main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Telepathy in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bob the X-Winger, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Knowing that the Jedi and Siths can read minds I would say their is a lot of discrimination against those who have this ability. Many in the Galaxy would be weary of force sensitive beings that can read your mind. Very intrusive if it is abused like with the Siths. After the old Republic was taken over Telepathy was possible outlawed and the Bounty Hunters given enormous sums to track down the left overs. That what I feel happened to the Jedi before ANH the Empire went after all those Telepaths and their would be no shortage of nosey know it all's willing to out anyone who had links to the Jedi or showing telepathic abilities.

Was the destruction of the Jedi caused by distrust of telepathy? We only see one other powerful force in the Galaxy not a telepath and that was Jabba the Hutt and he clearly showed a ignorance & laughter at telepathic Knight like Skywalker.

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    In ANH Vader used brute force on both Antilles and Leia to gather information, so his telepathic abilities in ANH either weren't there or temporarily diminished. However, he revealed a lot of empathy / mild telepathy, first his head jerked when Tarkin talked about a "different" form of persuasion (always looked to me as if Vader had an idea what he was about to propose) and of course, when he noted Obi-wan's presence.

In ESB we witness that both Luke and Vader can use telepathy as a form of communication but it's more like a monologue than a conversation, i.e. make another hear what you want to say and - with the Jedi mind trick - make another also do what you say.

Apparently, actual mind reading only works between Luke and Vader in ROJ but I don't see that as a general Jedi or Sith capability, but one that's owed to their unique relationship. And Leia seems to have taken her first step into a larger world when she senses that Luke is alive and didn't blow up with the Death Star.