main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tell me about your cable provider

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Feb 13, 2014.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Al Franken shoots down Comcast buying Time Warner

--- Not only would this merger give Comcast too much control over content and pricing, but as a long time Comcast customer, I can relate that their accountability to their customers is at an all time low as well as the service provided, and not just in the general crappy customer service way that we have all had to adjust to as big corporations take over our lives.---

So, I have been a Comcast customer for over a decade. I have had Verizon for phone and internet for the same time. I just got sick of high bills, and made the switch to AT&T. Or I will this weekend. Two people have directly told me that have not had any major issues, they are cheaper, and their customer service is excellent. So this Saturday morning the change will be made and I will save $200 a month is bills as a result.

[face_dancing]

EHT likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Are the Feds definitely going to approve the merger? It seems clearly monopolistic even by the U.S.'s current loose standards (see: the AT&T/T-Mobile merger from a few years back).

3. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    One of a million reasons I don't have cable....and never will.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't think it will happen, but my confidence of that statement is not high.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just canceled my direct tv subscription last week. no regrets.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, this would also affect the people who use TWC's internet service. Cord cutters usually don't ditch that unless they're going the way of the Unabomber.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    CNBC report says the deal is basically done, but that does not mean the gov will let it happen. I shant care, I shall get both cable and broadband internet for the cost Comast charges just for cable.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There's too many things I enjoy about DirecTV to ever get rid of it.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I considered Direct TV, but ultimately no. Ironically if I ever did get a sailboat I'd have no choice but to get them if I wanted tv onboard.

My changeover will cost me almost a grand. I have to pay two bills up to date, then prorate them to the current bill, then pay them off and drop off the equipment. Then save money! I shalt be busy this Saturday.

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Please God let Google Fiber go national.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It would cost billions, which is out of one company's price range.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I wish this.

13. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Unfortunately you're correct. It's not really viable at this point.

Provo have their fiber system to Google cuz they couldn't afford it. Creating that sort of infrastructure is hard.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

14. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, it is viable if all the ISP's start investing, and the government* encouraging it would be a big help.

*I want the FCC's seemingly-crazy free "wi-fi" plan implemented just to see how private companies would flip out. It's only like 5 mbps, but that's still competitive with a lot of plans (especially data plans for cell phones) unfortunately.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have had Verizon's Mifi for a couple of months now as a replacement for a previous device that was no longer compatible with Windows XP. It's fast. It's 72 mps. However, it does have its bad days where it refuses to connect. The AT&T connection will be one line to me which should nto be affected by peak hours and get be 18 mps which i may increase for a higher price if I wish.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I do love me some Comcast. A little pricey, but they're reliable.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I will say, Comcast is pretty good. I have had it here for a decade and it only really went out twice aside from a couple of other power outtages. The problem is expense. I cut out 4 movie channels to reduce my bill and still pay $110 a month for it.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    U-Verse. It sucks.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree, VL. I'm strategic with the premium stuff - it's gotten easier than ever to get those channels, now you don't even have to call them. Generally, they'll do 10 a month for 12 months for the promotion. I'll nab HBO for The Newsroom, Game of Thrones, and Curb. Showtime for House of Lies and Californication, used to get it for Dexter when the ex was around, she loved that show. Cancel them at the end of the season, then go back and get it as I need it. One more thing about Comcast, they've totally overhauled their On Demand stuff recently, and it's brilliant (outside of the CW - do not recommend trying to watch Arrow OD, unless you want to sit through 30 minutes of Dean Martin roast commercials to go with your superhero). Remote DVR is great at work, too, if I forget to record something.

My problem is the internet cost- I'm paying 60 bucks for decent internet. Problem is, the townhouse community I live in has exclusivity with Comcast of Charleston. Only game in town, unless I want a dish - which I absolutely don't.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I actually like my Time Warner; I hate Comcast with the passion of a billion fiery suns.

There is likely no monopolistic issue with the merger because... these companies do not overlap; any competition on a per zip code basis is between Comcast/Other or TWC/Other -- it's never Comcast/TWC.

I still run phone/internet via Verizon.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    O&A were talking about FIOS yesterday, and seemed to like it in the NY area. That's the one thing that could pull me from Comcast, if I moved to an area where I could get it. Verizon is another one that has crappy costs, but has always been reliable when I need them with phone and data services.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Two questions for you:

1) Your townhome community allows for satellite dishes?

2) Why wouldn't you want a dish?

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    They do - oddly, it's the only thing that they do allow outside of Comcast.

I've just heard terrible things about them, especially reliability during storms. Charleston gets nasty during the summer months, storms come like clockwork around 2-3 PM daily to break the heat - I wouldn't want to have to worry about that constantly. What do you think of them, Tunes?

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I live in a townhome community as well, but one that no longer allows for new dishes (this place switched landlords a few years ago)... those families who had dishes previously were allowed to keep them, so I got lucky in that regard. This new policy is what's keeping us from getting HD... we're too fond of DirecTV (particular with my brother come time for the NFL season) to get rid of it, so we're stuck in a standard definition malaise. :p

Despite that, I've got nothing but great things to say about DirecTV/dishes. Because inclement weather isn't much of a factor in my neck of the woods, there have been very few instances of service disruptions... of course that's different in Charleston, so I under your resistance to dishes. The best thing about DirecTV (aside from channel 856... New Age music) is that most of the cable channels use the East Coast feed, which is a huge plus, especially for channels such as Comedy Central, The Hallmark Channel, usa & TNT/TBS.