main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Tell Him to Stop (OCs; GWG Valentine "a soldier's letter home" challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by lazykbys, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Title: Tell Him to Stop
    Author: lazykbys
    Timeframe: during the Thrawn Trilogy
    Characters: OCs
    Genre: letters
    Summary: Letters from a New Republic NCO to his younger sister.
    Notes: This is an entry for the GWG Valentine challenge.

[b]Tell Him to Stop[/b]

Dear Emianda,

I'm sorry it's been a while since my last letter, but things have been hectic lately. Thrawn seems determined to kick the living daylights out of us, and Kallin is convinced that keeping our morale low by keeping the short interlude between battles even shorter is just another one of his sneaky, underhanded tricks.

The news of your engagement caught me completely by surprise, by the way. Your fiancé's identity was less surprising (you've been dating him since forever, you know), although I was [u]hoping[/u] you would catch an officer instead of just a grunt. You did this on purpose, didn't you. I bet you're really an Imperial spy who decided to wait till the war took your noisy brother away so that you and Ma could gang up on Da to ram your future husband down his throat. (Just kidding, Emi!)

You realize, of course, that by the ancient laws of older-brothership, I must now find a way to torture you in return. And I think I can do that by telling you that your precious Aerol has been assigned to my unit. That's right, Emi, I'm his commanding officer. I leave it up to you to figure out just [u]what[/u] I might order him to do.

But seriously, he seems like a decent guy. Just yesterday he came up to me and looked at me straight in the eye and said, man to man, that he was going to make me proud of having him as a brother-in-law. He said a lot of other things that made him sound like an idiot, and just to shut him up I told him I'd rather be proud of him as a soldier. I think that might have been a [u]major[/u] tactical error on my part.

Anyway, he went away with a look on his face that's got me worried that he's going to do something really stupid to prove himself. How I wish I could pound it into their heads the things I had to learn the hard way . . .

Unfortunately, I can't yell at him for something stupid he hasn't done yet, no matter how likely it is. Could you try and talk some sense into him? Tell him to stop trying to impress me and just do his job? It would make my life a lot easier if you could.

I have to go now, but I'll try to write again when I get the chance. Tell Ma and Da I love them.

Your loving brother,
    Phyl

-----

Dear Emianda,

Well, your stupid boyfriend's gone and done it. He's put himself in a bacta tank. It's nothing serious, just some burns all over his body. I won't go into the details (they're boring, trust me) but he was cutting corners in a training exercise, trying to get something prepped in record time and it backfired on him.

Emi, why couldn't you have found an anal-retentive who'd stick to every rule and regulation like a mynock instead? The AR would drive me crazy just as well, but [u]without[/u] endangering anyone else.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm in a bad mood right now. I want to go and shout at your boyfriend, but the med droid tells me it would only slow his healing rate. Something psychosomatic that I don't understand, but it means I can't yell at him until he gets out. Besides, he can't hear me through the bacta.

Anyway. Tell him to stop, [u]please[/u]. Tell him there's a distinct line between bravery and bloody stupid recklessness. If we work together on this and yell at him from both sides, maybe he'll listen.

Don't tell him this, but I think he's got what it takes to be a good soldier. I just hope he doesn't get himself killed before we can get his head straightened out.

Your frustrated (but still loving) brother,
    Phyl

-----

Dear Emianda,

As you probably know by now, your soon-to-be-husband Aerol is a Hero. I won't bother you with the details, but the short version is that he disobeyed my direct order to get the hell out of

2. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    very good lazykbys that was great I loved the raising agitation in the letters that was perfect!!!

3. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Aw, it's wonderful!

Uh, I'm crap at reviews... but I liked this! Cool OC! ^^;

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was an exceptional letter!! I've never had an older brother but from this I'd like hi to be just like Phyl! It was very realistic and the sadly all too humorous... must say poor Phyl though. :)

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005

[b]Darth_Djinn:[/b]
    I loved the raising agitation in the letters that was perfect!!![hr][/blockquote]Once I had the title, it was just a matter of putting a crescendo on it.
    [blockquote][hr][b]djcati:[/b]
    Aw, it's wonderful!

Uh, I'm crap at reviews... but I liked this! Cool OC! ^^;[hr][/blockquote]Thank you! Of course, he's just an archetype "older brother/father of the bride" with a "sergeant with a rookie" thrown in :D
    [blockquote][hr][b]Healer_Leona:[/b]
    That was an exceptional letter!! I've never had an older brother but from this I'd like him to be just like Phyl! It was very realistic and the sadly all too humorous... must say poor Phyl though. :)[hr][/blockquote]I've been an older brother for most of my life, although I'm not sure how much of it rubbed off on Phyl. Then again, maybe he's the kind of older brother I [i]want[/i] to be. Hmm . . .

Thanks for reading!

6. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Hee hee hee. You have captured the essence of older brother. I commend you.

7. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    As an older brother heading to the military, I can totally see myself in those letters. Good work!

8. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005

[b]Smuggler_Shidakis:[/b]
    Hee hee hee. You have captured the essence of older brother.[hr][/blockquote]Thank you, I'm glad you liked it :)
    [blockquote][hr][b]CommanderConrad:[/b]
    As an older brother heading to the military, I can totally see myself in those letters. Good work![hr][/blockquote]I'm relieved you agree with my imagination. Thank you for reading!

9. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    very good response to the challenge, lazy!! the brotherly POV was original & quite realistic!

good job! :)

10. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005

[b]SarkaVrae:[/b]
    very good response to the challenge, [b]lazy[/b]!! the brotherly POV was original & quite realistic![hr][/blockquote]Thank you! Although the "originality" is probably due to my basic contrary nature :D

11. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    A refreshing POV for the challenge. I enjoyed watching Aerol grow as a soldier.

12. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    A hearty congratulations goes to lazykbys for placing second in this months challenge. Good job, bud!

[image=http://royalguard2.alpinegarrison.com/marc/blue-ribbon-small.gif]

13. lazykbys_left

Feb 17, 2005
    Oh wow, second prize? Wow.

Aerol's story is a simple one: the reckless rookie who saves the day. It's amazing how much work we can get out of these old archetypes :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.