main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY Telethon of Stars Party

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Nardo, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nardo

Nardo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2006
    It is that time of year again! I have talked to the group throwing the pre-party for the beneficiaries of the Lion's Club Telethon. They would like us back again this year. It will be at First Baptist Church; 2890 Broadway, Paducah, KY 42001. (same place it was last year) There is a community room on the left side of the building. I believe it starts at 1:00 and will run till about 3:00. We will probably get there about 12:15. These times are TENTATIVE until I confirm them with the lady running it. They could change by about 30 minutes.
    I would really like to encourage everyone to come out and troop this. It is fun, but those who did it last year know how much you get out of it just seeing how excited they get seeing our group. It is a very fulfilling troop. New guys, even if you would like to come and handle, we will need help! I will be handling because of my ample stomach, but we will need more help. I encourage all of our nearby fanforces to make the trip if you can, it is a great experience. This will be an official MSG 501st event, but that does not mean if you are not a member you can't troop this. So, please consider!

2. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

DarkLordOsirisPrime1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2006
    What is the date? Which saturday?

3. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    [face_blush]
    I'm an idiot. November 14th. I always leave something out!
    Sorry!

4. ice1138

ice1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2005
    If I'm out of work still, which is very likely, I'd probably come.

5. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

Dec 18, 2006
    I won't be able to make it.

6. TheSimi

TheSimi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2008
    I'll have to check scheduling cuz my Dr. will be in continuing ed 1 weekend next month, but I'm not sure if that's the one. If I can make it, I'll be there. Are we still trooping the telethon itself?

7. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    Not really. They mostly want us for this. This is the party for the Easter Seal's kids and adults. We were told last year that there isn't much room over there. We may do a presentation for the money we raised, but that will probably be a small number too, but not trooping. I really really hope Leia can make it!!

8. TKYTROOPER

Sep 18, 2005
    geez. it's nardo. sorry.

9. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    Hey guys, I am going to make this event formal canon. The more recognizable the characters the better. If you have any questions about what this means, or if you are good to troop (most people are) please let me know. And please send me a text or post if you can make it.
    Rena- if you would like to wear my guard just post and let me know. I can't wear it so, that's cool with me.

10. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

Dec 18, 2006
  11. TKYTROOPER

Sep 18, 2005
    Costumes recognizable from films. Are you thinking you could make it now Matt?

12. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

Dec 18, 2006
    Depends on my wife's schedule. As of now, its a no. Might change though.

13. MARA-JADED

MARA-JADED Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2007
    Thanks Barbie! I really appreciate that. The only thing is the helmet and me being so claustrophobic:) I will give it a try though.

14. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    I understand. I just didn't want to make it where someone couldn't troop if they wanted to. But, we had talked about this and really only wanted to use characters from the movies. Since Matt had already said he couldn't come, we decided to go ahead and make that call. The bucket is snug, but I have vented the visor so there is way more fresh air than there was initially.

15. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

Dec 18, 2006
    Will future events be formal canon as well?

16. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    Highly doubt it Matt. I am not the leader of this club, nor do I plan every event, we all take turns. Or we should. But I planned this, and I have been in contact with the telethon, and because it is a 501st event, I can make it formal canon with garrison permission. I certainly do not want to alienate anyone at all, but this event most definitely lends itself to formal canon. In my opinion, may not be everyones.
    I am sure most all of Paducah Imperial events will be like they always are.

17. TheSimi

TheSimi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2008
    Not gonna be able to make it. Doc's out of town the following week.

18. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

Dec 18, 2006
    I was just wondering, since it only applies to two of our costumes, and because I'd never heard of formal canon before.:cool:

19. TKYTROOPER

Sep 18, 2005
    Matt this is open to more than just Paducah people. Like she said it is posted on the MSG. For people with multiple costumes we want them to wear the ones that are the most recognizable (basicly non EU.) Hadn't we rather have a guy from Nashville show up as a clone than in his Starkiller costume? Considering our audiance we thought having the more recognizable characters would be the way to go. I would think you of all people would understand. How many times have you been called Vader? Formal canon isn't something we just made up it's basicly what they ask for for mainstream public events (it's what was asked for for the concert series). This decision was made after you posted saying you we not trooping it or anything else the rest of the year.

