main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Technology Advancement in the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Episode Swag, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    (First of all, I apologize for the big size of the pictures. I wanted to put them in spoiler tags, but I don't know how. Mod help maybe?)

Sure this is a galaxy filled with technology far ahead of our time. Yeah they've got laser guns, laser swords, starships capable of traveling faster than light, you name it. But I can't help but notice that if you look close enough, there are noticeable leaps in technology throughout the episodes if you look for them. The most obvious example is that of cyborgs and simple organ/limb replacements. Just take a look at our two favorite Skywalkers for example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They both receive replacements for their lost arms at different points in the saga. Anakin's is a much older model that looks very robotic and inefficient. At least when compared to Luke's new hand, which in of itself is virtually indistinguishable from the natural hand that he was born with.

Another comparison with cyborg technology could be seen with Grievous and Vader. Grievous, (while yes he was more gravely wounded than Vader arguably before his transformation) looks about 99% droid. Vader on the other hand has a clearly more organic look to him (at least in how he moves) when compared to Grievous. Heck, the Vader suit does a much better job at hiding the more robotic features of the man within than Grievous' exoskeleton does.

By the way things are going right now, it wouldn't be surprising if people are capable of making full on android-like cyborgs in the ST. Kind of like the character Data from Star Trek, or hell, the Borg. Plastic surgery has never been better (lol!)

Another thing to look at is the transformation of star ships in the series. I'm more talking about the fighters than the main line cruisers. In Episode 1, all the fighters we see are constructed with smooth angles and such. But in Episode 3 and beyond, the star fighters begin to take on a much more angular shape as opposed to their circularly predecessors. Perhaps in Episode 7 this trend will also continue?

Now I think perhaps that patterns could be found in what we have seen already. Patterns that we may be able to use to predict certain new things that we may see in the newer episodes. These were the few examples that I could think of at the moment, but hey there has to be more out there. What do you guys think?

2. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    It would be awesome to see the beginning of intergalactic travel. Starships with much faster speeds travelling to neighbouring galaxies encountering new worlds,new enemies and new allies. If not in the ST then episodes X-XII or any SW films set 1000 years after the ST.

Episode Swag likes this.
  3. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    With regard to the ship designs, I believe the smoother designs in EPI are just the Naboo style, nothing more. And the the only other ships we see are the Trade Federations. These don't really seem to be precursors for any of the OT ships.
    However, jump ahead to EPII and we start seeing the intitial stages of walkers and the startup of the Imperial Star Destroyer. When we reach EPIII, the new design of the Jedi Starfighter is a clear precursor to the TIE Fighters (more so DV TIE fighter) and the ARC-170 is the precursor to the X-Wing. The EPII Jedi Starfighter could be a precursor to the A-Wing? I'm not sure though. And we've seen a full evolution of TIE's in EPV and EPVI where we are introduced to TIE bombers and TIE Interceptors respectively.

I'm not sure how they could evolve these ships any further than has already been shown. I think we may have a couple of nods to previous ships, but other than that I think there will be just newer ships based on newer designs.

Episode Swag likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    There are quite a lot of already existing TIE designs that are rather interesting. Not saying that they should just copy paste some of those, but just pointing out there are ways to evolve the TIE design further. I know they're basically the same cockpit with different wing variations, but I think that even such a relatively small change leaves quite a different impression.

[​IMG]
    TIE Defender

[​IMG]
    TIE Avenger

[​IMG]
    TIE Phantom

[​IMG]
    TIE Droid

[​IMG]
    TIE Hunter

[​IMG]
    ...and the lesser known TIE Frank.

5. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    The Hellhammer : Yeah, I thought about those after I'd finished, but they're all EU and computer game evolutions aren't they? I suppose they could be in the films, but I don't think we'll see them TBH.

Although I think you've inadvertently discovered our new baddie :p

The Hellhammer likes this.
  6. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Haha, yeah, TIE Frank being the baddie is where my money's at :p

Nah, I don't think we'll see any of those particular designs. As I said, it's just to illustrate that even with the slightest of changes a decent evolution of an iconic design can be made. Especially since I think the reverse of the PT logic for technology should be used this time around - instead of in the last movie, we get familiar stuff and slight evolutions in the first one. In the second stuff begins to take a shape of it's own, while the third brings in completely new things.

