main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Teen Obi-Wan's Misadventures In The Military/Anniversary Reissue/Spellchecked and Everything!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jodiwent, Feb 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Well as spellchecked a possible. LOL
    The first time Obi-wan Kenobi met Bail Organa of Alderaan, he was seventeen years of age. He had been the padawan of Qui-Gon Jinn for four years. At that time Master Jinn got an idea in his head, that he felt could not let pass. He insisted that his apprentice go to the flight training center at the Republic's military academy. Jedi just didn't do that. Qui-Gon had to argue with the council to allow it.

"He already knows how to fly." Master Windu said. "What would be the point?"

Qui-Gon some how convinced them with the argument that it wasn't about the flight or tech training, it was about getting to know the young men and women who would one day be the leaders of the Republic. As Qui-Gon's apprentice one day Kenobi would take his place and work closely with the Senate and the Supreme Chancellor. In his meditations Master Jinn saw a time when his padawan was grown, and would have to work together with these people in a time when the republic would face an unknown crisis. Master Yoda searched the force, he too felt a faint ripple that in years to come a great crisis would engulf the Republic. He was not convinced this was the way to deal with it.

"These people." Master Yoda said. "Influence Obi-Wan they will."

"I hope," Master Jinn answered "Obi-Wan will influence them."

"A few lessons the young one will learn." Yoda chuckled, sensing the challenge it would be. He asked the others to make an exception and allow Obi-Wan to take the training. Even if it didn't help it couldn't hurt.

"What do the commanders at the academy think about it?" Master Windu sensibly asked. "Will they allow it?"

"I've spoken to Commander Vannis." Qui-Gon said, indicating he thought it a forgone conclusion that they would go along with him. "He understands that as a Jedi, Obi-Wan can not be in the civil military, and that I want him to have the experience. The commander will allow it this time."

"So you feel that your padawan, " another questioned. "is ready for such an experience ?"

"I believe so." Qui-Gon said in his typical confidence. The council reluctantly agreed.

When Qui-Gon Jinn told Obi-Wan Kenobi of his plan, the younger jedi wanted to protest, but he could see how much it was what his master wanted. He already knew how to fly. He sensed there was some thing else behind the scheme.

"The training will last around ten months." The master told his padawan. "You'll find out what you need to know, when you go there."

"What about our missions?"

"I've arranged that my duties will keep me at the temple, or at the senate." Then Obi-Wan knew how much Qui-Gon wanted him to do this. They were never home on Coruscant for more that a week, it seemed. "You'll need to go over there and find out what will be required of you, and when your classes will be." His Master handed Obi-Wan an information card that he was to take to the induction center at the academy.

"Now?"

"Now... Go, go, go." Qui-Gon laughed as he shooed his padawan off.

The Republic's military academy was far from the jedi temple. The young jedi took an air taxi to get there. It was a crowded place. Most people were in the various uniforms of the different branches. Some wore civilian clothes and carried baggage. Obi-Wan in his robes stuck out, but most paid him no heed. He went to a terminal and entered the information card Qui-Gon had given him.

"You cadet," the terminal spoke. "Are to report to the induction center, here." A map appeared on the screen flashing the indicated place. Kenobi took back the card and made his way to the location on the map. When he went into the room he saw a large group of others in civilian dress waiting. He joined them. Every once and a while a non-com officer would come in and shout out : "Flight group A" or "Tech group C" "This way."

Obi-Wan looked at his card, it had his name and indicated flight group B. Many of the people waiting seemed to be in groups already. Friends from the same planets who had signed up together,

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    YAY!!! a repost!!!

3. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Up!

Thanks Jodi!

4. Glad is June

Glad is June Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2000
    Glad to see you reposting this.

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Glad to see it back! I love this story, and the "new and improved" version looks great!

6. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Early in the morning the cadets awoke to the lights going on and off repeatedly. It was Lt. Spears.

"Wake up Gentlemen." He yelled out. "You have one hour to get yourselves down to the obstacle course. If you don't embarrass yourselves there the second half of the day you will be going to hanger B, to see what you think you know about flying."

Some of the cadets were eager and quickly dressed and went again to the dining area. Antilles was one of these. Others were taking their time, anxious, going over the flight manuals again.

Obi-Wan was awake but didn't get up right away. He was rarely late for anything, but didn't rush either. A half an hour later he got up, dressed, and repeated the ritual of the unifying circle.

Instead of rushing off he once again knelt and meditated for a few minutes. Before he opened his eyes he knew that most of the others were gone. He knew some one was close by, but was surprised when he opened them to see Wardeen staring at him.