20. Valhalla

Valhalla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2006
    Ok, so if you are having to get Garrison permission, that would make it a 501st event not a PI event correct. And does that exclude any non 501st but PI members coming in non-canon attire. Would non-canon dressed attendees be asked to change or leave.

This is becoming a little redonkulous. Everything with group now truly does revolve around Fan Films or Trooping and now it seems the non - canon, non 501st members are gonna get pushed to the side with the rest of us. What happened to the get togethers, gonk and diorama days, mini tourneys? We haven't had a saga weekend since when? I think Bubba was still acting president.

I know I haven't been to anything in awhile nor posting much on the forums, but holy zombie Jesus folks. This club has been hemmoraging members for a while now, can nothing be done to reboot this club?

Heck, maybe the SIJOs will do more in the Metropolis area so the rest of us can have something to do.

21. Wil_Sinistar

Wil_Sinistar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2006
    Everyone pretty much knows my view of the 501st, but I think everyone should be thinking more about whats best for the telethon kids than whats best for the club. If this was a Star Wars specific event or, say the upcoming roller girl bout, yes I would say that making it formal canon would be a dick move. But these kids are going to be excited about seeing characters they know, I don't think me dressing up as Willrow Hood or Quinlan Voss would do anything for them. Everyone take a deep breath and think about the situation, make it about the kids and not about the club.

22. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    moved to tkytroopers highjacked thread

23. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    And yep, Wil is correct. I wouldn't make the derby bout "formal/canon". I don't care if you show up in a bathrobe carrying a wrapping paper tube for a lightsaber. If you have registered with me beforehand, you will probably get in. (I'll tell everyone you are mentally unstable, but you will probably get in) You can have Jem and the Holograms stickers all over your TK armor (that would be badass) and still get in if you registered. That is what this kind of troop is for. This kind of troop would be for fun. The telethon is not for us. It is not for the Paducah Imperials. It is not for the 501st. It is for the kids and adults that the Lion's Club raises money for. I know all of you know this, I just want to remind you.

24. DarkLordOsirisPrime1

Dec 18, 2006
    I agree. For me, it has always been about the kids. I did the telethon last year and loved every minute of it. Plenty of times when I trooped, I sacrificed time with my family and other responsibilies simply because I wanted to bring a smile to a child's face. For me, it is about the kids. This past halloween, when I was trick or treating with my daughter, I saw a young boy around age 8 walking around in a shadow stormtrooper costume. It was clear that it had been painted black. Somebody asked him if he was Darth Vader, and he said that he was a shadow stormtrooper and that he got the idea after seeing someone dressed up in that costume at the Metropolis Comic Show last year. That made my year right there when I thought about how I had brought some fun and enjoyment to that kid. And I'm sorry if my questions came off as attacking the event B. They weren't meant to be. I was just confused about formal canon and whether or not future events were going to be this way. No harm was intended and I certainly didn't plan on unleashing this firestorm. Good-bye.

25. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    I would just like to say that in all this everyone doesn't seem to notice that Barbie is just trying to organize an event and your all coming down on her because of the details. I would like to thank Barbie for taking the time to organize this event as she did last year (with about the same response) and all the other events she has helped organize. Everyone needs to ease up on her. It's not her fault you all have a problem with me, or the club or costuming. Our members that are costumers really enjoy it and are proud of it and they make alot of thier own oppurtunities to troop which is why that has become the dominant part of our club. Again, I am hoping to change that, but not at the expense of our costume members. They work harder than any one else in the club including myself and do not deserve to be berated or looked down upon. If you have a personal problem with one of them, then make it known to them, otherwise, leave them and thier events alone.
    You know they always need help handling and what not at every one of the costuming events and very few show up to do so, and they make do. SO if you are not a costumer (like myself) and would like to support the club, then please consider coming out to help at an upcoming event, like this one next weekend (I'll be there helping) You never know, you may just end up having a great time. pv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.