main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Technological progress in Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    TotJ isn't even too far removed from the OT in terms of look and feel. It could have been set one thousand, or even one hundred years before the films and it'd have probably worked. It still looks like space fantasy that was made in the late 70s/early 80s. Especially when you take the painted covers into consideration.

Just has more capes.

I mean, the Jedi Academy comics have the exact same aesthetic for the most part.

They only started to look "bizarrely" ancient when it came up against the PT's depiction of the Republic.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...I think I disagree! Particularly at the time of its release, none of this looks particularly like Star Wars, and there are indicators in the comics (weird looking droids, people using slugthrowers, blasters being HUGE, tying starships to ports with ropes like boats) that do a better job of creating a weird mish-mash ancient past than the KotOR media.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    On the other end of the technological spectrum, say, 20,00 years + the battle of Yavin, we have cyberpunk Star Wars. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I find it odd how SW moves from the strangely ancient look of TOTJ, to the OT-like appearance of KOTOR, to the advanced aesthetics of SWTOR, to the KOTORish Knight Errant, all the way to the once-again ancient appearance of JvS.

Spoiler for alot of images.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This one is too good. Lord of the Rings, much?
    [​IMG]

Gamiel and spicer like this.
  5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Styracosaurus/Oliphaunt creature wearing a Dino Riders-like weapon [face_love] How come this isn't canon yet?!? And why aren't we seeing more of this in SW?!? We desperately need more creatures.

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    That appears to be a creature created as a result of Sith alchemy. So I doubt they would ever make it canon.

7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I don't know the source of that image, but I agree that it probably represents a Sith-created creature. That being said, I do believe there is a solid chance of re-canonizing Sith alchemy, and along with that Sith-created monstrosities. We already have Sith and Dark Side magic in canon because of TCW.

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    As much as I love out there Legends stuff-oneness, the Vong, tionese war and so on those elements of the EU are to far removed from the feel of the OT-and casual fans wouldn't understand Sith Magic, or ancient conflicts or the Vong.

9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They won't use that in the movies and I wish they wouldn't. Honestly nothing from Legends should have been re-canonized.

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Uh, why?

You don't like ANYTHING from the new universe and hate when stuff is recanonized? Do you just hate anything which is involved in the new material whatsoever/

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sorry for the late response, if I'm not directly alerted I tend to forget I've posted anything at all.

We had backwater civilisations using bows and arrows in the OT, too. :p

It absolutely does a better job of looking like a different era than the KotOR media (games, anyway) because the games kinda just recreated the prequel era wholesale. But it's really not all that different to vanilla Star Wars c.RotJ until GAotS (which I always forget counts as TotJ and do think goes too far).

If we're talking TotJ:KotOR-DlotS-TSW, it's more the colouring techniques being employed than anything else. The "weird" ships aren't really that weird at all.

[​IMG]

They'd look right at home in the TotJ comics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DlotS even has "X-Wings".

[​IMG]

Well, one X-Wing.
    I can't say that I ever picked up on an abundance of slugthrowers. I probably just interpreted them as blasters.

Still, I'll concede that I overstated things. Ulic's trial and everything that surrounds it, in particular, stands out.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Oy, yes. Tommy Lee Edwards, who never read a description of something he was supposed to illustrate and didn't think, "hey, I can crib this from an existing image somewhere!"

SpecForce Trooper, spicer and Daneira like this.