main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Telosian Cantina - Fan Content Forum! With Jedi and Sith Rankings!

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by TheOffice, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOffice

TheOffice Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    Hi, I've got a new forum with no members, It features;
    Fan art, Fan fiction, Jedi and Sith rankings, custom avatars, apprenticeship ( you must be seleceted by master or higher to become a knight ). So with that said head to the Telosian Cantina!

DV EDIT: Please see this new thread for discussion

2. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Okay, I'm not going to get into the technical problems of the site right now. I am going to focus on the biggest problem your site has: it's no different than the hundreds if not thousands of other Star Wars Fan Site-attempts out there. You need to look around at many, many other forums and then ask yourself this question: "What does my site have that the countless other Star Wars sites do not have?" If you cannot answer that question then you have already set out on the wrong foot.

3. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    I know that there are no board yet, but what I have to offer is my role-playing rankings, and friendly enviroment.
    By the way, the first 20 members to join will be automatically promoted to Knight level (To begin training Padawans right away)

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Were you able to answer, "What does my site have that the countless other Star Wars sites do not have?"

5. KudarMubat15

KudarMubat15 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2005
    I agree 100% with jedimasterbac. You should try to do something more unique... I also suggest you get a better stylesheet. I don't mean to be rude about it, I am just informing you...

The first thing a member sees when they click your link is the stylesheet. If this stylesheet doesn't catch their attention, it won't draw them in. If it isn't good, they will just close your site and never think of it again.

As jedimasterbac said, you need something else to draw people in. Something unique about your site. If your site is just like every other Star Wars forum out there, they will still avoid joining. Why would they want to join another new Star Wars forum that is the same as 3 they are already a member of?

I also suggest you to post topics. Currently you have 1 topic, and no other posts besides that. That is not the best thing to advertise on. Try creating loads of topics before (or in this case, after) you release your site. Your members will want something to do. When you first start out, you are the only person you can rely on to keep the site active. You will have to post the most. Why would someone want to stay so acvtive at the site if even the administrator doesn't post?

In all cases when creating a message board, try to see your forum from a members eye veiw. Look around at other, more successful forums and compare them to yours. What makes their sites better and more successful? (NOTE: I am not saying to copy them,)

6. Ice_Ghost11

Ice_Ghost11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    I agree, the stylesheet is in need of fine-tuning. Try to create a theme of colors and use colors that compliment one another. Make sure it is easy on the eye and that all text is viewable.

Here are a few sites that might help you in creating skins:
    http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorcodes.html
    http://www.solidsnakedesigns.com
    http://socal.proboards26.com/index.cgi?
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/reference/color_codes/

Or if you'd like PM me and I can show you some of the skins I've done. If you like them I'd be more than happy to help you put one or two of them up. :)

I hope that helps. :D

7. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    Okay, I've updated my layout and now users have a choice of my jedi or sith skin

8. KudarMubat15

Oct 18, 2005
    It is better, I will give you that. It could probably still use some work however...

9. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks. Just so you know, I'm adding a database to my site and fan contributions are welcome.

10. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Here's some tips:

You'll find that red and black are very hard on the eyes. It's best to throw in dark grays with it as well. Here's a link to a site where I set up a black and red scheme for my boyfriend. Black and Red Scheme Hopefully that will give you a few ideas as to what I'm saying. :)

As for your Jedi skin... *puts on sunglasses*

11. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks for the hints, updated.

12. TheOffice

Jan 11, 2006
    Could a mod please delete this thread? I will make a new one.

13. KudarMubat15

Oct 18, 2005
    There is absolutely no reason I can see to delete this and start a new topic...

EDIT: I am sure I have seen those forum markers on another message board being advertised on this forum... Are they by any chance ripped?

14. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Those can be found in countless locations. They are part of a premade skin by www.fs-hosting.com I believe. But the skin is for phpBB and not proboards. Still, some of the graphics are interchangeable.

And since I take it you're referring to JVS; if TheOffice wishes to use them he is more than welcome to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.