Tennessee Volunteers needed!

Discussion in 'Nashville, TN' started by Kir Kanos, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    We are in the Volunteer state, so when in Rome... ;)

We need volunteers to pass out & post flyers up around the Nashville Area for our line-up.

We also need volunteers to sell advertising space in our program books to different merchants in the Nashville & Cool Springs area. All we need is some people to volunteer to go with us by twos and just hand the manager of each business the rate sheets, tell them a little bit about who we are, what we are doing, and that we are raising money for charity. They will have a specified date to contact me and submit their print add and payment. After this date, Lord Invar will send the program prototypes to the printers & we are good to go. This shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, maybe next Saturday.

These programs will include:

A non-spoiler synopsis of AOTC

A brief description of our Fan Force Chapter

A letter from the City Rep of our Fan Force Chapter (me)

Advertisements with coupon sheets

An autograph section

An envelope on the inside from cover to keep your ticket stub in.

Simple, effective, and commemorative. These will be complimentary with a $3+ donation to the Juvenile Diabetese Foundation. These programs will also contain a unique number or name, that may correspond to a STAR WARS question. There will be a question for each prize. If the person who has that number or name in their book steps forward and says, I have the answer, they will win one of many giveaway prizes we will be having. Sounds fun eh?

What we will probably want to do is meet next Saturday morning or afternoon, to briefly discuss the procedures and then we will go and talk to the managers of some of the businesses in the Cool Springs area. These are not pressure sales. You do not need to be a sales person to do this. All we need to do is inform them and give them the opportunity to contribute. By doing this, they will benefit as well. We are creating these programs to not only enhance our enjoyment in line opening day, but also to benefit a worthy charity. The advertising costs will hopefully pay for the printing costs of the programs with plenty left over to creat a banner, and purchase sustenance for our group during our wait in line. The programs will be an incentive to people to donate at least $3. Some will donate more. 100% of these proceeds will go to the NDRF. In return the advertising will benefit the businesses as well by getting people into their establishments.

Elan-Rai & I cannot do this on our own, so it is imparative that we have help from some of you. We need at least 6 other people to volunteer to help us with this next Saturday the 13th. About two hours is all we ask. Please reply if you can help. Thank you :)
  2. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    The prototype Rate Sheets Kir Kanos may have shown you folks at your meeting last night are JUST PROTOTYPES.

The ad rates are not yet settled as I am still awaiting quotations from the printers to come back so we can properly divide the printing costs into the price of each ad so we are not out of pocket for the program.

A Suggestion: If 107.5FM is going to be your primary sponsor - please check with them and/or Carmike Cinemas FIRST for Sponsorship funds - they may pay a huge chunk of what our expenses are. Make sure that you folks SELL the idea to The River (or Carmike) that their participation in assisting us is a SPONSORSHIP. I would imagine the River would by the target for a primary sponsorship - but there's no reason why we cannot have 2 or 3 Sponsors. (even a car dealer might jump on that opportunity). The Best Case Scenario is that the Sponsors will cover ALL of the production and out of pocket expenses.

Since we have designed the Program and Materials to include the River logo huge on the Program COVER, a full page AD on the inside and possibly the BANNER - a Sponsorship donation of $2,000 - $3,500 would be appropriate - especially since they would therefore also become the Defacto contributors to the Diabetes Foundation. The more money we can obtain from the sponsors to cover the printing costs of the Program, Flyers and banners - the more $$$ from the ads we sell can go directly to the charity.

A Sponsorship gets a full-Page ad in the program, their logo on the cover and the banner (if funds allow). They will also be named as Sponsors of the event in the copy in the program, all of your press and media releases - and on Radio ads or broadcast coverage of the line party itself.

My art and production time with my pal Keith to create the program and the banner (if we're able) is being donated for this event - so that's one less out-of-pocket expense you folks have to absorb.

Keith has also secured a place for both the Paducah and Nashville Thrifty Nickel's to run a donated display ad for the Line Party. Keith and I will create the art and ad for you and handle that aspect of the advertising.

For your meeting next week, we will hopefully have an idea on who is sponsoring us and how many pages of ads are available. Once this is determined - there will be a set number of ads and sizes available to sell. Once they are sold - they are gone - so first come and first placed. You folks will have to coordinate among one another. Perhaps assign a number of ad spaces and sizes that each member must sell. Keith and I will create their ads for them No Charge if they have no ad art ready and decide to run in the Program. We just need any logos from business cards or web-site pages, and any specific images they want to run in their ad.

