main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Technically, when Anakin cut off Mace Windu's hand, he did the right thing...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by fistofthedarklord, Nov 11, 2015.

1. fistofthedarklord

fistofthedarklord Jedi Master star 3

Feb 12, 2005
    Think about it. Mace Windu was about to violate the Jedi code and commit cold blooded murder (he even acknowledged Anakin's point about it not being the Jedi way). Thus Anakin was correct in disarming Mace Windu who was acting outside the law. Anakin had every reason to believe Palpatine as disarmed. He didn't intend to kill Mace. Obi Wan would have most likely also tried to talk Mace out of the murder, preferring to make sure that everything was done according to Jedi protocol. Anakin only became guilty when he allowed Palpatine to murder Mace without stopping him.

2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Anakin later said ''I need him!'' , therefor he only cut Mace's hand for his own personal interests not for the Jedi code.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'm not quite sure what part of "The Sith are evil" people don't quite grasp the concept of.

4. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
  5. Darth Philosophical

Darth Philosophical Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 8, 2015
  6. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Definitely not, Anakin was completely selfish when he attacked Mace, I highly doubt any other Jedi would've minded the big bad Sith being cut down.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah but, hypocrite much? What about Dooku? & the unarmed Tusken women & children?

More importantly how many midichlorians were in Mace's severed arm? Could someone who found the arm harvest the midis for their own nefarious purpose?

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I sometimes ironically joke as Anakin approaches Palpatine's office "here comes Anakin to save the day!"

In all seriousness though, I don't think any of the three characters were completely in the right during this confrontation.

Mace makes a mistake, leading Anakin to make a bigger one, giving Palpatine the opportunity to do the worst of the three.

9. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    100% agree. I said this all the time.
    Mace went clearly against the Jedi Codex.

The funny thing is if he were following the codex and did not attack Sidious it may all end up different in a better way for Mace.

10. Kururu

Kururu Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2007
    I completely agree. The irony of that scene is that everybody claims to be doing the right thing when they are in fact totally wrong, all of them. Anakin and Mace were acting out of fear of losing something (Padmé and the Republic respectively) and Palpatine took advantage of it to fool both of them.

11. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I wonder if Mace & Anakin could've taken Palpatine into custody & successfully locked him up.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I agree Anakin was selfish when he saved Palpatine. But he was also right when he said killing him is not the Jedi way. Windu got carried away and was not acting according to their ways. He defeated Palpatine, so that he was no longer a threat to him. He should have arrested him instead. At that point he would still have expected Anakin to help.
    This is a general problem I have with the PT. As early as TPM none of the Jedi except Qui-Gon really trust Anakin. And they keep bringing this up in the later movies. Yoda feels Anakin's pain when he kills the Tusken. They refuse to make him a master. Yoda knows the "shroud of the dark side" has fallen. They know there are Sith involved. They know Anakin in close to Palpatine. But none of them feels or suspects that there is a connection? Anakin suddenly earns Windu's trust when he reports Palpatine (at least Windu says so), within a few seconds, even though he never trusted him before all these years? There is no doubt in him left at all? He doesn't even get a little bit suspicious when Anakin so obviously is for keeping Palpatine alive? Did really none of them see this coming? Then what is so wise about the Jedi in the first place?

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When it comes to Force Lightning - there's no such thing as "no longer a threat" - Palpatine would have to be knocked out for any safe arresting to be done.

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the jedi's mission is to destroy the sith, not put them on trial. mace was right and he knew palps was feigning weakness. anakin didn't see palps kill everyone and go flipping around the room. we also know now that sidious carried two sabers so he had another one up his sleeve.

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    The last point in the movie that Anakin was correct in any way, was when he reported to Mace that the Emperor was a Sith.

That's it. The moment he disobeyed the order to stay in one place, he was stretching the bounds of correctness.

But heck, he had killed Tusken Raider younglings in the previous movie, so for me, CHAS (my name for Anakin - Course He's A Sith!) had already crossed the moral event horizon.

LOL.

And cool avatar.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    True, I had overlooked the Force lightning.
    In that case they should have done that earlier, when there were still the other Jedi with Windu. Instead he tells him he is "under arrest". So was he lying? Did he mean to kill him anyway?

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Palpatine was Supreme Chancellor of the Republic.

The arrest statement was made when he was still a mild-looking man sitting behind a desk.

Mace was forced to upgrade his response, once Palpatine took a Cagney-esque "You'll never take me alive, Copper!" stance, and killed three jedi.

18. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Would Obi-Wan be a cold-blooded killer when he "killed" Maul? No, I don't think Windu would've been disobeying the Jedi Code. I'm sure if Yoda was told that Palpatine was killed, he wouldn't care.

Anakin cut off Mace's arm for personal gain.

19. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

But the Jedi always felt there was something off about Anakin, even when he was a seemingly innocent boy. They thought his future was clouded (which is true). That his unheard of power coupled with emotional attachments would definitely mean trouble (and they're right, again). They take him in out of respect for Qui-Gon's wishes but they're still trying to raise him the usual way as if he'd joined as a toddler and never really adapt to the situation.

As for Mace, Anakin fulfilled his assignment in routing out the Sith Lord. So he gained some of Mace's trust. But not all of it, since Mace still wanted to sit him out.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    in rots, both yoda and obi go off to kill the two sith not shake hands.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    By ROTS, CHAS is beyond redemption, but in Episode II, I think the Jedi Order could have saved themselves and the galaxy a whole heap of trouble, if they had gotten his Mum out of slavery, so he did not have to worry about her.

22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    She was already free in EpII. That should have been done after he joined the Order.

23. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Right. She was free but Anakin didn't know that, he kept having nightmares. So the situation was in no way resolved from his point of view. The Jedi keep talking about the "chosen one" but are blind to his inner conflict. They keep warning of the dark side but didn't do much to prevent Anakin from choosing it.

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Neither were completely in the right, though I would say Anakin took his part to an extreme. Severing Mace's hand was hardly necessary when he could just have aimed to destroy his lightsaber, or even just block the strike

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

25. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Windu and Anakin were both wrong and not in the best state of mind when this confrontation happened. To bring in the ROTS novel into this, Windu just found out that the Republic, basically his love and pinnacle of civilization was revealed as nothing more than a barely held together puppet for a Sith Lord right under the Jedi's noses. He was 100% against the code when he went to kill Sidious instead of say, cutting off his arms or knocking him out instead.

That being said, Anakin was pleading for Sidious' survival just for his own selfish purposes. Windu, while also letting his feelings get the better of him, at least had a secondary objective of saving the galaxy, Anakin doesn't, not really. As others have said, if Anakin really valued the code, he would've blocked the saber and tried to reason with Mace instead but he didn't.