main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Technology and Stuff] The Tech Help Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quixotic-Sith, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I did a quick search and nothing popped up, so maybe it's time for a new technical help thread.

Here's what's currently baffling me:

How is it possible for my laptop battery (which I bought last week) to be *draining* when it is plugged in and indicates that it is *charging* (the replacement battery is the identical model that came with my laptop)? The laptop itself is older than dirt (Gateway, bought in 2004/5), and I replaced the power supply (currently using a Targus APA01) in 2009.

Do I need a new power supply? This laptop only needs to last through the end of the academic year (May of 2013).

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Does the power cord fit into the computer alright, or does it seem loose when it's plugged in?

3. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm suspecting the power cord - it fits, but after talking with the resident campus Alpha Geek, there's the question of whether there is sufficient amperage coming from the power source (the entire cord/box/cord unit). Since the replacement is nearly four years old (and may be fluctuating, since there have been times when it is hot to the touch), my first inclination is to replace it. Related to this, I pulled the battery and tried to run the laptop only using AC power, and it died after a few seconds.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, definitely sounds like a power cord problem, which shouldn't be that expensive, maybe $40. Probably the "box" was damaged, either by overheating or just banging it around, or the actual wires themselves got frayed (that happened to me). You might want to invest in buying yourself a laptop cooler for Christmas too, if you haven't already.

5. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    JCC,

I need to make my laptop region free. Please assist.

6. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    You mean the DVD drive? You'd have to flash the firmware of the DVD drive.

7. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    yeah, i'm a little concerned about that since i'm not particuarly technical minded.

8. Bender666

Oct 30, 2012
    You would have to find a region free firmware for your drive. What's the brand\model?

9. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    actually i think i may have found a way around it. thanks though!

10. Bender666

Oct 30, 2012
    No problem.

11. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Has anyone used Adobe indesign? Just heard how it helps with book formatting today.

I see a bunch of Adobe stuff I'd use like the illustrator, final cut pro, etc is in a bundle. Just wish I could select what I want without all the other stuff. But does anyone use all this stuff? I'm sure it's worth it, but just trying to understand it all

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    For real Arlon.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think it's best for book formatting

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I use InDesign almost daily at work. It's excellent for graphic design and editing newspapers and the like, so I suppose it could be used to format books, but there are probably better, and cheaper, alternatives out there.

And Final Cut is an Apple product, not Adobe. You're thinking of Premiere Pro.

15. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Huh. Thought it was adobe, but that's fine.

I've been seeing stuff on affinity. No subscription thing, just a one time purchase, which is something I'd prefer