Sorry that time is so short to do all this - but this is the nature of advertising. The difficult part is still not knowing for certain which theatre is going to have a 12:01 AM show in order to hold the line party.

But it will work itself out.
  3. JediToren Jedi Master

star 4
    "General, count me in."

I say we get togethor Saturday morning, pass out the materials and get going on this. From everything we've heard thus far, by Saturday we should know if there will be a midnight showing at the Thoroughbred and when tickets go on sale.

Scott, I know you sent some e-mails to the news stations a while back. Have you heard anything yet?
    If not, I think we need to put togethor a small packet of info, similar to what we are doing for advertisers, and snail mail it to the news stations.
  4. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Saturday around 9:30 ish maybe. We can meet at Atlanta Bread Company in Cool Springs. It just depends on how many people are available then. I know Hama has to work and Elan-Rai, I think is only available until 1:00. That would probably be a good time. If I have time, I will talk to a few businesses during the week. These are places that I have immediate contacts with and know that it's almost a sure sale. I'm also going to try to get Carmike to participate in this if they will cooperate with us on show times that is. We can also contact the River again just to confirm their attendance before we print flyers. I will do this just as soon as we have Carmike solidified as the theater for the line-party. As far as Coca Cola goes, I think they may be too much of a corporate giant to deal with a small group like us. We do not even have a 501C3 non-profit status, so I kind of doubt that they will take us seriously. But, it doesn't hurt to try. We just need to make certain that we track and account for every penny that comes in. We don't want to get into a legal situation with the I.R.S. about this money being perceived as "taxable income".

As far as the media goes, NO, they never replied to my e-mails. We will do a press release kit for them as soon as we have our theater and programs ironed out. Sometime by the end of the week. Snail-mail is probably a good idea. I'll talk with Toymaster and see if he can give us a hand in contacting FOX.
  5. LordINVAR Jedi Knight

star 2
    Don't discount anyone being a "sponsor". Coca Cola may be huge - but if you explain who you are - what you are doing it for and that the theatre SELLS Coke Products - I don't see why the local Coke company wouldn't sponsor you if asked. Since Pepsi bowed out of the Episode II promotion - what better way for Coke to get a little payback?

I think if you can get 3 Sponsors to cover all of our expenses - that will free- up our ability to donate all ad funds from the program AND the donations to the JDRF for the program itself. A much bigger success. Make The River your main target for a Sponsorship.

Hopefully Kir Kanos and I will have costs nailed so we know what to charge for a full sponsorship and the ads for the program.

Don't contact the media by phone until perhaps the day before. Send PRESS RELEASES to the media 3 weeks out - 2 weeks out and a few days before the event.

Make each Press Release newsworthy: such as - "The Nashville FanForce Chapter signs The River 107.5 FM as a sponsor for the Star Wars Epiosode II line party on May 15".....or...."Special guests announced; the Nashville FanForce announces that members of the 501st Stormtrooper legion from N. Carolina are going to attend the Star Wars Episode II Line Party in costume!"...and so on. Those headlines will then have deatils following and a contact for the media to reach. Then keep a record of all these releases so when the newspapers and TV people ask questions during the ticket-wait and line party event they have alot of information already handy to publish.
  6. TuskenJedi Jedi Padawan

Hey there, this is my first post on any message board. I'm Lord Invar's buddy Keith, my son and I are looking forward to hanging out with you guys in the line-up.

I have a few suggestions for selling the ads for the program. . .

You need to remember that most business owners and decision makers of businesses usually schedule themselves off on the weekends. Your best bet would be to try to catch them early in the morning or late in the afternoons not Wednesday afternoons(golfing day) or Friday (drinking day).

Also try and seek out businesses that you might personally visit as a consumer and as a typical Star Wars fan. For example when the show is over at 2 or 3 in the morning what type of business is going to be open? Waffle Houses, IHOP, truck stops, radio stations, convenience stores, motels, etc. You'll be more likely to sell to them if you genuinely feel like they would benefit from advertising in the program.

Be sure to mention the charity involved and that the proceeds benefit the charity. Don't say "A portion of the proceeds" because that can be misconstrued in a number of ways.

Just a few ideas I had. If I think of any more I'll let you know.
  7. TuskenJedi Jedi Padawan

If you guys are looking for more media attention, especially from the TV media and newspaper media you might try to contact a feature editor. They love a feel good story about the downtrodden overcoming the odds or a feature about children.

