main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Temuera Morrison vs Dee Bradley Baker.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Zandalor, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I've been pondering this lately. I'm curious why Temuera Morrison was never asked to return to his role as the voice of the clones.

Now, Dee Bradley Baker is fine, but I can't help but feel like his voice acting is a little wooden at times. Some good examples of this are Cody's lines during Landing at Point Rain. His words just aren't flowing smoothly to me. And as for giving the clones different voices to show their personality, I really don't see it. He has three clone voices: gruff like Rex, like like Echo or any Shiny, or sounding like Cody.

Now, Tem Morrison has done different clone voices in the past as well. You can even here some personality differences in the final battle of Attack of the Clones. The commander sounds a lot more regimental than the white job who picks up Padme.
    In ROTS, his voice changes for a lot of the clones. Cody sounds pretty different from Appo or Oddball in the movie. I guess the best example of his different voices is at the Battle of Utapau. The one shot where the troop is gunned down, and his comrade is calling for a medic, you can here a lot of chatter going on.

The thing about Morrison's voice is that it sounds more natural. His words flow smoother and sound less mechanical than say Cody in TCW.
    His absolute best clone performance, though, has to be Boss in Republic Commando. That voice still sounds like other clones, but there is more personality invested in the character than even what Morrison did for Jango Fett.

How do you think the Clone Wars series would be if Temuera Morrison returned to his role as the voice of the Grand Army?

2. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    To be honest I've grown to like Dee Bradley Baker's clone voice. I completely disagree about him only sounding like 3 clones. If you really listen you can tell the differences, especially in Rookies.

Would it be more smoother and more accurate if they got Temuera Morrison? Yes. But Dee Bradley Baker is doing a good enough job IMHO.

3. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    That's an interesting point about Boss and I was thinking about that the other day. The thing I like about Dee, and something that he demonstrates in the "Clones" interview at starwars.com, is that he can give the different clones different types of voices, making them gruffer or greener or more proper or whatnot. I couldn't help but wonder if Morrison could do the same had he had to voice so many characters that get that much screen time. He might be able to pull it off. I mean, Boss vs. Jango vs. the narrators from Battlefront II all seemed different to me.

In any case, at this point I do like Dee' performance. I think it fits the medium and I'm not sure a natural voice would fit as much.

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Well, who's to say Temuera was never invited to voice the clones in TCW? He might have turned it down because he's not into voice work, or didn't want to commit to such a long project, or maybe he asked for too much money. Or maybe they didn't ask him at all...

Anyway, I'm really pleased with Dee Bradley's work with the clones. He adds a lot of character and variation to them. I don't think it would be too different with Temuera, so I'm not complaining.

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, I'm loving Dee Bradley Baker as the clones...granted, Temuera Morrison's a major star who did a great job with the clones he portrayed, but Dee Baker's no slouch either. I'm glad he's on board. :D

Besides, movie stars in Hollywood are generally much harder to get a hold of (prices, schedules, interests, and the like). That's why some shows are reduced to finding schmucks from the audio department or elsewhere to voice various characters. [face_laugh]

Though I DO think the voice work for the series has been phenomenal as a whole. :D

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'll always enjoy Temuera's portrayal of the clones, and I wish he would have done the clones in TCW. Baker is good, but he sounds too wooden/over exaggerates at times. The clones sound completely different to me when I first heard them in TCW.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Tem has done voice work in the past - he did Jango in the SW: Bounty Hunter videogame. I'd have liked to see him as the voice or a voice of the clones. Perhaps he had other commitments.

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    He also did Boss in RC. I'm sure he was busy, and therefore he couldn't commit to the TCW project.

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    While Temura Morrison is great in the films can he claim to be voice behind a mad, german goldfish with diabolical schemes and a short temper?

[image=http://blog.peta2.com/klausthefish.PNG]

I'm still holding out for my clone with Klaus' voice.[face_laugh]

I personaly prefer Dee Bradley Baker's voice for TCW anyway. He has the training to subtely change the vocal infliction in his voice to help portray the clones as seperate characters, as beings who think for themselves, while also keeping an element of Morrison's bad-assery.

10. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    DBB also got a solid laugh out of a Ziro the Hutt bit (the "Oh God" in "Hostage Crisis")... no small feat.

11. ratssraw

ratssraw Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2009
    I think Mr. Baker does a great job. Obviously it would be better with Temuera Morrison as the voice of all the clones, but as far as Mr. Baker, I am happy with his performances.

12. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    Agreed. And to back up what someone else said, I'm not sure I can tell the differences between his clone voices. I'm sure he can tell, but, as a great Jedi once said, maybe my senses aren't that attuned.

