, is even worse.

12. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Of course no other site would cut the ownership a check either. :eek:

Let's face it, snowboards is insecure. I wouldn't dare use a password I use in any other account I have.

I find phpbb with the right server to be the best because of the versability of it. Security? As long as you keep up to date and know someone who can test for any security gaps, it may be one of the most secure.

13. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Personally, as an owner of my own Invisionfree (IPB) Boards, I think that even the free stuff is better than here. First of all, it may not have the ability to create the user selection of colors, but it has preset colors that work just fine. Next, it has a users online list, file attachment, and the ability to allow some users to post with HTML, and Flash, if they know how. Imagine getting snazzy PM newsletters, made with HTML, etc. You can even, if you want, adapt it to look like snowboards, even with it's banner design as is, with a simple modification of the CSS, and board wrappers. That's just a few features, that also, other board systems such as PHPBB, and vBulletin. Although I am not forcing TF.N to switch, I am just stating my opinion, which is that Snowboards are not the best...

14. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Next, it has a users online list, file attachment, and the ability to allow some users to post with HTML, and Flash, if they know how. Imagine getting snazzy PM newsletters, made with HTML, etc. You can even, if you want, adapt it to look like snowboards, even with it's banner design as is, with a simple modification of the CSS, and board wrappers.

We have a users online list, and Managers and Above can post with HTML, although they don't do it in general use. Letting general users do it would cause mass chaos probably. We can change the CSS, header and footer as we please.

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.