main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Techno Union army

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jangofett100, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangofett100

jangofett100 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    D'oh! Messed up my first post!

2. jangofett100

Mar 12, 2003
    Sorry- fluffed up that post. I've seen mentions of the Techno Union army instead of Federation and Commerce Guild armies in many sources such as the Holonet news for a while now. I've been wondering, what exactly is it made up of? Do they have their own dedicated security force with specialized droids, or is it made up droids taken from member corporations, such as Baktoid?

3. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    The Techno Union produces the B-2 battle droids, also known as super battle droids.

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

4. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    they had originally planned on better explaining which Separatist faction contributed which droids and vehicles to the droid army, but it all got blurred when AOTC actually came out. i think they have it broken down on the official site to a certain extent; under the entries for each droid or vehicle (or droid vehicle), it explains who brought it to the table.

still, though, every time i hear the phrase "Techno Union army" i keep picturing an advancing horde of DJs and candy ravers overwhelming their enemies with flashing strobes, phat beats, glow sticks and tabs of Ecstasy.

"We lost Master Yoda! his position was overwhelmed by the Techno Union and now he's stuck in one of their diabolical chill rooms, sucking on a pacifier and getting a massage!"

5. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    *LOL*!

Somehow I expected the Techno Unionists to be the GFFA's version of the Teamsters (imagine giant flying space trucks colliding with Republic warships, and Clonetroopers becoming roadkill)

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, from the EU section of the OS's Techno Union entry:

Many of the galaxy's most industrialized worlds are key members of the Techno Union. Factory planets like Fondor, Foundry, Mechis III, Telti, and Metalorn churn out cutting edge technology to a galaxy that has become increasingly reliant on innovations for day-to-day needs.

Respected corporations such as Baktoid Armor Workshop, Haor Chall Engineering, Republic Sienar Systems, Kuat Systems Engineering, TaggeCo, BlasTech Industries, and the Corellian Engineering Corporation are all signatories, to some degree, of the Techno Union.

To protect its intellectual properties and technological assets, the Techno Union had been given alarming freedom to maintain its own droid security as protection. Shipyards and research laboratories grew to house huge droid armies, which were eventually funneled to the Separatist cause during the Clone Wars.

Under Association, the OS lists the following in the Techno Union entry: battle droid, droideka (destroyer droid), Geonosis droid factory, super battle droid, and Wat Tambor. We should all know who Wat Tambor is in relation to the Techno Union. But considering what the above material says, it looks like the others are in someway still a part of the Techno Union.

This is what the EU section of the OS entry on the Geonosis droid factory has to say:

Baktoid Armor Workshop, a key technology developer in the Techo Union, maintained factories throughout the galaxy, though increasing legislation against their wares forced them to downsize their manufacturing program. Baktoid closed down factories throughout the Inner Rim and Colonies regions, including plants on Foundry, Ord Cestus, Telti, Balmorra and Ord Lithone.

In a calculated move, Baktoid moved their operations beyond the jurisdiction of the Republic, concentrating on Outer Rim plants like the ones on Geonosis. Baktoid officials explained the increased purchase of raw materials as investment in future diversification, but in actuality, they continued churning out the same combat automata free from the prying eyes of the Republic. Those few that investigated the matter ended up conveniently disappearing.

So since the Geonosians owned a Baktoid droid factory they were somehow directly or indirectly a part of the Techno Union.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The NEGVV doesn't specify any weaponry for the Techno Union's Hardcell starship. Either it's an omission, or the Hardcell really doesn't have any guns.

Inconceivable, considering their status in the war.

8. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    What was the Hardcell's role according the the NEGtVaV?

9. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I wonder if all of the Techno Union members joined the Separatist cause (represented, even by only a small splinter faction?

I've also heard rumors that the Techno Union had its army disbanded after the war, but was still going in the CSA and other places.

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Knight, it was just a transport ship for the TU natives, 220m long. It was also weaponless, which I find hard to believe.

11. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    I wonder if all of the Techno Union members joined the Separatist cause (represented, even by only a small splinter faction?

KDY was part of the Techno Union, but it strongly supported the Republic during the Clone Wars, and as a result enjoyed highly favored status under the Empire.

the Techno Union was basically an association of high-tech manufacturing corporations, some of which didn't follow the party line and instead joined the Republic or stayed neutral.

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    If it was a mere transport ship, then there was really no reason for it to be armed just because it exsisted during a time of war. Unless the source where it first appeared, if not the NEGtVaV, depicted it as armed, that is.

13. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    If it was a mere transport ship, then there was really no reason for it to be armed just because it exsisted during a time of war.

most transports in the GFFA are armed, in times of war or peace, simply to defend themselves against pirates and such. it's really odd for any ship in the GFFA to be unarmed, frankly.

14. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    most transports in the GFFA are armed, in times of war or peace, simply to defend themselves against pirates and such.

No, most of the transports we have encountered have been armed. And most of those seem to have been smuggler ships.

15. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    No, most of the transports we have encountered have been armed. And most of those seem to have been smuggler ships.

it's been really well established that virtually all ships come with some kind of weapons standard and that they're an utter necessity for any ship with intentions of travelling.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm going with the opinion that the entry simply omitted any weapons by mistake.

17. jangofett100

Mar 12, 2003
    So does the NEGVV actually say who built the other battle droids, like the Spider droids?
    And is Baktoid actually run by Geonosians? I used to think that they were just one isolated plant of little significance,but one of the older Insiders says that the Geonosians operate plants throught the rim. The cover for the Cestus Deception also shows Geonosian fighters, which makes me think that they also run the Ord Cestus foundries.

18. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Some source i read stated that both the Fed Core Ships and TU Hardcells were weaponless. Either NEGVV or else ICS of Ep II.

19. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    The Lucrehulk-class cores had something like 280 lasers aross its surface, so they're not without teeth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.