"Is all that praying suppose to impress us?" The Alderaanian asked with a steady gaze. "You don't belong here jedi."

"You're entitled to your opinion." Was Obi-Wan's reply. He wouldn't be drawn into a fight. He had out grown that. "By the way it's not praying. It's meditating. Maybe tonight I'll show you praying." He laughed to himself.

"Cocky aren't you. Underneath all that polite shyness." Wardeen sneered "Listen, this flight has a long tradition. It takes connections to get here."

"I didn't know I was so well connected."

"It doesn't need someone like you slumming around those 'techs' either."

"Those techs are the people who are going to be responsible for seeing to it that your craft doesn't loose and engine."

"You shouldn't be seen with them."

"You should honor their work."

"Their work has nothing to do with sitting with them, you shouldn't..."

"Listen friend." It was a jedi warning. "Don't tell me who I should or shouldn't talk to, shouldn't sit with, or should be seen with. You'll end up 'shoulding' all over yourself."

Obi-Wan departed. The N.C.O. at the door, who had returned to gather the slow pokes, tried to hold back a laugh. "Let's go, ten minutes left."

Wardeen could not believe his ears. How dare anyone speak to him like that. He'd show the jedi in the tests. No one but Antilles was faster than him, not even the prince. The jedi couldn't be all that everyone thought them to be. The conceited young man was in for a surprise.

The academy's obstacle course was on a ten mile balcony, on the top of one of the buildings. There were two five mile courses. Flight and tech group A were on one. Flight and tech group B would take the other. The support crew cadets were in a different kind of obstacle course, one for the brain. The other groups C and D were in ground classes, they'd be there later.

"The obstacle course needs no explanation." Flight Lt. Spears addressed the cadets. Now the whole flight Men and Women were present. "You'll go in groups of five. Line up according to your bunk numbers. You should not hold back anything. If you have extra skills you should us them." This was said more for the benefit of the non-human cadets, but skills are skills. "Cadets one to five on the line."

They lined up, the N.C.O. had a speed timer and yelled "GO!" The two human and three non-human beings made their way through the obstacle course. When they were a quarter of the way, the next group was sent. There was one mantis type being who practically flew over the obstacles. Some of the aliens could haul a**.

The group with Obi-Wan had the three Alderaanian men and a Gran. They lined up. Wardeen was just waiting to show up the jedi. When the N.C.O. said 'go' they were all very fast.

Antilles took the lead, with the Gran on his heals. Next was Obi-Wan and Organa. Dead last was Wardeen. When they reached the first wall the jedi surprised them all by not climbing it, but somersaulting completely over it. They couldn't believe it. It almost stopped them in their tracks for a second.

"Whoa!" a few of the spectat

7. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Good to see you repost this story, it is one of my favorites!!!!

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very cool Jodi! :cool:

This is one of my favorties too!

9. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    The day after tomorrow was the re-match between flight A and flight B. Flight B was preparing. They had been there for five days, and it had been that long since Obi-Wan had any solid food. More than one of the cadets noticed that the jedi was not looking as perky as he had five days ago. His uniform seemed to hang off of him a little, but they didn't know why.

Kenobi never gave any indication that anything was other than fine. He never complained or asked for anything. His friend Croe O'Daki was worrying about him, but respected the fact that Obi-Wan hadn't asked for help. It hadn't affected his flying so no one but the cousins seemed to realize what was going on.

Croe was talking to Dae underneath one of the fighters. "Do the math." He told his cousin. "Unless he got something from the temple he's broke."

"Let's see, he had eight credits five days ago." Dae thought out loud. The O'Daki cousins had been watching out for the jedi weather he knew it or not. "We've only seen hem eating, rather drinking, two times since the first night. That's four credits I think he bought something. Unless he spent it he's got two credits left." Part of Dae's interest was the curiosity of how long Obi-Wan could live on eight credits. If he could some how have bet on it he would have.

"My stomach hurts just thinking about it." Croe said. "Do you think he'll get the rest before..."

The conversation was cut short by the crew chief, who once again told them to get back to the ships they'd been working on.

The day was uneventfully. When it was over, Obi-Wan wanted to reserve his energy for the next day. Unlike the other days he did not practice his saber. He went directly to the barracks and lay down on his bunk.

"You don't look so good." Cadet Antilles told Obi-wan, as he was getting ready to go spend his free time having fun with the rest of his friends. "You gonna' be O.K. tomorrow?"

"Yes." was the only thing the jedi said.