Since you are doing a fundraiser for children's diabetes you are a sure fire article or special interest feature on the local news. You have to think of an angle with the kids. For example the stormtrooper garrisons that visit the children's wards of the hospitals or if you have some of the kids in you charity actually participating in the line up or dressing up for the line up, that would be great. Feature editors eat that sort of thing up! Don't think I'm cold hearted about the subject, that's just the facts.

Contact them soon so they have plenty of time on their end to get something ready.
  8. TuskenJedi Jedi Padawan

Don't forget to seek out ads from places like comic book shops, book stores, antique stores that sell Star Wars toys, flea markets, toy stores, video game stores, CD exchange stores, new music stores, etc. The key is to get people to advertise that you would use their coupon for or buy their items.

You might even try tourist activities, the zoo, Opry Mills, that sort of thing. I was in Nashville this weekend with my wife and kids and we went there, great places go! But, they were really the only places that we knew of. I went to the Great Escape only because I knew it was there and asked where it was from one of your lovely Hooters girl at the Downtown location (Your Hooter girls are MUCH nicer looking than the ones in Evansville, IN, that's where we usually go).

You might even tell the comic shops and toy stores my story. If I had known about them I would have went there. We spent more money at the Great Escape than we did at Opry Mills. But their advertisment has got to get in front of the right people...the people in our line! Perfect demographic for them.
  9. RocketX Jedi Knight

star 1
    Lets also not forget other associated groups in and around town like Starship Athena, the Nashville Anime group, Vanderbuilt Sci-Fi club (not sure if they are still around) These are the folks that will likely do the midnight showing stuff and could possibly help out with $$$. Can we get a online flyer to e-mail some of these guys?
  10. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Good points. Thanks for the suggestions guys. We'll definitely need to talk to the "Outer limits comics & collectibles" on 96. I will try to contact as many businesses in the Cool Springs area, but if anybody wants to contact businesses in other areas around Nashville, you are more than welcome to. The more businesses we have the better. We'll try to get the big ones first like Carmikeg (or Regal if it comes to that), 107.5 the River, and Coca this week. By the weekend we will hopefully have a better idea on where we stand with the programs financially and go from there.

Please do not contact the businesses until you have a rate sheet from us in hand. Unless of course if you personally know someone that is the manager or high up in the managerial chain. Then you can mention it to them and let them know that we will have rates for them by the end of the week. Please e-mail me if they sound interested.

As far as the flyers go, we'll include that in the press release kit. We just need to confirm that Carmike is without a shadow of a doubt where we will be seeing the 1st showing of AOTC in the Nashville area. We can upload the flyer to the Nashvilleforce.com website once this is confirmed.
  11. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    Once the flyers are finished and our plans confirmed...I can spread a few around Murfreesboro. A couple of comic shops, maybe the MTSU campus.
  12. pogo1138 Jedi Padawan

i live in Murfreesboro if you need any help.
  13. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Saturday is mostly going to be a flyer distribution meeting and an instructional meeting for garnering sponsorships. I'm going to do the majority of the contact work, I just need you guys to do some of the leg work and meet with them in person. Don't fear, this is not going to be difficult and we are not going to blame you if you aren't able to get someone to advertise. If they don't, that's their loss. No biggy ;) . There will be plenty of businesses that will jump at this opportunity.

I don't expect for us to actually go out and talk to businesses Saturday. The only way we will is to drop off the information for the managers to look over the material at the beginning of the week. Most managers do not work weekends. I'm going to compile a list of possible businesses to contact, and start contacting them via phone one by one and faxing over the information to them. Once I do that, I will contact them again the next day and see if we can set up a time to meet. Let me know what days you are available and I'll try to schedule them when you are available.

I thank you guys ahead of time for helping out with this. :)
  14. RocketX Jedi Knight

star 1
    I cant make Sat, I'll be down at the Atlanta Comic-Con. I think Great Escape, Game Exchange, Game Trader, Funcoland, Outerlimits, are all potential sponsers. I can talk to some of those guys.
  15. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Rocket-X. :) PM me your e-mail address & I'll send you a .jpeg of the rate sheets and the worksheet.
  16. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to work Saturday, but, I will be in Franklin on Tuesday.
  17. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Scruff. :) Tuesday would be great. Any day you guys have, I'll see if I can schedule at least one meeting with one of the businesses. I've got 2 almost definite sponsors so far. I'm currently working on a associative sponsor as well as a primary one. I'll keep everyone abreast of our situation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.