main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by HL&S , Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It will definitely make TMNT more respectable over the campy 90's films.

2. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    nvm

3. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Loved it, the look of the turtles was so much more like the original Eastman and Laird comics. Excellent. And loved the Michaelangelo moment.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Apparently it was announced at Comic Con that the Japanese actor Mako would be doing the voice of Splinter. Unfortunately, Mako has passed away age 72 from cancer.

CNN Story.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think i read somewhere that he recorded the dialogue already. Hopefully that's the case, as that'd be a fitting role to end on.

But, yeah, a very sad loss.

6. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't know if I liked the trailer. CGI? Might have a better advantage due to the limitation on live-action films, but still, I don't know. This film could swing either way.

Growing up I was a HUGE turtle fan. I had everything.

7. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I saw the trailer and wasnt overly impressed.
    but you can bet my $11.75 that ill be there on opening weekend.
    Im still anxious to see a true trailer with plot points, as opposed to this "teaser"

Personally, my favorite TMNT was the original 80's/90's cartoon.
    I love the technidrome... what can i say.

Oh, i think volume 5 of the original series comes out late in August.
    Raph is on the cover and the episode list is great!

Corporate Raiders from Dimension X
    Pizza by the Shred
    Super Bebop and Mighty Rocksteady
    Beware the Lotus
    Blast from the Past
    Leatherhead: Terror of the Swamp
    Michaelangelo's Birthday
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Case of the Hot Kimono
    Usagi Come Home
    The Making of Metalhead
    Leatherhead Meets the Rat King

Usagi episodes are great, and I am really excited for Leatherhead, and one of my all time top ten Leatherhead meets the Rat King!!

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yups..

Awesome trailer. *bookmarks*

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

*shrugs* They made it for kids in mind. The lack of actors can have a disassociate affect on people, like it's not that much more real, but what would pre- and teens care?

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    well, kids'll want to see it($5.00/ticket), which means their parents will have to take em to it(6-10 dollars a ticket) and some younger teenagers'll want to see it (ditto as parents for ticket price) plus a pretty fair chunk of just plain nostalgic 20 to 30 year-olds..:p

11. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Maybe. But honestly, going by visuals alone, the teaser looked much more mature than the old films ever did. I'm not saying anything about the stories or anything like that. But the costumes of the Turtles in the old movies just screamed kids to me. The CG has a more stylized, potentially adult feel to me.

I wish we were getting a reboot, scrapping the old movies and beginning again with the original comics, but I'll be interested in where they go with this "loose sequel" idea anyway. And I'm actually more interested because it's a CG flick; I feel as though they might be able to do a really good job capturing the feel of the comics. It goes both ways, of course; my fiancée lost all interest upon learning that it was going to be animated instead of live. But I'm going with cautiously hopeful at the moment.

-Paul

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    So we have the new film coming out later this week, so that should be fun.

I now own the dvds of the old series. Volumes 1 to 6 and season 4. Right now I just got done watching Volume 3. I can't believe how many episodes there were. There's over 100 episodes in all of that and we're only in season 4. So much more to go. Of course the final season really blew in my opinion without Shredder and Krang. But that's not to say some earlier episodes were perfect. I've seen a couple so far that I've really disliked and a couple so far that I've really enjoyed.

It all rushes back to me from my memory. I love it.

13. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I saw it on Saturday. I was expecting to be see a disappointing children's film, but I loved it. My only disappointment is that Michaelangelo and Donnatello were sidelined quite a bit, especially Don. The film really focuses on Leo and Raph.

The human characters looked quite cartoony (or "Mayariffic" as I like to say) but the Turtles looked great. There's this great scene when it's raining and as a Computer Animation student, I had a fangasm when I saw how fantastic Leonardo was during said rain scene. Won't go into any plot spoilers, apart to say I found no problems with it. Two thumbs up, will see it again soon.

14. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I'm going to see it this Friday. I can't wait. :D

15. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    =P~ 3 days...god i love bein' a TURTLE!!!!

cant wait....

16. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Got my ticket reserved for 7:30 tomorrow night. [face_dancing]

17. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Woot, only a couple of hourse before I see it. [face_dancing]

P.S.- I'm using Donatello colors now. :D

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Really cool flick- I agree, those shots of Leo in the rain fight were awesome. I'm actually glad they focused on Leo and Raph since they've always been the deeper characters. I kinda wish Casey Jones had that bit of psychotic edge to him from the first film, though. The human characters look very Incredibles-esque. In fact, Stewart's character practicaly IS Mr Incredible. Also cool to see Splinter in action too.

Good level of humor though- the Ghostbusters II-esque "where are they now" opening was quite good.

BTW, I missed the opening minute or two- walking in as the narrator recap mentions they defeated Shredder. Any of info mentioned prior to that of note?

19. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm hoping to see it next week. Unfortunately I'm working all weekend

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    will see this in a week or 2. once i have more money and time some friends were saying that it was ok.

21. BAR_BAR_DRINKS

BAR_BAR_DRINKS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    Saw it. Loved it. Going again. Want more. And a sequel.

Best comic book movie SEQUEL ever!

22. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie. It brought back happy childhood memories of watching the cartoon as a kid. :D

23. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    I loved it! Maybe it's not a masterpiece or anything, but it brought back lots of good memories for me, and that's what I wanted. :D

24. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Saw this on Sunday and liked it but was left wanting more. It didn't focus enough of Mikey and Donny. Plus, I had been hoping for more action between the turtles and monsters. We got one fight scene, one interaction scene and that was it except for the fight near the end. I'll probably get this on DVD if I can find for a good price.

PS: Did anybody else think the plot resembled 13 Ghosts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.