In the dining area Antilles expressed his concern to Organa. "The jedi doesn't look so good. I hope he's not sick tomorrow."

Dae O'Daki happened to be passing by their over loaded table at the same time.

"It would be our luck." Ringe said. "As much as I hate to admit it, we need him."

"You there." Organa stopped Dae. "You're a friend of the jedi, will he be ready tomorrow?"

Dae embarrassed the prince of Alderaan by saying, "The 'jedi' has a name you know."

"Is he sick?" Ringe asked. "What's wrong with him."

"Nothing that some food won't cure." Dae started to walk away.

"What do you mean?" Saraash asked.

O'Daki turned around. "Not that any of you'd ever know about not eating. Starving tends to make you sick."

"Starving?" Organa questioned. "You mean he's fasting?"

"No." Dae said in an anoyed tone.

"Then why isn't he eating?" Wardeen asked.

"You are thick. No credits, no food. Get it?"

"What do you mean no credits." It then dawned on Organa. "Now I remember, the first day, he said he wasn't able to get his things from the temple."

"All I know is, we can't blow tomorrow." Wardeen said. "The jedi's going to blow it."

Organa and Antilles were looking at the table and both felt slightly self-conscious. Still Organa asked Dae. "You're his friends why didn't you help..."

"Listen pal." Dae puffed up. "We did once. Me and my cousins just have enough for us. Our family's given up a lot to send us here. Besides that Obi-Wan's never asked for anything."

"When do you think he ate last?" Antilles asked sympathetically. "I couldn't go a day without..."

"All I know is he had enough money for four of those protein drinks four days ago, I think he's had three."

"Three protein drinks? In four days?" Organa said in shock.

"Unless he's been munching the grass at the obstacle course." Dae said sarcastically, and went on his way.

Organa and Antilles looked at each other. The others went back to their dinners unaffected by Obi-Wan's situation, only thinking, "Stinks to be him." Organa and Antilles didn't sit back down. They took a tray and filled it with

10. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm still liking this!

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Me too Jane! :)

It's about time someone took notice of the fact that Obi wasn't eating!!!

12. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
  13. Glad is June

Glad is June Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2000
    Jodi are you still re-posting this?

14. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    Great story Jodi, just as good the second time. Please keep posting!

15. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    yes I am, sorry everyone I have been really busy at work. Was only home four hours the whole day yesterday.

Will be home early today and next part will be posted.

I am at work now and even if yous see my name on 'users on line' it just means the comp is still on. I am most likely off doing work.

16. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    As Obi-Wan walked through the halls of the temple, other jedi who didn't know him wondered what the young man in a republic uniform was doing wandering in the temple.

"Hello pilot." A knight who didn't realize it was a fellow jedi called after Obi-Wan. "Republic pilot please stop."

"What's may I inquire is your business here?" Another asked.

Kenobi turned and pulled out his braid that he had tied up behind the other ear to hide it at the academy.

"Oh, why are you dressed like that Padawan?"

"It's a long story. I must find my master, if you'll excuse me." They bowed and parted.

The uniform continued to be a point interest as Obi-Wan continued his search for Qui-Gon. A few times he heard his name whispered. He didn't stop for anyone. He could feel Master Jinn's presence and was zeroing in on it. He found Qui-Gon teaching a class of initiates on knowing where in the force an opponent could be located.

Qui-Gon was very focused on his students' force patterns that at first he didn't notice Obi-Wan's presence. It tugged at him and he looked up to see his padawan peeking through a window in the door of the training hall. He immediately knew all was not well, and Obi-Wan had to be awol.

"Excuse me children." He said going to the door. He joined Obi-Wan in the corridor. "Obi-Wan what are you doing here?"

"Master I..." Kenobi now felt awkward that he had left, but still felt he needed to talk to Qui-Gon. "I need to talk to you."

"You don't look so good." His master noted. "Are you ill?"

"No."

"You need to talk, so talk."

"I don't know what to say. My thoughts are in conflict."

Knowing how Obi-Wan could drag things out, Qui-Gon grew unusually inpatient. "Kneel." He commanded and knelt himself. Obi-Wan obeyed and knelt. "Relax and open your mind to me."

Obi-Wan projected his thoughts to Qui-Gon, and the Master was able to see what had transpired over the last week. He knew what weighed on his padawan's mind. Qui-Gon also saw that Obi-Wan had mostly done well, behaving as a jedi. He also felt Obi-Wan's frustration.

"Maybe I was to hasty." Qui-Gon conceded. "Maybe you still are too young." Obi-Wan's expression changed. "I just thought you were ready to handle it. You are reaching an age when you'll have to start dealing with life's problems on your own."

