main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Tenacious D - In The House! (American Theatre)

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedigal, Oct 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Saw The D at the American Theatre last night. AWESOME!

JB and KG played most all their big 'hits', they had totally insane little 'skits' all through the show, they were rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, and I wish the show had lasted longer. :)

JB may not be the prettiest man in the world, but he DOES have sex appeal.

The audience probably ranged from 16-55, with a surprisingly large number of kiddies there. When they played their "Land of the Lost" parody and a couple other things, it was SO painfully obvious that the kiddies were there b/c Tenacious D curse and get incredibly raunchy, and not b/c they 'get' a lot of the stuff. But that just provided another source of entertainment for us old fogeys.

It was my first time to see a show at the American Theatre. It's a pretty nice venue. Of course, the seats are ENTIRELY too small. The building's a bit run down, but it's that fancy schmancy style like the Fox Theatre, which is fun. It's small and tall, and much cooler than some places where the bad seats are so VERY bad. Here, the bad seats still allow you to see some facial expression, etc. so I call that pretty nice.

It being in downtown St.L. didn't seem to be a problem. We didn't have any problem finding it, but I'm not exactly inexperienced with StL geography. Since it was Sunday night we were able to find parking on the street and save a few $, but I wonder if it would be the same on a weeknight.

2. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Hmmm.... Apparently no one is familiar with the wonders of The D. How sad for all of you. ;)

3. Princess_Robin

Princess_Robin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    nope 'fraid not...sorry

4. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Maybe you need to direct Le_P here. :)

5. Princess_Robin

Princess_Robin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Wait I think I heard a song from them on the radio last night...granted it was the first time I had my radio plugged in in a month or so....but hey...I had to listen to something while taking down all the stuff on my walls *sniff*

6. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Robin, is the new place not gonna be as cool as the old? If not, I'll be sad with you.

I didn't know that The D actually got any airplay. That would be cool if true. Yeah, BF, I bet Penguin WOULD know them.

7. JediRush

JediRush Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2001
    Actually, another D fan here. Have been a fan of JB for awhile, but was moreso after seeing him in High Fidelity (John Cusak fan, too). His take on Let's Get It On was great!!
    And, I did hear, a couple of weeks ago The D on the Point - they played "Tribute".

Sadly, missed both shows (American Theatre and St. Chaz Family Arena.)

8. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Thank goodness!!!!!

I was getting really concerned that I was the only person on this forum who was completely and unequivocably cool. You have restored my faith in the coolness of SW fans.

9. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey, peeps! I've heard of Tenacious D, but have not really listened to them myself. But I did see a rockin' Ben Folds concert her at NIU this past Monday. I mean, this guy can play piano!

10. Darth_Athena

Darth_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    Tenacious D is pretty cool. Both songs: wonderboy and tribute have been getting airplay on the point. BUt I saw them when they opened at the weezer concert on Nov 29. They were hilarious! It was an awesome show, and Jack Black is a real showman. It was great!

11. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh yeah, and speaking of Jack Black, has anyone seen Shallow Hal? Now, if you did, don't go posting any spoilers, cuz I haven't seen it yet. And I AM going to. JB's da man! Maybe I'll go today.

12. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    I haven't gotten into the D very much....Saw them on Burly TV (TBS LATE nights) and on Space Ghost Coast to Coast. I personally haven't seen the whole comedic value...lol

*shrugs* Back to life
    Steve

13. Darthtrader

Darthtrader Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2001
    I know who Jack Black is but I'm not
    familiar with Tenacious D. However I have
    seen many a show at the American including
    White Zombie,Helmet,Rollins Band and Filter
    Have You seen a show there in the middle
    of summer?You wouldn't think it's so cool
    a place if you had.No A/C talk about hot