main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Tenel Ka Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by twilek69, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Hi! I am wanting to do a Tenel Ka costume and I am not having any luck finding reference pictures. If you know of any could you post a link please?
    Thanks!

2. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    [image=http://www.starwars.hu/pix/enciklopedia/vilaga/karakterek/tenel_ka/tenel-ka3.jpg]

Thats all I could find. have you ttried looking at the young jedi knight books for decriptins or the covers?

3. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks! That is the one picture I found also. The YJK books I have do not have her on the cover. I will keep looking though. In the books they don't really describe her outfit as being shorts. I will have to do more research and maybe fit it to my tastes a little. Should be fun!
    Thanks again!

4. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    The Lightsabers book has her on the cover I know. The others I am not sure about.

I can't link to the actual pic, but here is a address:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0425169510/ref=sib_dp_pop_fc/104-8631137-1563164?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S001#reader-link

EDIT: Hmmm...I thought there was another pic on the covers, but nothing but head pics [face_plain]

5. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    a girl after my own heart. i alway wanted to make a singing mountain clan costume. something about a lizard skin costume. there is a message board for the singing mountain clan but i cant remember where.

6. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks for the link. I think I might wing it a little. I don't care for the short length of her pants so I might have to enlongate them a little and maybe wear thigh high boots. I will look for the singing mountain clan thread. I love the idea of lizard skin. I think that finding some pleather lizard skin might be hard, but I am not going to give up.

7. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    When we get closer to Halloween (probably just a little later into the summer) Jo-Anns should bring out the green scale-like stretchy pleather material. Not quite as stretchy as the stuff I made my Mara Jade out of, but still with some stretch.

And I KNOW I've seen Tenel Ka in a pic with something more like a short skirt. I wish I could find that pic for you!

EDIT:
    here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0425169995/ref=sib_dp_pop_fc/002-1716146-9764002?%5Fencoding=UTF8&p=S001#reader-link

But Darn! It doesn't look like a skirt there. :( Not that you can't put a little breechclout of a skirt onto it ;)

8. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks! I could do a short skirt. I am just not down with the biker short look. LOL!

9. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I think still doing the "biker shorts" would be good, but under the skirt. ;)
    Kwik sew has a pattern for a bodysuit that is like a one piece that might work well for that-- #2722. You can add the other layers of details over the base outfit. ;)

10. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Actually, the costume Tenel Ka is wearing on the cover of The Lost Onse is the same as the one that appears in the original Essential guide to Characters. It is a bodysuit with exposed legs and arms, as described in the book, so it is supposed to be shorts. She is not wearing a skirt the suit consists of a green reptile hide bodysuit cut off at roughly mid-thigh, over which is a black lizard skin leotard, and a green lizard skin vest with red lizard hide shoulder pads. Based upon what I can tell, the bodysuit and leotard stop just above the bust, and are strapless, and sleeveless, at least that is how they appear to me. Therefore, while you may not be "down with" the biker short look, that is the way Tenel Ka's costume is supposed to look like as shown in both the pictures, and in the description of the costume within the pages of the books themselves.

11. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    The costume does not have to be exact in my opinion. I am sure alot of people would disagree. But the whole fun of costuming is that, the interpretation, at least for me. I am not trying to win a contest for accuracy, just having a little fun with a character I like.

12. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    It may not need to be exact, but it would be better if it were as close as possible; otherwise, it really isn't that character, and people will notice. I saw a really good Tenel Ka costume at CIII, and she did get it very close to accurate. Another thing to look at is the function of the costume. It is meant to fight in, and a skirt would not have been practical for that purpose, it could hinder movement. Shorts provide a much greater range of motion. If you don't like the idea of "biker" shorts, make the shorts a bit shorter, but not too short.

13. twilek69

Apr 25, 2005
    Thanks I appreciate your comments. It just might be that this costume is not for me.

14. Darth-Andromalius

Darth-Andromalius Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2005
    Costuming should be fun, not text book. Try to capture the warrior essence of Tenel Ka, not the exact wardrobe, besides the descriptions in the books are sufficient to wing it.

P.S. if you do design a costume please post pics.[face_praying] [face_love]

15. Jada_Kraden

Jada_Kraden Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/the_enclave/yjk03.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/the_enclave/yjk04.jpg]

Hope this helps =)

16. Darth-Andromalius

Jul 8, 2005
    Speaking of Tenel Ka, has anyone tried to make a rancor tooth lightsaber?[face_thinking]
    That would definitely be unique as well as cool.:D

17. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    Besides, the character is EU and will not be known (and scrutinized) by the masses in the same way that say a OT or PT characters would be. I say do with it what you wish.

18. Darth_Aurora

Darth_Aurora Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2005
    Is there any easy - no scratch that, how about possible on a small budget - way to hide one's second arm? :confused:

19. StoyBoy720

StoyBoy720 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    Well, if you wanted to cheat it a little bit, you could theoretically make a Jedi robe or something for Tenel Ka, and make a pocket on the inside for yoiur right forearm to lay so it is hidden from view.

Just a thought.

20. Darth-Andromalius

Jul 8, 2005
    Or you could do pre-hacked Tenel Ka.[face_laugh]

21. Darth_Aurora

Darth_Aurora Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2005
    I'd considered that, but it would be kind of hard for me to pull off a character that young. [face_plain]

The robe idea sounds like it might work, though... a few ideas come to mind now with that.

22. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I have a couple pictures of TK here -- as well as a few people pulling off her YJK outfit here! I myself have only done post-YJK costumes of her ( the Strike Team from Star by Star and a Queen outfit from post-Dark Journey -- or Dark Nest, as well. ;) -- both with pictures on that same costume page ). With the Strike Team one, I usually just nonchalantly hid my arm behind one of the other members in pictures -- and for the Queen outfit I had the cloak wrapped strategically. :D Heeehehe~

As for her lightsaber, I made one normally, except sprayed the handle with this spiffy kind of textured spraypaint (I forgot the exact name of it. o_O) -- that made it look a bit tooth-ish. Heeehehe~ I don't have any pictures of just the lightsaber, but I think you can see it in a couple of the queen pictures on that costume page I linked above. :D (Well, you can kind of see it in the picture where Tahiri (my friend Sarah) and TK (myself) are being dorks and showing leg. :p) I'm planning on making a better one, I think. I just ran out of time and whipped that one together before CIII.

But yeah, make sure to post pictures when you're finished! I love filling up the cosplay section of my TK site. ;D!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.