Qui-Gon knew how to turn his padawan's thoughts around, the stubborn young jedi now felt challenged. "Do you wish to quit?"

"Not really. I just needed to clear my head."

"Good, I don't want the funds it took to send you there wasted." It now dawned on Obi-Wan, some one had to pay his tuition at the academy. "You think this is one of my 'whims' as you call them?" Obi-Wan squirmed at Qui-Gon's rhetorical question. "It cost far too much to be a whim."

"I'm sorry master, I didn't realize." The young jedi apologized. "I will go back now."

"Wait, I was wrong as well." Qui-Gon admitted, "It was not wise of me to not see that you had what you needed when you left. I am sorry. Go, get what you need from your chambers. Then get something to eat. When I've finished with the little ones we will discuss the situations your facing."

"Yes master."

The two jedi stood and bowed. Obi-Wan did as he was told ad Qui-Gon went back to his teaching.

In his chambers Obi-Wan quickly grabbed his thirty credits and some food and energy capsules. He didn't like them but in a pinch they'd do. He went to his storage area and grabbed a few towels. He'd never been so grateful to have towels.

He knew Qui-Gon would be a while so he couldn't help just flopping down on his bed. He put on his music player, and watched his Verpine fighter models he still had flying just below the celling. There was no place like home.

Obi-wan thought about what had been going on in his life at the academy. How would a knight handle these situations? In a short time he could think of better ways to handle the problems. All except the one that had finally made him go awol. If he did what the instructors expected him to he would not be happy with himself. How coul

17. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    upsy...

18. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, such a long, satisfying post! Ahh! I loved the way Obi-Wan said,"I am not blind." And I had to giggle at the idea of the Jedi having such long betrothals that it was a wonder any Jedi got through them. Great as always, Jodiwent!

19. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    The Alderaanian women had put her up to it. She wouldn't back down now. 'It was a joke, a prank.' Ielese Torr convinced herself. Obi-Wan had rejected her. No matter what his reason was, it still riled her.

'Not good enough for a jedi.' She thought. That was not what he said, but that is what she heard. 'Shy huh? We'll see about that!'

The group of women cadets who were in on the prank snuck up to the shower where the unsuspecting jedi was. "Wait, stay by the door, so he can't sense too many approaching." Ielese told them. "I'll grab the clothes, and get him to chase me out here. Then you come in."

She went to do the deed. True to form, the jedi did sense the presence of some one, but figured it was one of the guys. He still felt cautious, and so turned just in time to see Ielese snatching his towel and cloak from the bench across the room.

"Hey! Lese!" Obi-Wan yelped in surprise. "Put that back!"

Ielese ran into the other section, behind the wall, and as expected he ran after her. The wet, buck naked young man slid into the area to find not only Ielese, but eight other young women cadets blocking the exit.

"Not bad Kenobi." Fu-Ahn said, as the others giggled.

The young jedi stood stunned like a dumb animal. Their presences had been masked by the others on the other side of the wall. The women figured because they had gotten to know Obi-Wan a little he'd take it as a joke. He'd make some sarcastic remark, maybe even strut a little. He had been so prideful at other times.

The reaction they got was anything but humorous. All the color drained from Obi-Wan's face. He was turning as white as his tunic usually was. He ran back behind the wall. Still thinking it was but a prank the women followed. "You can't get away that easily."

Obi-wan was actually trying to hide, but there was no where to hide. In his mind for a brief moment, it was not his comrades playing a joke. he was back in the Drahsil cell. They found him trying to hide in the corner.

"Wow he really is shy." Ringe commented. "We'll have to fix that." She signaled all to move in closer.

Obi-Wan let loose with a huge force push. "Get out of here!"

The pranksters now knocked to the floor were about to rush him again when Fu-Ahn realized some thing was wrong. "Wait." She recognized the panicked look in the young jedi's eyes. 'It's more than shy or embarrassed she thought. "Oh no." She felt truly sorry now.

Ielese at the same time realized the same thing. "All of you get out." She told them. "It's not funny anymore."

"What?" Ringe hadn't caught on. "Because the jedi is a woosie?"

"Let's go." Fu-anh insisted. "Leave them."

All but Ielese left.

"Here." She covered the scared young man with his cloak. "The Drahsil?" Obi-Wan shut his eyes tight, covered his face in his hood and sank to the floor. "I'm sorry, I never would have..." She sat next to him. "I didn't know."

Obi-Wan looked at her "Now they all will, won't they?"

"You won't get any grief from any spacer, we know better."