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    From an acting standpoint, I think Baker generally does a better job than Morrison.

My main problem with Baker is that his version of Morrison's accent SOUNDS like an actor doing an accent, not a character voice. It can be distracting.

14. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007

A lot of it isn't really noticeable other than the 4 or 5 different ones he does but if you listen carefully(like you can with Season 1 now available) it is pretty noticeable, just slight differences mind you but it's there.

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I'd still go with Mr. Morrison for the clones' voices. :p

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I personally like the clones not all sounding like Mr. Morrison, personally-it echoes the old Republic Commando video game, where only you sounded like Jango and the other three clones sounded like whoever their trainers were. It makes sense for Boba to sound like Jango, but unless the other clones are really big on imitating Jango, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them to be sounding like someone they never had a great deal of contact with.

17. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Morrison sounded a lot more natural, and Baker sounds more like an impression. I do like Baker, though. He is a talented fellow, and they are lucky to have him as part of the Clone Wars cast.

I wish they would start to move away from the accent, though. I think that's what makes it sound "more like an impression" instead of a natural character voice. Since they no longer have contact with Jango, it would make sense for the accents to start fading away.

18. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    I'm sure that the reason for Morrison's nob-involvement in TCW were rather productional. With the schedule they have they'd rather have a voice actor who is always nearby for the recording (Morrison is from New Zealand!), and who can also occasionally do other characters. Btw, I also rather liked how Baker handled Boba Fett in the Sith Edition of TFU.

19. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    While I think Dee Bradley Baker does a fine job, his "Here they cooooome!" Clone Trooper yell in the preview at Celebration 4 sent shivers down my spine, I wish they would have gotten Temuera Morrison to do the Clone voices instead.

Dee Bradley Baker sometimes slips too far into a heavy Australian accent. At least that's what it sounds like to me.

20. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    DBB is doing an awesome job, but I think I'll stick with Temuera Morrison's voice.

21. ChrisMathers

ChrisMathers Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2008
    Baker's good at doing all sorts of different voices for the clones. Cody sounds kinda laid back, Rex not so much, O'Niner sounded all by-the-book and serious, Cutup had that Scottish accent, Bly sounds rather angry, the Navy officers sound more like the Imperial officers from TESB.

But I was thinking - if we ever see Commander Ganch from the Act on Instinct webcomic, Baker should give him a German accent.

22. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Temura Morrison IS the voice of the clones as well as jango and boba.

The guy that does it now try's to sound like him and fails. He just makes them all sound Australian while Temura actually made them sound badass. When Temura Morrison did it it wasn't just an accent you were hearing it was his very distinct "cool sounding" voice.

I have always said that this show would be 10 times better if we just had two of the actual people doing the voices-

1.)Hayden Christensen for anakin.

and

2.)Temura Morrison for all the clones.

What a crying shame that lucas or his team didn't make any REAL effort to get them on the show, i mean a REAL effort like actually making them a simple offer money wise. Hayden Christensen even publicly expressed interest in reprising his role for anakin on the show but they never even made him an offer! WHY???!!

I like this show because every once in a while it feels like real star wars but if they had HC doing the voice of Anakin instead of this unknown, random pretty boy they got doing it now then it would ALWAYS feel like star wars.

MATT LANTER ALWAYS SOUNDS LIKE AN OVERLY ENTHUSIASTIC SUMMER CAMP COUNCILOR!!!

-you know it to be true. ;)

23. SoonerSean

SoonerSean Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    I met Baker at Fan Days back in October... very nice guy. I think he does a great job with the voices and it's neat to hear different ones sound slightly different from the next. You can tell he works hard at it.

I don't doubt that Lucas probably at some point contemplated using the actual actors from the films... but I bet that most wouldn't want to do a regular TV series. It's a grind even in animation and hard for "movie stars" to commit to the schedule. Most of the actors on CW are voice actors and that's it (Baker for example is on multiple animated shows). So while Christensen might have said he'd like to do it - he may not have realized the work involved.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    You have a problem with Lucas casting an "unknown, random pretty boy" as Anakin?

Where were you back at the start of the decade?;)

25. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Dee Bradely all the way!

I'm curious to see how the new Mandolorians sound under those helmets. I'm still super bummed they got rid of the old Boba Fett voice in the OT and replaced it with Temura. Yes, for continuity sake it's cool... but 1/2 the reason I loved Boba was because of that voice under the helmet.

And, yes, I said loved... as in past tense. Karen Traviss killed him for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.