main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Temple Of Doom's Downfall: The Villian Mola Rom

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Cigam Retah, Jun 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    I also like TOD. I think that many people love to hate TOD just because it is fashionable or "cool".

BTW, for those of you referring to the "Dumb blonde" in the movie, that's Kate Capshaw, Steven Speilberg's WIFE!!!

JediBeowulf --> who LIKES TOD, and doesn't care if he is unfashionable in doing so. It was a good movie...get over it.

2. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I think Cigam made some excellent points, the villain situation is not all that well-constructed. Combining the two would have been interesting. At minimum, they could have showed a bit more of the working relationship between Mola Ram and Chatta.

Nevertheless, I saw the movie on TV the other night and I was reminded how much I enjoyed it and how extremely well put together the film is...superb filmmaking craftmanship. Great action...brilliantly staged. And while some may not enjoy the Short Round character, his line readings and body language are brilliantly directed by Spielberg.

3. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    'Temple of Doom' was my favorite as a kid as far as action entertainment. Let's see... I was about 10 when it came out in 84, and I loved it in the theater. There's one huge continuity error during the finale though. The master shots of the bridge before it is cut show the water below. It's almost nothing more than a puddle with many rocks around it. Then, when they're hanging on the bridge on the side of the cliff, they virtually show a huge, open sea below. Like when Mola Rom falls. If you never noticed it before, check it out.

4. OB1

OB1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 1998
    Cigam, They werent in Bangkok, thats the capital of Thailand. They were in Pankot.

5. PaDmE-GuRl

PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    I think that Mola Ram was kinda hammy, but, come to think of it, most villains in Indy movies are hammy(that overacting Nazi guy from tlc that ended up underneath a tank, and don't get me started on that very sadistic Nazi from ROLA). At least he made Willie look more intelligent than him. When he shouts he reminds me of people in Godzilla movies that the camera closes up on when they're about to end up on the bottom of greeny's big smelly feet.

6. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Who was Chatter Lal, I haven't seen it in a long time and was just wondering?

7. TwistedMentat

TwistedMentat Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2002
    The guy who played Mola Ram is actually a very famous Bollywood actor. (Bollywood is the term form India's Hollywood-like scene)

His name is Amrish Puri, and I think he did a great job as a mystical nut out to take people's hearts. Given the script and the material available to him, he did pretty good.

But then again, I was only 8....

8. Grieve

Grieve Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    The whole movie is a lot different than the other Indy films. I still think TOD should have came first. The characters are a little over the top (okay, maybe more than a little). But that doesn't bother me. I love Short Round and Willie. Mola Ram was pretty creepy. I have nothing wrong with him.

9. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I thought the villian was cool and so was Short Round. However I thought the rest of the movie stunk. The dumb blonde was annoying as hell and should have been shot. Also, being an Indian, I was insulted about every 5 minutes by the picture. Most Indians are vegetarians; where the hell did monkey brains and snakes come into the picture? I don't care if it was just meant to scare the audience or the reason they ate it is because they were under that black curse BS. It was a PURE INSULT, but I'm just speaking for myself.

10. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy film as well. Mola Rom might not be the most developed villain out of the Indy films, but he certainly is the scariest. Also, Short Round rocks. :D

11. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I DISAGREE!

12. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    With what? :confused:

13. Anakin_Skywalker

Anakin_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    The Villans In Indy's movies are not "Villans" Bellqoh-Archelogist
    Mola Rom/Chatter=Religon belivers and a college grad.
    Walter Donovan=Very Rich Buiness man.

So there not villans, just people who dislike Indy.

"Just a nudge, and you will be like me"

"Soon, you will be a true beliver"

"I said, Don't trust anyone!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.