main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] What is wrong with my PMs?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Guinastasia, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    It keeps telling me I have a new PM, but when I to to my private messages, there's nothing there. What's up?

2. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

send yourself a PM and it will go away :)

edit: usually :p

3. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    From the Comms Faq:

There is only a theory as to how and why this happens. Gandolf the Grey explains it this way.

"[E]ach profile has a message counter, which keeps track of private messages received. This counter is updated every time you actually look at a PM. If you receive a PM that is pruned by the server, the counter doesn?t change. So even though you have no messages waiting, the counter still says that you do, and you get the ?1 New? message. After you send yourself or get sent a new message, the counter checks your actual number of unread messages and updates to what it should be.

Why might it be set up like that? It means much smaller queries to the database. Since the number of PM?s you have is shown on every page of the boards. To perform a query to see how many unread PM?s you have would take a fair amount of time when you have 500 users online at a time all making the same queries."

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.