main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG Technology Of October - Super Star Destroyer

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by bobafett81, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobafett81

bobafett81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    I've added a new section for October - Technology Of the Month!

This month, we shall discuss the BIGGEST Star Destroyer EVER - The Super Star Destroyer!

It's one of those scenes which still haunts me... a shadow casting over the already huge Star Destroyers in EMPIRE!

Really horrifying!!!

2. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    A bit of info from official site:

The Super Star Destroyer is one of the largest, most powerful Imperial vessels ever created. It follows the same basic dagger-shaped design of the Imperial-class Star Destroyers, but magnified to much larger scale. A smooth hull presents an arrowhead shaped profiled when viewed from above. Resting in the center of this hull is an "island" of habitable volume. Weapons emplacements bristle on the layered city-like surface. The trapezoidal command tower stands near the aft end of this island, capped with two geodesic communication and deflection domes. The underside is a busy network of engineering and superstructure. Thirteen colossal engine thrusters glow blood red as they push the immense craft through space.

Though there are several command ships, the most distinguished of the Super Star Destroyers is Lord Vader's flagship, the Executor. This vessel led the Imperial Death Squadron after the Battle of Yavin. It also served as the command ship at the Battle of Endor.

At that critical engagement, its officer, Admiral Piett, was tasked with preventing Alliance warships from escaping the battle. He did not expect the unorthodox Alliance strategy of engaging the Imperial Fleet at point-blank range. The Executor was a prime target for repeated barrages from Alliance vessels. Eventually, the Rebel ships were able to penetrate its powerful bridge shields. A wayward A-wing starfighter, crippled and out of control, spun directly into the Executor's bridge. Its control systems destroyed, the Executor was embraced by the second Death Star's gravity well, and the two collided in a colossal explosion that destroyed the flagship.

3. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    The Executor was the first of a new generation of immense warships, a Super-class Star Destroyer. Constructed in secret at the starship yards of Fondor, the Executor was a crowning achievement for both the Imperial Navy and Kuat Drive Yards. During the construction phase of its existence, the whole operation was under the command of Admiral Griff.

The Executor's maiden voyage was both a military mission and a political one. It was a demonstration to the Rebellion and the galaxy that the Alliance's success over the Death Star was pure chance. This new weapon, of which there would be many, would be unstoppable. Once leaving dry-dock at Fondor, the Executor destroyed the Rebel outpost at Laakteen Depot.

The warship then set forth to Yavin 4, where the Rebels were in the midst of a rushed evacuation. The use of rare power gems allowed several Rebel ships to penetrate the Executor's shields and momentarily cripple the craft. During the mass exodus of Yavin to Hoth, Admiral Griff miscalculated his task force's hyperspace jump, bringing the three Destroyers out on top of the Executor. The angle and shielding was sufficient to protect the Super Star Destroyer, but the other three vessels were annihilated.

The surface of the Executor was dotted with all sorts of weaponry. Its front arc was covered by 200 heavy and light turbolaser batteries, 50 concussion missile launchers, 100 ion cannons, and 20 tractor beam projectors. Its side arcs each boasted coverage by 75 light turbolaser batteries and 50 heavy turbolaser batteries, as well as 75 missile tubes, 50 ion cannons and 10 tractor beam projectors. The rear arc, traditionally the least defended area of a vessel, had an impressive weapons array of 50 heavy turbolaser batteries, 50 missile tubes, and 50 ion cannons.

4. bobafett81

Nov 12, 2001
    NO ONE likes Super Star Destroyer meh?????

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I see that you'd been very bored lately . . . *roll eyes*

6. BenK

BenK Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 26, 2002
    Of course we like Super Star Destroyer. But I think the hottest ships nowadays are the Jedi Starfighers and those smaller Republic ships that look like Star Destroyers but are much smaller... probably the pre-cursor to the actual Star Destroyer. I don't think we'll get to see a Super Star Destroyer in Ep III, but hopefully, we'll get to see at least a normal Star Destroyer.

7. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    This is all good information save for the instuctions on how I can get my hands on one of those babies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.