StoneRiver likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Episode Swag : The pictures look fine to me as they are.

Episode Swag likes this.
  8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Honestly, GL has always said that the technology is as advanced as it can be since faster than light speed -- "hyperspace" -- has been achieved.

I wouldn't mind seeing variations on things we've already seen, ships weapons etc... but I can't think of any new technology right off the top of my head that would help the plot, except maybe for red matter. Hmmmm . . .

Boxster likes this.
  9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The only thing I'd like to avoid is virtual screens floating in the air. There's something very fake looking about an actor pushing phantom buttons in the air. Iron Man is a good example of what I'm talking about. Lots of virtual stuff all over. I want physical stuff!

Darth_Pevra and Echo-07 like this.
  10. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

Obi-Wan, the starmap data ball, Yoda and the Younglings.

11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Agreed! I want practical FX!

Disagree. I thought that scene was bee-U-tiful! It worked really well.

Boxster and JediGirl_Angelina like this.
  12. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    That was kind of different. I mean actual screens with buttons, etc. See Iron Man for reference.

13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Well, there was that one button that could do anything the plot required in the PT:
    [​IMG]

You reckon they'll homage this with more whatever-the-plot-needs buttons? ;)

14. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    The so-called Plot Device.

Echo-07, Sarge and vinsanity like this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, but the examples are wrong. The button is accidentally used for two different functions in AOTC; the use for a third function in ROTS was intentional, as an in-joke.

Vohnkar, EviL_eLF and Circular Logic like this.
  16. Episode Swag

Jan 9, 2013
    Woah seriously? In that case, this means that Lucas must have used certain differences in technology merely as visual metaphors. In a sense, you could say that Vader and Grievous' mechanical looks emphasize their inhumanity. Or rather, it lets the audience know visually that their evil nature is unnatural in a way.

Because let's face it, the Emperor could have easily replaced Vader's lost limbs and organs with cybernetic replacements that were indistinguishable from the ones Anakin was born with. (That is if we take Lucas' quote literally, then the kind of arm that Luke recieves in Episode 5 was available in Episode 3. Because heck, technology is as best as it'll ever get according to that quote.) So this tells us (or I guess, just me cause I overthink things) even more about the Emperor's intentions in salvaging Vader's crispy remains.

He gave Vader a suit that was meant to be intimidating, rather than giving him the best body replacements available. He totally could of made him just as he was before, seeing as he had all the power in the universe at the time. But nope, he would rather let his apprentice rot away in a helmet just so he could be a little bit more scary in combat and negotiations.

Wow Palpatine is a douche.

Darth Raiden, Immortiss and Echo-07 like this.
  17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, your analysis is correct. That is what Vader meant when he said, "It is too late for me young Skywalker. I am more machine than man."

Lucas was definitely making a commentary about technology and trans-humanism. We can use machines to replace humanity, IE the Bionic Man. But at what point do we stop to ask if we should?

BigAl6ft6 and Episode Swag like this.
  18. Episode Swag

Jan 9, 2013
    Ah I see! In that case I think my interpretation about technology and everything was probably off. Lucas was just trying to tell us things visually at a glance then, just like with the red lightsabers are used by bad kinds kind of thing.

Thanks Echo! Learning nerdy things like this is a big part of why forums are awesome! Still, it's fun to speculate on things.

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    No, I think you're right in your interpretation. Palps used the technology as a leash on Vader. Kept him reliant on the technology.

20. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    With all of these so-called advances you would think we would have seen a toilet or two by now.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's called a 'fresher', thank you very much...

-Jedi Joe- and Circular Logic like this.
  22. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    I thought Vader's hyperbaric chamber WAS a toilet

Boxster likes this.
  23. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Last time I checked the poor chap was having trouble using toilets...

[​IMG]

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    NO CAPES!!!

25. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I am think I will see anything that will be faster than Hyperspace. However, I do see new lightsaber colors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.