main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Temple of Doom was too violent. How are the other IJ films?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by george_starwars, Dec 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    I didn't like Temple of Doom on account of the violence and repugnent gore. I had to stop watching it after the one guy ripped out the other guy's heart...and I'm not really squeamish!

I've never seen any of the others, so how do the rest of the Indianna Jones movies compare?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Melting faces, burning hands, people getting chopped up by propellers, rapid aging and disintegration. Yep. All that and more...

They all have elements of gore, but it's "cartoony" if you know what I mean - not realistic. Mind you the heart scene in Temple isn't realistic either and if that was too much for you...

3. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Ok. My next question would be how graphic is it? I can do melting heads...if it doesn't look realistic. I can do burning hands...if its not much more than charred skin. I can do people being chopped up by propellers...if we don't see to much of the chopped-up body parts. I can do rapid aging. I can do disintigrations. Both of the last two were in the Star Trek movies that I grew up on.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, the heart-ripping scene is probably the "grossest" scene from the series of movies. I don't think you'll see anything worse, it's just where you draw the limits.

I'd suggest watching the other two and be prepared with the remote if it gets too intense.

I'd also recommend fast-forwarding the heart scene in Temple and picking up afterwards.

But why would you not watch Raiders first?

5. Abner_Doon

Abner_Doon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Temple of Doom was the worst of the lot...its lead female character sucked (Sorry Steve), it was a little too gratuitous and it lacked the sense of seriousness that the religious overtones in the other two add.

6. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    A matter of opinion. I still regard the finale of "Raiders", in which the Ark was destroying the Nazis, a lot more disturbing. I simply don't relish the sight of watching someone's face slowly melt into a gelantinous mess of flesh, blood and protruding eyeballs. Sorry.

7. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    I watched Doom first because one day after riding the IJ ride and Disneyland we decided to rent a couple of the movies. We got Doom and I think Raiders. Not knowing which one goes first, and having heard of Temple of Doom we decided to do that one first.

I simply don't relish the sight of watching someone's face slowly melt into a gelantinous mess of flesh, blood and protruding eyeballs. Sorry.

I'd have to agree.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The ripping out of the heart sequence wasn't that bad...

9. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Ewwww! How can you say that?!

10. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    You are the most squeamish "un-squeamish" person I've ever heard off!!! ;-). Man, you are missing a\on a lot of good movies, from Saving Private Ryan to Robocop and Total Recall. Anyway to each his own.

Yeah the heart scene is probably the most graphic one, though I agree that the Raiders finale is more disturbing, what gets me is the death rays that get most soldiers. Mst of the othermore flashy death scenes in Indiana Jones happen offscreen, like the German mechanic meet airplane. A few other are a bit more graphic but you barely see them like one guy being run over by a truck.

There really isn't that much gore and violenmce in the Indy movies. They were rated PG and PG13. Heck there ar plenty of much better examples of gore an violence from the 80s, with all the gratuitious movies and many done in the heyday of the small studios/production companies (Golan/Globus was the pinaccle of this).

11. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually watching Temple first is not such a bad idea. Chronologically, Temple of Doom is the first movie.

And I do think that the ripping heart is the heigth of grossness in Indy movies. I mean, the Meling Nazis looked like they were made of Play-Doh!

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > Chronologically, Temple of Doom is the first movie.

Waaahh! I hate that argument for watching movies out of sequence.

I find it best to watch movies in the order they were released so as to pick up on the introductory narrative that is not necessary in later releases.

I think that opening Peru scene sets up the whole Jones series in a way the dance number of Temple could never do.

13. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    What does everyone think the IJ movies would be rated today?

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I guess the same as the VHS tapes are rated...

15. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Which is...

16. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    ...different in every country.

Head down to your local video store & see what they're stickered as. :)

17. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    There's alot of guns and shooting in Raiders and last crusade, and punching and there's a barfight (with guns) and other stuff. Temple of Doom is way different than the other two, I count it as "some other adventure" of Indy.

18. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Thanks guys! This really helps.

19. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Okay, I'm gonna tell you what there is, and you can make your judgement from there.

Raiders:
    A skeleton that still has a little decomposing to do (not that bad, though.)
    Shortly after a guy who got shot by needles is seen. Some but no impaled eyes or anything.
    Later in the bar fight there is some and a man grabs a hot item and screams, but no charred skin is seen or anything. Later an imprint of the item is seen, but not graphic at all.
    Some grotesque mummies are seen, but generally not bad.
    The chopped face that was previously mentioned isn't bad at all. The propellor comes near the guy, and it cuts to splattering on the plane and you hear the propellor muffled by the face.
    In the famous truck chase a man gets run over, but all you see are his arms and legs going up.
    Then the face melting scene. It's basically like wax heads rapidly melting over skeletons with accompanying sound effects.

In Last Crusade there is some .
    Also a man is beheaded, but the cut is off screen and no is present. Later a man rapidly ages until he's a skeleton. In that case, basically think "The Mummy" and you've got the most graphic part of the scene.

I hope that's helped.

20. george_starwars

Oct 23, 2002
    Eugene: Thanks sooooooo much. That was most helpful. It sounds like a low-end PG-13 movie. I'm thinking that I'll watch it one of these days.

21. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
  22. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Watch Raiders of the lost ark first, then The last crusade.

23. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well both Raiders and Temple of Doom seemed to have been PG, and Last Crusade PG-13. Thta's probably why Temple of Doom had some controversy then.

24. BriaTharen

BriaTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    i just watched Temple of Doom tonight for the first full time. if you are squeamish, keep a remote handy. that is what i did for the heart-ripping scene. everything else wasn't too bad for me. my sis started freakin out about the 'snake surprise' but that really isn't any worse than the taun-taun scene is ESB

25. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Well both Raiders and Temple of Doom seemed to have been PG, and Last Crusade PG-13. Thta's probably why Temple of Doom had some controversy then."

The two films Temple of Doom and Gremlins are responsible for the creation the PG-13 rating.

Actually, one of the funniest quotes that I have ever heard came from Steven Speilberg on the issue. While he supported the new rating, he reminded everyone that the film "was called 'The Temple of Doom,' not the 'Temple of Roses.'" [face_laugh]

:cool: Mace Windy,
    new year, same level of windiness!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.