main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto "Temporarily out of service..."

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Digital, Jun 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Can you believe this!? City on strike!

It was dark amusement that I read those signs posted by city folk that public garbage cans are out of order.

That's just wrong!

"I don't think the system works. We need a system where the politicians can sit down and discuss the problem. Agree what's in the best interest of all the people- And then DO it...."

*Ponders this further*

2. prof_frink

prof_frink Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 1, 1999
    I guess this is where I'm lucky having moved slightly out of the city... So while you guys stew in your garbage juice this summer, I'll be living in the garbage free confines of Ajax... Yeah me!

3. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    "Shut down all the garbage compactors on the detention level! Shut down all the garbage compactors on the detention level!!"

4. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

GAH! i was hoping this was only a temporary thing that would blow over..this garbage strike. :( Its bad enough i work near a recycling plant so the "wonderful" ha ha. smell of sulfur is in the air :p now i am afraid to walk by dominion...sour milk. ew.

Anyone know when this is supposed to be resolved??

5. Psiberian

Psiberian Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2000
    Well, the various parties were all pretty snippy on the news yesterday, and they were throwing around words like "September" and "October"... :(

Let's hope it works itself out much sooner then that....

6. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    Well, look at this way Elewyn;

"What an incredible smell you discovered..."

:p

7. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I don't care what you smell, get in there (*points to chapters*)

8. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

*christina goes to work* grumbling something about about a gigantic garbage monster...

9. Psiberian

Psiberian Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2000
    Well, I just watched a press conference on CP24 where Lastman pretty much slammed the union.

Now, I don't really know that much about politics, but it seems to me that calling your opponents names and blaming the whole thing on them is NOT the best way to solve a problem, especially when it seems that it's not even at it's worst yet: Apparently there's another group which is still in negotiations with the city. If these don't go well, come Saturday, we may be looking at a strike of the -indoor- workers as well as the outdoor ones...

Sigh...this just gets better and better...

10. Darth_Surly

Darth_Surly Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Besides the fact that he's acting like a child, he is our MAYOR and the city is in a CRISIS and all he does is freak out and whine! Thanks for the leadership there, Mel! How about a "pull together" speech telling everyone that this is a good opportunity to start composting, reducing waste, etc. which are habits that will help everyone in the long run?

Not only would that help create a "Citizens vs. Union" mentality (which would help him), it would help deal with the actual problem! God forbid.

*steps off Surly Soapbox (TM)*

11. Duker_Duck

Duker_Duck Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2001
    Ironically they picked up my garbage the day before the strike started. :p

So I guess I can last longer then you guys.

12. Darth_Surly

May 10, 2002
    Well, I thought Etobicoke was still getting pickup anyway - Etobicoke, York, and apartment buildings.

But it's also a question of no one cleaning up the streets: after the Pride Parade, the Indy, the Pope, etc.

13. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    The Pope in the Popemobile wins the Indy and then is the Grand Marshall in the Pride Parade?

Wow.

14. Darth_Surly

May 10, 2002
    Yeah - Anything can happen in TO!

Can you imagine the Pope in the popemobile in the Pride parade with a super soaker?! :)

15. Duker_Duck

Jul 25, 2001
    Oh yeah, I forgot Etobicoke Privatized.

HA! ANOTHER CASE OF WEST END RULES!!!!!!!

16. Nyla

Nyla Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I really hope it doesn't last very long. My union (the inside workers) is in a position to strike on Saturday :( Nobody is even speculating how long the Cupe 416 or the 79 strikes might last. It may just be one stinky summer for me... in more ways than one. :)

17. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    What say we find out Mel's address, and the addresses of the Union heads and start dumping our garbage on their lawns. (Yes, I believe Mel does live in an apartment, but you get the idea)

It'll put a little more pressure on to get a quick settlement.

18. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    I heard that the popemobile is going to be the pace car at the Indy...

"The molson Indy, the only car race endorsed by the Pontiff"

19. Duker_Duck

Jul 25, 2001
    Garbage, I might not have much.

And you need to take into account this whole issue is abotu a seniority clause.

20. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    You know what's funny, I was just watching the behind the music story of Garbage on Much More Music...

21. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    Hehehe...I live in Markham...we still have garbage pickup...nyah nyah nyah...

From,
    The Right Honourable,
    Mayor of Markham

;)

22. prof_frink

Feb 1, 1999
    Great - now get this - my parents and my in laws want me to take their garbage so I can throw it out for them... yea! I can't wait to get all that garbage with its assorted juices and smells into the trunk of my car...

Damn Toronto unions...

23. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Actually, the Pride Parade people are cleaning up after themselves. There's been a shout-out to people to do a massive garbage pickup afterwards.

Cris~
    Does not want to smell Pride Parade Garbage come Tuesday.

24. Duker_Duck

Jul 25, 2001
    Well I'll sit back in my fress clean aired part fo the city and laugh as your garbage piles up anways.

25. Darth_Digital

Oct 29, 2001
    I got this mental image in my head;

Some guy with a beard dressed in a wedding gown walking around with a giant garbage bag picking up trash...

Can you imagine the front page of the Toronto Sun!?

TAKING PRIDE IN OUR CITY. Page #12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.