"I can't believe I freaked out."

"Who could blame you?"

"I'm a jedi, I'm suppose to be over it."

"Over it?" She stared at him in unbelief. "You jedi are hard people. Many a spacer has gone over the edge if they survive the Drahsil." She looked at his expression to see if she should add. "Most end up dead."

"If I had had a weapon then I'd be dead too."

"Don't talk like that." She spoke in a kind tone. She clasped his hand. "If you were dead, I wouldn't have a jedi as a friend. We can still be friends huh?"

What other answer would a jedi give to a sincere apology except, "Yes we are still friends." He half smiled.

"I'll see what I can do about keeping the others from running their mouths off." Ielese told Obi-Wan. "You all right now?"

"Yhea, you all just took me by surprise."

"That was the idea... We thought you'd laugh. We didn't mean to... I really wanted to get back at you."

"It's all right, really."

Ielese left and the others were waiting between their barracks.

"What was that all about?" Ringe asked

20. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
  21. imzadi

Sep 19, 2000
    I forgot that bit... this is hard to read. But an excellent story!

22. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
  23. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    In the third week of the cadets basic training the miracle occurred. Two of flight B's squads beat their flight A counterparts. First it happened with the squad that Lo-Lang was in. They let nothing the spacers did break their formation none of the wing men were separated from their partners.

The other squad to beat a flight A squad was the Alderaanians, the Grans, and the jedi. To everyone's surprise Fu-Ahn who had yet to even have a shot cross her bow, was shot down. Even more to their surprise it was not Obi-Wan who did it. It was Cadet Antilles.

He had been studying the hot shot's flight patterns for the last three weeks. In admiration of her skill, he used her own trick on her. He waited until Fu-Ahn was under her next target, and ready to shoot when Antilles flew into her blind spot, and his lasers let rip.

Fu-Ahn shook her head and tapped her helmet mike when the control cadet told her she had been killed. She thought there must be something wrong. They told her again, and she flew back to flight A's hangar.

It was not easy to down the rest of that squad. They were so disorientated by the loss of their leader, it gave flight B the advantage they needed. It also taught them what Lt. Spears had been telling his flight. They had to work as a unit, not rely on one or two good pilot to always pull them out of a jam.

When the squad landed the flight B couldn't help but hoot and jump in the thrill of their victory. They jumped out of their ships slaping each other on the back. They lifted Antilles above their heads, they chanted his name, as they had done earlier for Lo-Lang.

When the excitement died down. The squad shook hands with each other and recounted the best that each of them did that day. There was a real feeling of camaraderie among them. All except Wardeen who, thrilled by their victory as much as the rest, only shared his joy with the other Alderaanians. He all but ignored the Grans and Obi-Wan. The other pilots even celebrated with the techs who took care of their ships.

"Congratulations, are warranted indeed." Lt. Spears told them. "But I still believe you all have classes to get to." They scattered to where they were suppose to be.

In the fourth week things stayed about the same each of the two top flights were evenly matched. As the time when their curfew of not being able to go off of the academy grounds grew near, everyone's anticipation of freedom grew.

The pilots of flights A and B learned that now during their morning drill time they were going to be tutoring the Pilots of flights C and D. Those flights had been in a ground class and were now going to start on the simulators for the next four months.

Flights A an B were suppose to be learning how to be officers as well as flyers this was part of that training.

On the last day of their confinement to the academy grounds the officers told them they were going to have a little contest. A contest of their skills with side blasters. They were told that if they had brought a weapon with them, they should bring it to the firing range, and they would take off the safeties that had been put on them a month before.

Obi-Wan didn't even hesitate to go get his light saber. It was not a blaster, and he did know how to handle one, but he preferred a jedi's weapon.

At the firing range the ones who didn't have their own weapons were issued them. Some of the cadets never fired a blaster before. Many of these never even hit the target. It would be targeting classes for them for sure.

Of course all the Alderaanians were excellent marks men and women. Bail Organa, Colton Antilles, and Saraash had on their first round perfect scores.

When it was Obi-Wan's turn Lt. Spears was more amused than annoyed that the cadet did not have a blaster in his hand.

"And how." He shook his head. "Are you going to hit a target with that, Benobi?"

"Someone will have to shoot at me." Kenobi said as if it were a normal thing. "If someone would oblige."

"This I gotta see." The Flight Lt. of flight A said. "I'll even shoot at him. You won'

24. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
  25. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Mon Mothma! I got it this time around! The Force moves in mysterious ways. I loved the part about the crystal, too. Ah, I love this story. *happy sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.